SEC Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols Vs. (11) Ole Miss

it would not surprise me if ALA beats SC Friday

They played well today. Really need that kind of balance if they plan on beating SC. Means Copeland is going to have to stay out of foul trouble and on the floor. She’s got to have another double double for them to win. They have talented, veteran players so I’m not counting them out for sure!

Excited for this matchup with Ole Miss. Hopefully we are better prepared for their pressure defense this time. They surprised a lot of teams this year with their marked improvement in defensive intensity.

They did a great job of moving Austin around in the mid-range against us last time. Someone is going to have to step up and play great D on her. If we hold her in check we hold them in check. She’s a challenge for us to guard because she can face up and go by or hit the mid-range J. Not something either of our bigs are great at handling but she’s got the size to post up our small forwards. Have to get out to shooters. Collins has gone somewhat cold as of late but can still stroke it.

Limiting live ball turnovers is likely the difference in the game tomorrow. We should crush them on the glass and we need our big girls to play big. They do cannot guard both Kasi and Tamari. If they are aggressive we could get Austin in a bit of foul trouble in the first half. Their offense really stalls when she’s out of the game.

A lot of their losses this season came on the heels of poor conditioning. Losing games down the stretch, not enough gas in the tank for 4 quarters. Arkansas gave them a tough, physical game today so hopefully we will have a bit of a legs advantage on the glass and in transition. They have come on in the last few games and finished so we’re going to have a to play our game tip to finish if we hope to win.

Worth noting that the Ole Miss game was the game Marta went out initially. She played just 1 minute before limping off the floor and it did seem to rattle the team. They had obviously prepared for her to play that day and it messed things up defensively. Had she been able to go I think she would have ended up guarding Austin a fair bit as she is better able to match her face-up game and physicality when she’s 100%.

Last edited:
I picked Ole Miss as I have seen how the players are committed to their coach. Remember the LV beat them by 50 on the road last year and won by one this year. After this years game with the LVs she said I'm sounding like a broken record but we are so close. two five star players.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The LadyVols will beat Ole Miss 70-60.

Didn't we barely beat them by one point (?) just a couple of weeks ago. After the way they played last night
I wouldn't won't to make any kind of prediction .... especially at times when we've come out cold.
I think either way it'll be a nail-biter for us watching .... ;) and cussing all night long.

Haven't lost a game to an unranked team all season. We don't want that to happen tonight.

Yup. Our worst loss in the NET ratings is #23 West Virginia and Ole Miss moved up to #43 after yesterday's win over Arkansas. The same goes for Massey Ratings -- our worst loss is #21 West Virginia and Ole Miss is #53.

Massey has us the 71-63 favorite.

Ole Miss is a scary team they have a lot of talent that is coming together late in the season. They have won some big games over Kentucky twice and now Arkansas. Looks like they will get to the NCAA Tourney we need to win tonight.

Different style of play but reminds me a lot of Arkansas a couple years ago. They had lots of pieces but they didn’t start clicking until the last couple games of the season and the SEC tourney. Safe to say they will be working their way toward the top of the SEC next season.

Last edited:
Different style of play but reminds me a lot of Arkansas a couple years ago. They had lots of pieces but they didn’t start clicking until the last couple games of the season and the SEC tourney. Safe to say they will be working their way toward the top of the SEC next seaso.

Agreed. They have a chance of being the Cinderella team in this year’s SEC tourney, IMO. They have tons of momentum right now. Hoping we put an abrupt end to their run tonight.

Didn't we barely beat them by one point (?) just a couple of weeks ago. After the way they played last night
I wouldn't won't to make any kind of prediction .... especially at times when we've come out cold.
I think either way it'll be a nail-biter for us watching .... ;) and cussing all night long.

Ole Miss shows how much the landscape of WCBB can change, Last season they were barely a D1 team and now they are a formidable opponent with a big time transfer from Maryland and a strong freshman class.

VN Store

Back