Re- Watched the Mizzu game

Take away the trick/gimmick/filling an inside straight play and the garbage time t.d., and you have a blowout which comes closer to the actual game that was played. Jones and company have made progress. Jones and company have still got a helluva long way to go.

Were both of the TDs against South Carolina garbage time? With that onside kick going our way, we're not far off from repeating the 2 TD comeback to go to OT and your tune would probably be a bit different. There's a reason they play the whole game.

Did you ever consider going into coaching? You are so much smarter than Butch, despite the fact he sees our players daily and you only see them on Saturdays, that I bet you could take TN (or any team for that matter) to a National championship.

And if, as you say, "it sucks to be a Vols fan", jump on over to urbie's team. We will be fine without you.

Not really sure why you feel the need to criticize anyone with a different opinion than your own. And I don't root for urban's team because I'm a die hard vol fan. Unfortunately I believe within the next couple of years just about everyone will come to share the same opinion as I have now.

Not really sure why you feel the need to criticize anyone with a different opinion than your own. And I don't root for urban's team because I'm a die hard vol fan. Unfortunately I believe within the next couple of years just about everyone will come to share the same opinion as I have now.

Nope....never. You're on your own.

Reactions: 1 person
Missouri was the better team. They controlled the game. However, due to the Vols' 'Never-give-up' attitude, Tennessee could have won the game even though they were out-matched.

And their kicker's never make an extra point attitude.

Butch has been noting the lack of depth all season, and it was clearly obvious here. Most of these young guys will be better next year, but we do need some work on the O-line, the area that concerns me most. Also, need to figure out how to keep these guys healthy. For example, Josh Smith is a very good WR, along with North, but they don't help much from the sidelines.

Reactions: 1 person
I was one of the guys that got caught up in the emotions of the loss. Hindsight, we fought as hard as our talent would let us. Go Vols!:good!:

Yeah... I was one of those too... drinking and watching my vols lose, is not a good combination. . Sorry if I said anything that made people mad, or was in poor taste... I just can't stand to see us lose.. it affects me for days.. you'd think I'd be used to by now, but nope... still hurts like a mutha...

Last edited:
Mizzou coaching staff made better decisions also. We should have challenged them down the field. Running and short dump passes plays right into their hands. It allows them to pin their ears back and bring lots of pressure.
Op and others like to name all the advantages Mizzou had over us. We had a few advantages as well. That's why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite!

The line opened at 3 points, which is basically saying they thought the teams were even with UT having the 3 point home field advantage, and I think that line was set before the news on the suspensions came out. Losing Johnson definitely hurt the defense, and Crowder's loss hurt the O-line. Dobbs simply didn't have the time for longer passes most of the evening.

Dont forget how much everyone was down on Dobbs last year as a true freshman. Malone has had a decent year and made some good plays for us as a TF. He will only improve next year.

I have to disagree here since you failed to mention our best WR-PIG.

was going to say the same thing if someone else didn't..

How could you possibly leave him out of the conversation, not to mention give him credit for the beast he is.

Guy has the most receptions for a reason. He gets the ball, and then gets yards.

I admit that Mizzou was a better team but mostly due to excellent player development and coaching.

There team, especially defense reads.. junior, redshirt junior, senior, REDSHIRT SENIOR.

Vs our offense.. which reads.. TRUE freshman, sophmore.

And people want to talk about player development and COACHING?

we lost by 8 points, and were robbed by the refs..

If our players had 2-3 more years in the system, and that game plays out so different it is not even funny.

It is posts like this that show how truly clueless much of our fanbase is on how Football works.

And you wonder why those of us who have played the game laugh at you on a consistent basis.

This crap completely blows my mind.

Reactions: 3 people
Yep... we've essentially been a JV squad all season that is playing Varsity teams. We've practiced and played hard.... Scratched and clawed to stay in games and win others.
We've played above our potential at times (which gives us hope for the future and unrealistic expectations for the present).

no one wants to hear the youth excuse... but imo its kinda true. Player development is just that... development. It takes time. So... patience... my friends. Our time is coming!

Reactions: 3 people
I have to disagree here since you failed to mention our best WR-PIG.

Pig has played very well this year but, he had a number of critical drops which , if caught, would likely have produced points or at least kept drives alive. Not having North and Smith available was more than our offense could overcome.

Doesn't break enough tackles

too tall, would be better used as a TE. Overall, is a bit slow and injury-prone...

Jalen Hurd is a man! I cant wait to see him next season and the 2016 season will live in infamy. Biggest college football crowd EVER, and this team with 2 amazing classes that will be juniors and sophomores, and more than likely, another great class on the way!

My sons are 6,4,&2 right now. It appears that their best memories of football are gonna be as awesome as mine.

Go VOLS!

Good analysis, but can we add more into the special teams category? That fake field goal in the 2nd Q was about as well executed a fake as I've seen. Matt Darr's punts kept Mizzou backed up deep in their end for most of the 1st half. And Evan Berry was great again as a KR.

Berry's returns have been much better than Devrin's.

Offensive Line - where do I begin with these guys, I am not gonna beat up on them (its been done here enough) but wow these guys need teaching and bad. I dont know if its lack of talent or teaching but somethings gotta give. These are our guys next season too and there needs to be some big time development before next season. O line coach needs to earn his paycheck this offseason.

This is the biggest thing. During the replays I noticed the blocking of the O-line, or lack there of. Every time the Mizzou defense stunted it left one of the interior lineman open. Instead of sticking to his lane, he went for a double team. Shortly after the stunt defensive lineman ran right past him untouched. Happened several times. I also noticed that the DL that was being double teamed, didn't need to be, so the OL should have stayed in his lane.

This. Is. Coaching.

This is the biggest thing. During the replays I noticed the blocking of the O-line, or lack there of. Every time the Mizzou defense stunted it left one of the interior lineman open. Instead of sticking to his lane, he went for a double team. Shortly after the stunt defensive lineman ran right past him untouched. Happened several times. I also noticed that the DL that was being double teamed, didn't need to be, so the OL should have stayed in his lane.

This. Is. Coaching.

No not at all. Jesus could come and coach these guys and still would not prepare them, it takes time, they have the heart but not the technique. Technique does not come quickly, like anything in life you must work and then reap your rewards.

A d-line that successfully stunts is a d-line with experience AND is able to disguise stunts/coverages well.

I played offensive guard at Iowa, graduated in 2008. You can prepare for stunts all you want, nitpick replays, but in an actual game, with true game speed with an athletic d-line and an inexperienced o-line, the d-line will always reap havoc. All things considered losing 29-21 is not bad, at all.

Last edited:

This. Is. Coaching.

Apparently you've never played OL. It's all communication. That's on the OL.

Not critical of your stance, but I have been a VOL fan through good times and bad times. Never have I felt that "it sucks to be a vol fan". I assure you I will never share that sentiment, with you or anyone else.

VN Store

Back