Sad reality

There is no point to think about a new coach now. Butch is here for another season. The new AD should hire the next coach. Otherwise it will be a mess.

Saban doesn't necessarily have to retire before Tennessee can beat Alabama. The coach of Tennessee football needs to out recruit him. I know it's a tall order.

Grit your teeth and endure another season with Butch. Who knows it may be a great season. If not, then that will give more urgency to get rid of Butch and more time to find the right hire.

If this were true, than it speaks volumes on what a poor leader Jones actually is.

Not only can't he change the attitudes of the players recruited under Dooley, he can't change the attitudes of players HE recruited that came into contact with players recruited by Dooley.

Dooley stank is really rank. It's silent, but deadly. You have to bathe in Fabreeze to reduce the reek.

Dooley stank is really rank. It's silent, but deadly. You have to bathe in Fabreeze to reduce the reek.

It must be some epic bad funk LOL

They probably should have coated the entire program in chlorine solution right up to 200 ppm after he left.

Debord should have been able to handle that with his experience the past couple of seasons. :)

The fans want championships. We are starved for it per Herbstreet.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
And here's more good news.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Someone convince me that I'm wrong.
No BIG TEN Herbstreit fan tbh. I don't how ESPN allows him to cover OSU every single game. Nice gig for him I guess.

It must be some epic bad funk LOL

They probably should have coated the entire program in chlorine solution right up to 200 ppm after he left.

Debord should have been able to handle that with his experience the past couple of seasons. :)

It's really ironic when you consider the shower discipline that Dooley stressed.

If he's here next year, and I assume he will be, I'll hope for the best but it will be hard to support the guy who stayed because he couldn't get the Purdue job, and that's how I see him now.

And it's the cold hard truth.

But the pumpers won't ever see it that way

I would LIKE to see us play in the SEC CG. The offseason is brutally long. That extra game would be a treat.

Better to play in it and lose or better to miss it and avoid the addional L?

Yes. Better to play in the SECCG 10 times and lose 9 than to never play it at all. Winning the east matters.

And it's the cold hard truth.

But the pumpers won't ever see it that way

Can we please stop with the .....nega.......pumper.....garbage. Unless you're 13 years old. then by all means keep calling the people you disagree with names.

And the cold hard truth is UT is not in a hurry to spend any money. They will be looking for any excuse they can to keep Butch in 18, 19, and beyond. If CBJ can win 8-9 games and beat either Ga or Fla he will be retained.

It is what it is

Reactions: 1 person
Can we please stop with the .....nega.......pumper.....garbage. Unless you're 13 years old. then by all means keep calling the people you disagree with names.

And the cold hard truth is UT is not in a hurry to spend any money. They will be looking for any excuse they can to keep Butch in 18, 19, and beyond. If CBJ can win 8-9 games and beat either Ga or Fla he will be retained.

It is what it is

Speaking of cold hard truth, der it is.

In order to compete with Alabama, kids want to play in the NFL, so you need a coach that knows how to get them to the league. Butch is not alone in that he cannot compete in this area, Saban has a track record second to none. Once you can recruit close to the elite teams you have to be able to prepare and game plan, plus be able to mange the game, once again Butch has proven not to be close in this part either. I believe you need someone who has been successful in the NFL, who players know can help them further their career.

This is exactly what's wrong with a lot of posters on here. They get into heated argument because they refuse to except that butch has reached his peak. 7-9 wins is all anyone is ever going to get from Butch. He doesent have the coaching mentality to get over the hump. For 2 years now he's had the east in his hands and gave it away twice. While he's done some nice things at Tennessee he's done some bad things as well. There was absolutely no reason to lose to SC and to make things worse he pushed it off on the players. Does it not register with him how bad it is to lose to an inferior team let alone coming off a bye and doing it?
Tennessee has given Butch plenty of time he doesent need two more years because the outcome will still be the same. Then what? Two more? 4 more? Tennessee needs to cut ties and move on it would litterally be better for both sides.

And then we will have another coach who does reasonably well but not quite what some fans expect and he will be gone in 3 or 4 years and around and around we go.

Reactions: 1 person
A top flight coach might. But look at UA's record with Saban. Puncher's chance at best.

Somebody will step up and knock the king off of the mountain. Might as well be us.

But, Butch has to clean up a bunch of $h!t before that can come close to happening.

Somebody will step up and knock the king off of the mountain. Might as well be us.

But, Butch has to clean up a bunch of $h!t before that can come close to happening.

Butch has the hard work ethic down. He's going to have to change some other things to make the step up to the next level. I hope he can even though I believe he won't. If he continues to win 8-9 games a year beating Ga or Fla along the way our university will not replace him regardless of what we all think.
Winning 8-9 games is enough to keep the stands full and making money and that's all the university cares about.

VN posters will be unhappy but the stands will be full

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDad View Post
A top flight coach might. But look at UA's record with Saban. Puncher's chance at best.

I was just wondering separately:

I'm actually thinking that JRM + Sutton's "unexpected" return to this season (along with all of the hype of Kam + Barnett + (Hurd) leaving early for the draft after this season) might have been an ultimate distraction for Team 120 from Day 1 / App St (i.e. the younger guys may have expected to ride to the final 4 on these players' coat-tails).

Maybe there are no "special" guys on Team 121 (strong/ dedicated guys like JKelly yes, but ones who aren't in the limelight) to cause these distractions -- the little brothers who saw their big brothers become champions of life off the field, but never achieving the expected champions on the field.

I'm thinking Team 121 just might be an improvement from 120.

Now if I can just convince Butch to ditch that ugly, metropolitan Mercedes coup and drive a pick-up truck, this team just might toughen up at get to ATL next year.

I'm thinking we get to ATL next year.

It is great you are a natural optimist. I hope your vision becomes reality.
OTOH, UF @ swamp, LSU, Bama, UGA (will still be more talented than us). All this before we factor in our inexplicable dropping one we have NO business losing.

Reactions: 2 people
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDad View Post

I was just wondering separately:

I'm actually thinking that JRM + Sutton's "unexpected" return to this season (along with all of the hype of Kam + Barnett + (Hurd) leaving early for the draft after this season) might have been an ultimate distraction for Team 120 from Day 1 / App St (i.e. the younger guys may have expected to ride to the final 4 on these players' coat-tails).

Maybe there are no "special" guys on Team 121 (strong/ dedicated guys like JKelly yes, but ones who aren't in the limelight) to cause these distractions -- the little brothers who saw their big brothers become champions of life off the field, but never achieving the expected champions on the field.

I'm thinking Team 121 just might be an improvement from 120.

Now if I can just convince Butch to ditch that ugly, metropolitan Mercedes coup and drive a pick-up truck, this team just might toughen up at get to ATL next year.

Butch haters are gonna "disagree " with this. I won't agree with their "delivery ", but I'll probably agree with the "point".

Butch should have controlled it, if it was an issue.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Summed it up very nicely. I will say this, Jimmy Hyams said on Sports Talk on Friday that Tennessee had positioned itself financially to take a step forward to get back to becoming a powerhouse athletically again in the coming years. Add that to the possibility of getting Blackburn in here I think whether Butch is the guy or not, we will be OK. If Butch fails, it may just take a little longer.

I would argue last three hires have been easy and cheap choice. That's what they do.

Reality is knowing your coach has been here for 4 years, so these are his recruits, and we finish 8-4. More telling is dropping two games to unranked opponents. To me, this is the ceiling with CBJ. We will never reach the top.

VN Store

Back