QB Problem?????

I just watched Will McBride's film for the first time. I was very surprised. He's a baller. He reminds me of Eric Crouch from the 90's at Nebraska. He's tough, he's got that 6th sense of being able to get out of a jam while scrambling (like Dobbs), he's a really good runner with some speed and agility, and he's got an accurate arm (he's one up on Crouch in that regard).

I've seen threads on here about playing two QB's. Let's face it, when good QB's don't get to play these days, they transfer. There's no sitting behind the #1 guy and waiting it out any more. Let's face also the fact, that Butch and staff are playing this thing out to the hilt to keep one of their QB's from transferring. I don't believe in the two QB system and same goes for 90% of coaches and I seriously don't think Butch does either.

With McBride waiting in the wings, I think we're going to be good either way. Even if for example, QD is named QB, and JG transfers, we will have a good QB in queue in case QD is injured. As far as him being freshman? Remember, Dobbs got some of his first action against the might Bammers and he did okay, not great, but okay.

It's still off season and folks are grasping at straws to stir conversation. This is my attempt. Your thoughts?

***k it lets play a 3 QB system

Reactions: 3 people
Just because he "waited his turn" doesn't mean he should automatically be the starter.

The best player should play, period.

He will start GT and will be the starter until he costs us a game.

Book it. I have a source.

They do when they choose to be part of a big time program. Maybe when we allow ourselves to think that way about ours, we can accept that winning mentality.

I used to think that way, but times really are different. Way more kids choose to transfer now because they don't want to sit, even at a big time program. It's just how it is. With all of the TV coverage, even smaller school QB's are getting noticed, and these kids know it. The trend is there, and will only grow.

Reactions: 1 person
We talking about this right now and got 2 more with skills verbally committed right now. Looks like coaches get to earn them $$$$$

First off Mr. Bain... I got a new phone I got a new phone I swear!... I'm not responsible for technology!

Secondly... we got a lot more then 3 QB's guys. Remember the kid that transferred from Cali? I think we have like 6 viable qb on the roster if you count commits right now!

Reactions: 2 people
I used to think that way, but times really are different. Way more kids choose to transfer now because they don't want to sit, even at a big time program. It's just how it is. With all of the TV coverage, even smaller school QB's are getting noticed, and these kids know it. The trend is there, and will only grow.

Kids and their parents are smarter about the collegiate athletic experience these days. Truth is you have to be somewhat focused on yourself some because the institution has it's own focus and an individual kid can get screwed. No player gets better riding the pine and watching everybody else
play. Seems like we see kids at the QB position especially destined for the bench at one institution flourish at another. Peterman and the Okie QB who transferred in from TX Tech are two recently who come to mind.

Reactions: 3 people

Check out Ohio State's depth chart. The one that just added Tate Martell. I'm one that predicted Sheriron Jones would transfer when it was cemented that a classmate or a RS freshman would start and/or be ahead of him on the depth chart...it's all about eligibility. And it seems McBride was ahead of him, maybe due to injuries. It's not about SITTING...it's length of time in doing so. Dormady has two seasons of eligibility with a redshirt to burn in a transfer. JG wins the job out of camp and it would be shocking if Dormady do what's right for himself. That being said, the list of transfers that died on the vine at another program makes one really analyze team rosters and recruiting boards. If Dormady wins the nod, JG sits with knowledge that he could ascend on any play. Can't do that burning a year of eligibility at another school where other QB's are getting playing time without you as an immediate threat.

I hate to tell you guys this but I keep hearing QD will be here two years and I hate to tell you this but he wll be going strait to the pro's. That is his goal. He won't be here next year.

Kids and their parents are smarter about the collegiate athletic experience these days. Truth is you have to be somewhat focused on yourself some because the institution has it's own focus and an individual kid can get screwed. No player gets better riding the pine and watching everybody else
play. Seems like we see kids at the QB position especially destined for the bench at one institution flourish at another. Peterman and the Okie QB who transferred in from TX Tech are two recently who come to mind.

IF they're destined for the bench. After 3 seasons at Tennessee that was apparent for Peterman. And he had the graduate transfer route to save eligibility. If Texas Tech honors their promise of a scholarship to a kid that started and flourished as a true freshman walk-on, then the Oklahoma Mayfield story doesn't happen.

I hate to tell you guys this but I keep hearing QD will be here two years and I hate to tell you this but he wll be going strait to the pro's. That is his goal. He won't be here next year.

That would be great...if it was as simple as a DECISION. He has to play lights out to make that a wise decision, and if he does? No one should "hate" that development.

That would be great...if it was as simple as a DECISION. He has to play lights out to make that a wise decision, and if he does? No one should "hate" that development.

No he can simply declare for the draft no matter what or he can enter into the supplemental... lots of ways to try out after the draft. It's not all about the draft. He is going pro after this year... guaranteed.

No he can simply declare for the draft no matter what or he can enter into the supplemental... lots of ways to try out after the draft. It's not all about the draft. He is going pro after this year... guaranteed.

He doesn't seem the type to "go pro" without the stock. Cuz then he isn't a guaranteed pro.

We have a barn full of great QB's right now and may the best man play. It's a good problem to have. And yes, WM is not getting the attention because he is slight shorter in stature, but I will continue to say he is a deadly QB with some serious guns on him. He's young and looks as strong as anyone on the team already. He's built a little like Paul Bane (please don't hurt me PB).

Can not argue with what you say. Have few ways to evaluate players, just go on what I here on here. However, you have used the word "great" (as have others) to describe players that none of us have a handle on. I think we should find a another word or words like "potentially good". Seeing the word "great" leaves me less likely to pay attention to a post.

We have a barn full of great QB's right now and may the best man play. It's a good problem to have. And yes, WM is not getting the attention because he is slight shorter in stature, but I will continue to say he is a deadly QB with some serious guns on him. He's young and looks as strong as anyone on the team already. He's built a little like Paul Bane (please don't hurt me PB).

>>>>

This is the bottom line!

But doesn't always happen this way. All the way from pee wee through college in all sports (pros usually play the best) You know the drill, someone's kid, race, powerful supporter's friend's kid, and on and on and on. This is the way it happens most of the time.

Happened to a QB from Fla St a few years ago!

Coker? The graduate transfer who had to sit for a year anyway because he didn't win the job at Bama? Didn't he transfer after the RS freshman beat him out THEN won the Heisman? Are you looking at a database that has the guaranteed worst examples to use on a message board post? :)

VN Store

Back