Re- Watched the Mizzu game

Meh.

They are a complete team but that Vols team could have beaten them. I would have liked to have played them at full strength and without the distractions - but life isn't fair.

I really wanted this win because the Missouri fans I have interacted with, are complete *******s.

They have a division championship. Whoo hooo. Their fans act like they are coming off back to back national championships. Really would have liked to shut them up.

They're over on Tigerboard.com talking like they blew us out. Like 29-21 is just an utter beatdown.

Whatever. We get them on the road next year. UT will be a different team by then,
I agree the score was close and UT by all justification should have gotten the opportunity to tie it up BUT I would say Mizzou dominated us all game long. They manhandled our Oline, controlled our WRs for the most part, and won the turnover battle, they also exploited our weakness in the secondary when they needed to.

i felt this game was similar to the Oklahoma game. We were out matched but not by much, and in the end the turnovers killed us. In before someone talks about the point spread difference.

football is a team sport, defense and special teams (especially) did enough to win the game, offense did not. they put together a much better performance than we did and it showed.

Missouri was the better team. They controlled the game. However, due to the Vols' 'Never-give-up' attitude, Tennessee could have won the game even though they were out-matched.

Reactions: 1 person
Takeaways....Can't rough passer on 3rd down. 3 pts to Mizzou. JM has to make that catch. Possible 7 pts for UT.
Where was Hurd wildcat play?
How about a 2 tight end set sometimes to slow Mizzou DE on pass rush.
J. Johnson 1 tackle....AJ averages 8 tackles a game.
Special teams gets a A grade for the game.

Mizzou coaching staff made better decisions also. We should have challenged them down the field. Running and short dump passes plays right into their hands. It allows them to pin their ears back and bring lots of pressure.
Op and others like to name all the advantages Mizzou had over us. We had a few advantages as well. That's why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite!

That's not why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite. Vegas doesn't factor in the strengths and weaknesses of the teams. Vegas factors in what line would bring in close to even money and too many people were fooled by the poor SC and KY defenses into thinking TN Oline has vastly improved. A strong defense showed the problems still exist.

I think Malone will really have a tuff time getting on the field next year, either the game is too fast for him or he just a bit soft.
Not sure, hate to be so hard on the kid but its what I see.

Like it or not Mizzou IS a good team. They have brain farts just like other teams do. Hence their unexplained losses. But if you compare their team from last year to this on. It's about the same. They have a lot of speed off the ends and that blows everything up in the backfield. We were just outquicked this year. We get our next class in here, we will take another step in that direction. We have some slow guys left and some guys that still don't tackle well... We gave up a lot of yards after contact the other nite. But we stayed till the end, and the comeback was a little short. I like that our guys don't quit. That will pay off for us down the road. We will get that 6th one this weekend and move on from there.. Good times are a comin'

The first 5 minutes (actually less) set the tone for the entire game. Injuries or not, we were not playing with as much "drive" as we have in the past. There are a lot of loud mouths that do not believe MO should have been let into the SEC because they weren't up to SEC standards! I realize that has been a couple of years ago, they do deserve to be in the SEC, they've played as well as any and better than most (UT included) for the last couple of years. Sometimes you just get beaten by a better team-on Saturday MO was the better team. I didn't see any "bad calls", in fact MO had a lot (more than 10) calls on them-all deserved. Our only hope is to beat Vandy, for all those that thought we'd kick MO's ass by at least 10 points, double down. Vandy isn't quite the "easy win" everyone thinks it is. Do I think we'll win, yes, do I think Vandy has a fair chance, yes. We'd better have a better attitude in that game than we did on Sat.

bunch of freshmen actually played like a bunch of freshmen. That's what I saw. People got over-excited because we had a great game and rolled Kentucky. Suddenly some had us comparable to a top 10 team.

[/B]

That's not why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite. Vegas doesn't factor in the strengths and weaknesses of the teams. Vegas factors in what line would bring in close to even money and too many people were fooled by the poor SC and KY defenses into thinking TN Oline has vastly improved. A strong defense showed the problems still exist.

