Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how much better the SEC coaches are as a whole from only like 5 years ago.

I think Crean is a terrible hire. He was terrible at Indiana...a basketball school with tradition that makes it easier to recruit. How will he recruit to Georgia?

I think Crean is a terrible hire. He was terrible at Indiana...a basketball school with tradition that makes it easier to recruit. How will he recruit to Georgia?

Terrible at Indiana? He took over a complete wreck of a program and won 2 Big Ten titles

Reactions: 2 people

Pardon my ignorance...but didn't they just get rid of a good coach/terrible recruiter...for a...good coach/terrible recruiter?

With camp starting soon, you can add another to Tennessee's list of players expected to miss time this spring. Sources tell Volquest that linebacker Daniel Bituli will miss a portion — if not all of spring practice— as he rehabs both a knee and shoulder that required attention this off-season. That will give sophomore Will Ignont more featured time and could lead to a big spring for the talented Alabama native.

Elsewhere, offensive lineman Marcus Tatum has been able to keep on weight as he has finally reached the 300-pound plateau. He's one of the players that has been impressive during workouts with with strength coach Craig Fitzgerald. Quarterback Jarrett Guarantano tweeted out this week that he's put on nearly 20 pounds this winter. Weight gain has been a huge priority for the Vols under Pruitt.

Additionally, we are told then Tennessee staff has a better vibe about the receiver position after some early offseason work. Jaquez Jones, Josh Palmer and the often-talked about but yet to show anything on the field Latrell Williams have all impressed heading into spring practice. The question with Williams is can he stay healthy and have a chance to show himself on the field? Jones is a guy who the previous staff was high on and felt was very underrated and would have played last fall had it not been for the preseason knee injury.

Last week Pruitt told the media that certain players like Tyler Byrd, Carlin Fils-Amie (corner) and Jay Blakely (tight end) would start the first seven practices at new positions and then be re-evaluated. Don't be surprised if LaTrell Bumphus starts at tight end and then moves half way through spring to get a look along the defensive line. The West Tennessee native is up around 280 pounds and still shows athleticism, so it's something to watch.

-VQ

Reactions: 15 people
If Bumphus ends up on the DL, then TE looks pretty rough going into 2018. We have a good JUCO coming in, but very little size or blocking ability at TE. Hopefully Wolf and Pope can make similar strides to some other guys in the bulk department or Blakely turns out to be a revelation as a blocker.

Terrible at Indiana? He took over a complete wreck of a program and won 2 Big Ten titles

He took over a wreck??? The 2 prior seasons, Sampson went 21-11 and 25-8. He was at Indiana for 9 seasons, and only finished the year ranked in the top 25 3 of those years...ranked 4th, 14th, and 16th. And this is at a basketball school with loads of tradition. Yes, this is a terrible hire, which is just fine with me. They replaced the coach they fired with the same coach.

If Bumphus ends up on the DL, then TE looks pretty rough going into 2018. We have a good JUCO coming in, but very little size or blocking ability at TE. Hopefully Wolf and Pope can make similar strides to some other guys in the bulk department or Blakely turns out to be a revelation as a blocker.

280lb athletic TE. :)

He took over a wreck??? The 2 prior seasons, Sampson went 21-11 and 25-8. He was at Indiana for 9 seasons, and only finished the year ranked in the top 25 3 of those years...ranked 4th, 14th, and 16th. And this is at a basketball school with loads of tradition. Yes, this is a terrible hire, which is just fine with me. They replaced the coach they fired with the same coach.

Shush. GA may not know this....

I lived in IN during the Tom Crean era at IU. The Hoosiers I worked with didn't not like him. They felt he should have been able to do much more with their level of talent and tradition. I hope he similarly under achieves at UGA.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back