Sad reality

There will be no great seaon nxt year.
Green QBs don't do well in the SEC

Hurts is a rare exception
Will the coach even care? I mean the guy is bucking for another gig. If we had anyone with balls up there they'd send him packing, and name a interim til we found someone who actually wants to be here. I can't believe he's that thin skinned. Grow a set. This job comes with certain expectations and when they're not meet there will be scrutiny. Job is too big for him apparently..

Reactions: 1 person
I am disappointed with this season like most other VOL fans, but we need to look at reason. At the time he was hired, Butch Jones was probably the best option that was reasonably available. We would all like to have a Saban level coach, but there are probably only 3 or 4 at that level in all of college football, and there was no way we were getting them to come to Tennessee. I understand we originally offered the job to Charlie Strong, and he turned it down. Perhaps some of you would rather have had him, I hear he is available. The point is, unless you pay a huge sum to get a proven coach like Saban, it is basically a crap shoot with any other coach who may have had a good year or two, but no guarantees they will continue that way. Anyway, we simply cannot afford to keep changing coaches every 3 or 4 years, as we will pay a lot of money and probably never get anywhere. We are a lot better off than we were 4 years ago, and we need to give Jones another year or two to see if he can produce, and also so we don't have such a large payout if he doesn't. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, the injuries definitely had a part in this teams performance. Hopefully that will be considerably reduced next year. GBO.

This is exactly what's wrong with a lot of posters on here. They get into heated argument because they refuse to except that butch has reached his peak. 7-9 wins is all anyone is ever going to get from Butch. He doesent have the coaching mentality to get over the hump. For 2 years now he's had the east in his hands and gave it away twice. While he's done some nice things at Tennessee he's done some bad things as well. There was absolutely no reason to lose to SC and to make things worse he pushed it off on the players. Does it not register with him how bad it is to lose to an inferior team let alone coming off a bye and doing it?
Tennessee has given Butch plenty of time he doesent need two more years because the outcome will still be the same. Then what? Two more? 4 more? Tennessee needs to cut ties and move on it would litterally be better for both sides.

Reactions: 2 people
He certainly has lost any shred of respect i had for him. How can you support a guy who was/is actively shopping himself to other schools. That wouldn't take him by the way. Butch isn't even good enough for Purdue.

But this is his dream job.

Will the coach even care? I mean the guy is bucking for another gig. If we had anyone with balls up there they'd send him packing, and name a interim til we found someone who actually wants to be here. I can't believe he's that thin skinned. Grow a set. This job comes with certain expectations and when they're not meet there will be scrutiny. Job is too big for him apparently..

I don't think he's cared for weeks you can tell from the beginning of the season until now. It came to a head when he basically said F the fans. Whether it be the pressure to win or the stress it's obvious coaching at Tennessee isn't good for both parties but the school got handcuffed

I don't think Shoop has either for that matter. No matter your players you at least get better and Tennessee only seemed to get worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both want out and found a way to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't think he's cared for weeks you can tell from the beginning of the season until now. It came to a head when he basically said F the fans. Whether it be the pressure to win or the stress it's obvious coaching at Tennessee isn't good for both parties but the school got handcuffed
Again. An yeah he said it. I can lip read and half the country can too..

I hope like hell this new Chancellor cleans house like she wants to do and gets new blood in football. Blackburn is the guy and has been but will Tennessee make the right hire or go safe again.

I hope like hell this new Chancellor cleans house like she wants to do and gets new blood in football. Blackburn is the guy and has been but will Tennessee make the right hire or go safe again.
I just hope she hires then gets out of the way. Cheek meddled too much , we don't need a repeat of that.

I seldom agree with Finebaum but when someone brought that 6-7 years to build a program quote up to him one day, he called it utter nonsense and it was ridiculous for him to have said that.

It does take more like 6-7 years to purge most of the Dooley stank out of the system though. Maybe the Dooley signees are all gone after about 4 or 5 years, but it takes a few more years for the guys that shared the locker room with the Dooley recruits to be gone too.

If he's here next year, and I assume he will be, I'll hope for the best but it will be hard to support the guy who stayed because he couldn't get the Purdue job, and that's how I see him now.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh, I just don't understand why Hart had to finish the year. Get out of the way and let someone else take over.