Bs. The line is based in who they anticipate winning the game. When all the advantages/weaknesses were weighed out... They made us the favorite. You can sit there and talk about how good their front 4 are all you want but we had advantages also. When they were all factored together... We were supposed to win the game. What they didn't consider was that Butch would once again be to scared to win the game. Pretty soon recruits are going to take notice and stop commuting to play for us. Why the hell don't we go out there and take advantage of every opportunity to try to score. Just sucks to be a vol fan. We finally have a guy that bleeds orange, works his azz off, and recruits like hell... But he's scared to death to take any chances. And you'll never win big in this league without rolling the dice multiple times every game. When Florida was great with Tebow they went for it on fourth Damn near ever they were 3 yards to go or less. They converted a lot of those but more importantly the team knew urban believed in them and played their asses off for him

Last edited:
Bs. The lime is based in who they anticipate winning the game. When all the advantages/weaknesses were weighed out... They made us the favorite. You can sit there and talk about how good their front 4 are all you want but we had advantages also. When they were all factored together... We were supposed to win the game. What they didn't consider was that Butch would once again be to scared to win the game. Pretty soon recruits are going to take notice and stop commuting to play for us. Why the hell don't we go out there and take advantage of every opportunity to try to score. Just sucks to be a vol fan. We finally have a guy that bleeds orange, works his azz off, and recruits like hell... But he's scared to death to take any chances. And you'll never win big in this league with out rolling the dice multiple times every game. When Florida was great with Tebow the went for it in fourth Damn near ever this they were 3 yards to go or less. They concerted a lot of those but more importantly the team knew urban believed in the and played their asses off for him

Did you ever consider going into coaching? You are so much smarter than Butch, despite the fact he sees our players daily and you only see them on Saturdays, that I bet you could take TN (or any team for that matter) to a National championship.

And if, as you say, "it sucks to be a Vols fan", jump on over to urbie's team. We will be fine without you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hurd said that Mizz D was the best he's faced all year.

'Nough said.

(and we still had a chance or two to beat them with true freshmen, distractions, etc.)

We NEED A BOWL GAME AND EXTRA PRACTICES.

Bs. The lime is based in who they anticipate winning the game. When all the advantages/weaknesses were weighed out... They made us the favorite. You can sit there and talk about how good their front 4 are all you want but we had advantages also. When they were all factored together... We were supposed to win the game. What they didn't consider was that Butch would once again be to scared to win the game. Pretty soon recruits are going to take notice and stop commuting to play for us. Why the hell don't we go out there and take advantage of every opportunity to try to score. Just sucks to be a vol fan. We finally have a guy that bleeds orange, works his azz off, and recruits like hell... But he's scared to death to take any chances. And you'll never win big in this league with out rolling the dice multiple times every game. When Florida was great with Tebow the went for it in fourth Damn near ever this they were 3 yards to go or less. They concerted a lot of those but more importantly the team knew urban believed in the and played their asses off for him

maybe you should let the little dude in your avi post instead of you. he might have more sense

Many vol fans don't want to admit it but mizzou was a better team. the score was accurate to the talent

Much as I would like to, I can't disagree ... but, damn it, we did leave plays unmade on the field that woulda made a significant difference. Oh well, can move on now.

I think Malone will really have a tuff time getting on the field next year, either the game is too fast for him or he just a bit soft.
Not sure, hate to be so hard on the kid but its what I see.

You are free to express your opinion ... but I vehemently disagree with it.

Malone is a true freshman; seems like those are the Vols that get bashed the most. Even Peyton had plenty of screw-ups as a freshman. Everybody can grow and learn with a little time.

Even with the injuries and Missouri having a big edge in their DL v. our OL the game still came down to just a few big plays. Malone makes that catch keeps the drive alive instead of the INT. who knows what happens; and then those two pass plays for 4th qtr TD's Mauk to Sasser were killers. I know many have beaten up Coleman and Sutton over those plays but give a little credit to Missouri. Two fantastic throws and catches.

I admit that Mizzou was a better team but mostly due to excellent player development and coaching.

Pinkel's in his 14th season at Missouri. Jones is in his second in Knoxville. Might be one reason for the difference in player development :crazy:

bunch of freshmen actually played like a bunch of freshmen. That's what I saw. People got over-excited because we had a great game and rolled Kentucky. Suddenly some had us comparable to a top 10 team.
There is an old football saying that coaches say..."there are no freshman in November"

There is an old football saying that coaches say..."there are no freshman in November"

Well, we threw ONE pass to him, which he initially did grab but just tried to run with it before he secured it, as MANY a footballer has done. If we had thrown 5 to him, he might have been the hero of the game, but we'll never know, as he got no chance for redemption in this past game.

Malone'll be a'ight.

Dobbs couldn't get out of that pocket as easily as many think. Rush lanes started with contain angles almost without exception. And I, too, was unpleasantly surprised by the speed and physicality of the DL. Better athletes won the day.

Take away the trick/gimmick/filling an inside straight play and the garbage time t.d., and you have a blowout which comes closer to the actual game that was played. Jones and company have made progress. Jones and company have still got a helluva long way to go.

VN Store

Back