Recruiting Football Talk VII

I dont follow or know enough about baseball, so this may sound like a smart-a$$ question, but it’s a legit question: why do we bother playing the midweek games if they dont even matter for anything? And if they do, then dont the losses matter a lot more?
Same reason football and basketball plays cupcakes. Gotta develop the depth

It's kinda like pass interference getting called on a bad throw down the sideline because the WR goes back to get the ball and runs into the defender. Bad throw by the QB looking for a back-shoulder ball gets rewarded and good positioning by the DB gets punished.
Well that is not how it works in baseball. The runner has a right to the base no matter where the ball is thrown. The first baseman has the choice to go after an errant throw or let the ball go. On that play the fielder initiated contact by going after the ball and in fact by rule the baserunner would be called safe if the contact caused him to miss the base. Under no circumstances should the baserunner have been called out on that play.

The running lane does not include the base and ends at the base which is where the collision occurred. That is rationale behind the extended base in some youth leagues and in NFHSA (high school) rules the runner can miss the base to avoid a collision and still be safe. That is not the case in college. That was a terrible call it is simple as that, anyone with a basic understanding of the rules could see that. I have rarely seen TV argue something that was not a legitimately bad call.
It’s the rule…. you are suppose to touch the outside part of the bag as you run by it… I agree that if they are going to have a running lane that they should extend the bag into foul territory… It is one of the most confusing rules in baseball.

What’s the up to date assessment of the roster with the new transfer commits? How many more is Kim gonna take, and who are the biggest wants?

3 spots left. Ruby Whitehorn is the big fish they’re after. That’s a battle but sounds like we are in the thick of things. Wouldn’t be shocked if CKC leaves an open spot.

Not after every first down
You only get so many opportunities to hear POTS play Rocky Top during games. The more the better. I don’t care what the band is celebrating. The more they play Rocky Top, the better our Volunteers are playing.

I want Rocky Top to be a weapon to demoralize our opponents and to embolden our team!

I don’t care if they play it for every player rotation. But that’s just me. I remember when Rocky Top was the most hated opponent fight song in the SEC. I want that back.

15-0 🤠 is just the beginning.

All games matter and Arkansas didn't lose a midweek game to a lousy Lipscomb team. I know it's baseball but still doesn't look good.

Hopefully I'm wrong we shall see.
No loss looks good. However, I do get your point. We should not lose to Lipscomb. But not going to freak out as I doubt that one game affects our national seed.

Because it’s a great way to get pitchers and back up players experience, who you will probably need next season and possibly even later in the season if there are some injuries.
Also, there are some hitters that might be in a slump that need work. It is good for the opposing team as well. Only so many innings and AB to go around. Some hitters don't like going four days without a live AB.

It’s the rule…. you are suppose to touch the outside part of the bag as you run by it… I agree that if they are going to have a running lane that they should extend the bag into foul territory… It is one of the most confusing rules in baseball.
They do extend the bag into foul territory in some youth leagues. There is no rule that stipulates touching the outside of the bag (there are times when the first baseman is on the outside in foul ground and the runner is forced to the inside), there is no stipulation as to where the runner has to contact the bag. It is in the rules that the runner as well as the fielder should avoid contact if possible.

While the turf was the likely factor in the glioblastoma out, one has to ask “what if it wasn’t”? Multiple teams had artificial turf. Was the Phillies turf different from others? Did players on other teams suffer the same fate? Those answers I don’t know.

Three of the affected players were pitchers and two were catchers. Only Vukovich was neither. He was a utility infielder…but later a manager/coach. What IF the cause was a foreign substance used by some of the pitchers on the team? Just a thought.

As stated, the turf was the likely cause…but inquiring minds……

Regardless, what a strange set of circumstances.

Edit: Veterans Stadium was home to the Phillies from 1971 - 2003 and home to the Eagles from 1971 - 2002. Did any Eagles players develop glioblastoma? Just curious.
Many sports teams had that same surface, I would tend to think if there is a connection it is something else I would wager performance enhancing drug, teams used to tend to use the same stuff.

Evidence from a number of sources suggests that endogenous steroid hormones may play a role in the development of gliomas.

Reactions: utvolmaniac
Anyone used THC/CBD for arthritis pain/inflammation? I see that there's a drug w/ this combination being used in the UK. I see meta studies show the combination effective at both the pain/inflammation and autoimmune (rheumatoid) levels.

Not looking to get high, but I need some major relief. I've refused steroids/methotrexate for 20 years since they tried to put me on that stuff. Have been able to manage without meds, but it's gotten bad. Like, knuckles the size of muscadines, and unable to sleep b/c of the pain.
I take Hemp Oil/CBD drops daily and I also take Tumeric/Curcumin daily (both are anti-inflammatory). I really notice when I don’t take them!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back