If Hart stays until June 30, 2017 he gets almost $650k retirement payout, payable over 10 months. If Hart leaves voluntarily before that time, he gets nothing. Tennessee can hire a new AD any time they want and place Hart on Administrative leave with 15 days notice but he still gets paid. They could certainly hire Hart's replacement before the end off the year, but they'd be paying two ADs for 6 months and that might be politically unpalatable.

If he's here next year, and I assume he will be, I'll hope for the best but it will be hard to support the guy who stayed because he couldn't get the Purdue job, and that's how I see him now.

He will be here next year and likely the year after that. The standard for wins just isn't that high......from the people who hire and fire.

No doubt..Knowing now that he did that and how silent he's been makes me think he's still looking for a way out. It's hard to support someone who's heart clearly isn't in it. He's just staying to get paid at this point, that never ends well..

No doubt..Knowing now that he did that and how silent he's been makes me think he's still looking for a way out. It's hard to support someone who's heart clearly isn't in it. He's just staying to get paid at this point, that never ends well..

I still think he's doing his best. I also think he hired a pr person who told his to stfu.

Problem is so far his best hasn't been great. Better than the last guy but not great

The fans want championships. We are starved for it per Herbstreet.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
And here's more good news.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Someone convince me that I'm wrong.

“Kids judge you by your car,” Jones told the Knoxville newspaper. “It’s crazy.”

Butch Jones has convinced me with this simple statement, where his priority is.

I'm also convince one in Leadership does not mold champions of life by enticing them with flashy vehicles.

I'm convinced I want to see Butch Jones win on the field.

Ditch the Mercedes, Butch.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/report-tennessees-butch-jones-drives-220000-foreign-car-to-impress-recruits

Hopefully, the next AD cancels the further downsizing of Neyland and the efforts of turning it into a stinking NFL stadium.

It does take more like 6-7 years to purge most of the Dooley stank out of the system though. Maybe the Dooley signees are all gone after about 4 or 5 years, but it takes a few more years for the guys that shared the locker room with the Dooley recruits to be gone too.

If this were true, than it speaks volumes on what a poor leader Jones actually is.

Not only can't he change the attitudes of the players recruited under Dooley, he can't change the attitudes of players HE recruited that came into contact with players recruited by Dooley.

I don't think Butch is a great coach. He's mediocre as far as SEC coaches. We paid a middling salary and got what we paid for. There are coaches here in the SEC that got paid more and did less this year. There were also coaches that did better.

I guess I disagree with the arguments concerning Butch's salary. We got what we paid for, more or less. If we want a better coach, we'll have to pay for a better coach.

And I guess that is my point to everyone who thinks Jones is indispensable. It's not going to cost that much more salary-wise to get what I would see as an upgrade as a coach.

The buyout gets doled out in payments so the school isn't cutting a 10 million dollar check right off the bat.

Look at the salaries of some of the coaches playing yesterday:

Franklin 4.5 mil- Christ 2.7 mil

Sweeney 4.4 mil- Fuente 3.2 mil

Stoops 5.5 mil- Gundy 3.8 mil

All 6 of those coaches had their teams playing for more than Jones seems capable of achieving at UT last night.

And I am not begrudging Jones his money, he and Armstrong did a great job of selling themselves and conning Dave Hart into some ridiculous contract extensions in a short amount of time.

The problem is, and has been dating back to Hamilton, having a leader who can actually sell the program to these coaching candidates.

All this being said, I am still of the opinion that Jones goes nowhere in 2017 due to the leadership void unless he makes the move and probably not 2018 unless 2017 is an absolute disaster.

I still think he's doing his best. I also think he hired a pr person who told his to stfu.

Problem is so far his best hasn't been great. Better than the last guy but not great
A lot of us kind of saw that when he was hired. He had everyone's full support. I'm not all that pissed that he didn't live up to expectations, thought it might go this way. I'm just disappointed in how poorly coached this team was, then his attitude that we should all appreciate the fact he took this job. Now that he's been shopping himself around it's really hard to support anymore.

VN Store

Back