Recruiting Forum Football Talk LIII

Hasn't it been said that calling the plays is a pretty small part of what an OC does? I would assume that there is a great deal of preparation to the game plan, and the bulk of the work is in the plan and team prep. It isn't at all difficult to believe that success could be due to one Co-OC more than the other, regardless of who actually calls plays.

I hope Helton does great and He is more experience than Larry Scott. But that is not saying much. CBJ dug his own grave when he promoted CLS to OC

Reactions: 1 person
Schiano is the coaching version of Hillary Clinton. Nobody wants him but the media carries water for him at every turn. Bizarre.

Or is Schiano the coaching version of Donald Trump? Nobody wants him, but some media carries water for him despite the fact that he doesn't care about sexual assault. Bizarre.

Reactions: 7 people
I hope Helton does great and He is more experience than Larry Scott. But that is not saying much. CBJ dug his own grave when he promoted CLS to OC

Lets not forget that Coach Friend has been an OC as well. We have options and experience in the room

No less proven than any of Saban's first three OC's at Bama. He may be great here, he may not be, but he has a very solid track record as an OC.

A solid track record without being a play caller?

I know OC involves preparation and he has good experience in that capacity. But being a play caller in game involves lots of quick decision making and involves adjusting as the game goes on.
He will be learning on the job in that capacity. Pruitt must have a lot of confidence in him. I hope he does well, but there is a reason many OC cut their teeth at smaller schools

Brohm called plays

Could have sworn there was something shared when he was hired that said something about him having some playcalling duties but googling now I can’t find that anywhere so guess you’re right. I’m interested to see how he does.

Lets not forget that Coach Friend has been an OC as well. We have options and experience in the room

Yeah, Friend is the best offensive hire Pruitt made. I am not against Helton. I just think there will be a learning curve and success is not guaranteed

A solid track record without being a play caller?

I know OC involves preparation and he has good experience in that capacity. But being a play caller in game involves lots of quick decision making and involves adjusting as the game goes on.
He will be learning on the job in that capacity. Pruitt must have a lot of confidence in him. I hope he does well, but there is a reason many OC cut their teeth at smaller schools

Was it ever confirmed that he didn’t call plays at wku or is that an assumption?

Former Vol commit Shatar McClay decommited from UMASS earlier this month. Just caught that.

Also, anyone remember earlier this summer when we got some random 5 star 2020 players (WR, RB) to commit to us for like a month, and then decommit shortly thereafter? Good times....

No less proven than any of Saban's first three OC's at Bama. He may be great here, he may not be, but he has a very solid track record as an OC.

He's never called plays. I wouldn't go so far as "very solid track record as OC." That's like saying Petrino's OC has a solid track record as OC.

Because Ace is hell-bent on proving that Tyson is a risky choice. Which we all got. Many posts ago.

Not a slam dunk 100% choice in our eyes. For some reason, he was first on Pruitt’s wish list. Our new HC has impressed me with his organization and preparation. Gonna ride a little trust that he’s done research on those who are going to help establish his legacy.

VN Store

Back