Saturday practice updates 4/18

Butch Jones has created a player driven team with very good talent. Given a little luck, team #119 may indeed surprise the SEC east and west.
Ladies and gentlemen, it's time!
almost.......2 1/2 mos
Go Vol's

What happens in July?

Reactions: 1 person
Barnett and Phillips working at LB: One interesting thing of note was that Kyle Phillips and Derek Barnett, both working out in just helmets and workout gear as they rehab, were getting reps in individual drills with the linebackers. That obviously doesn’t necessarily mean a permanent position change or anything like that, but interesting that, at least right now, they are being used in that capacity.

Defensive Practice Notes: 4/18 | Rocky Top Insider

That right there really got me thinking.

We all know that when Summer and the new recruits get here that we're going to have a BEAST rotation at DT.

I think we just might put 4 DT's on the line and 2 great pass rushers at OLB for a monster pass rush that could be impossible to stop.

After we do that a few times and slobberknock their QB a few times just putting that package into the lineup could scare the QB to death.

If the OLB's can actually cover fairly well then we can run different blitz packages to really keep then confused a lot of the time.

Tuttle, KMac and our other 2 best DT's all along the line with our other 2 best pass rushers at OLB could really wreak havoc on the other teams QB.

Doing something like this is the only reason I can see some of our best DE's getting snaps at the OLB spots.

If this is the plan then I can't wait to see this in real game action!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

That right there really got me thinking.

We all know that when Summer and the new recruits get here that we're going to have a BEAST rotation at DT.

I think we just might put 4 DT's on the line and 2 great pass rushers at OLB for a monster pass rush that could be impossible to stop.

After we do that a few times and slobberknock their QB a few times just putting that package into the lineup could scare the QB to death.

If the OLB's can actually cover fairly well then we can run different blitz packages to really keep then confused a lot of the time.

Tuttle, KMac and our other 2 best DT's all along the line with our other 2 best pass rushers at OLB could really wreak havoc on the other teams QB.

Doing something like this is the only reason I can see some of our best DE's getting snaps at the OLB spots.

If this is the plan then I can't wait to see this in real game action!

Here's a thought. Why not have our two best DT's, and our two best DE's and our two best OLB's just play their position? It sounds crazy, but it could work....:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
Here's a thought. Why not have our two best DT's, and our two best DE's and our two best OLB's just play their position? It sounds crazy, but it could work....:crazy:

Yes, that obviously could work.

What I mentioned above could also work even better in certain situations.

If our coaches aren't thinking the same way I am then WHY would our 2 best rushing DE's be wasting snaps and reps at the OLB positions?

Hmmmmm.......

Yes, that obviously could work.

What I mentioned above could also work even better in certain situations.

If our coaches aren't thinking the same way I am then WHY would our 2 best rushing DE's be wasting snaps and reps at the OLB positions?

Hmmmmm.......

Titan, I'm not sure those were actually "snaps." Certainly not of the 11-on-11 variety.

Reading it carefully, seems they actually just joined the LBs for some non-contact drills. Maybe the DLine were doing contact work, but the LBs were doing some non-contact stuff. Since Barnett and Phillips are no-contact for rehab, maybe they just got shifted over for that period.

I wouldn't read anything more into than that, I don't think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Titan, I'm not sure those were actually "snaps." Certainly not of the 11-on-11 variety.

Reading it carefully, seems they actually just joined the LBs for some non-contact drills. Maybe the DLine were doing contact work, but the LBs were doing some non-contact stuff. Since Barnett and Phillips are no-contact for rehab, maybe they just got shifted over for that period.

I wouldn't read anything more into than that, I don't think.

You could be right my friend but so could I since we're only speculating here.

Why would our coaches be wasting time and snaps with our best rushing DE's at the OLB spots to learn those positions if they aren't planning a special unit?

It would be a total waste of time, snaps and walk through learning process when our other OLB's could be getting those walk through reps and learning more.

It just doesn't seem logical if they don't have some things up their sleeves.

You could be right my friend but so could I since we're only speculating here.

Why would our coaches be wasting time and snaps with our best rushing DE's at the OLB spots to learn those positions if they aren't planning a special unit?

It would be a total waste of time, snaps and walk through learning process when our other OLB's could be getting those walk through reps and learning more.

It just doesn't seem logical if they don't have some things up their sleeves.

Our coaches having something up their sleeves is always nice. :)

VN Store

Back