Serrano returning for sixth year

Is the baseball program a moneymaker for UT like the football and basketball programs?

Thanks for any information and CDS will need to make it to Omaha and win a few games there to get another 4 or 5 year contract.

Random thoughts:
1. A one-year extension is basically a non-decision. But it's a non-decision that will have consequences on underclass recruiting.

2. Although Serrano may not have "deserved" more time, firing only makes sense if we think we can land someone who will be more effective here.

3. Pitching should be better. Our young rotation should all return. Neely has a lot of promise. May give flexibility to find optimal role for Kyle Serrano (my recollection is that his problems were seldom right out of the gate: the walks and homers usually came after at least one effective inning). Even if Linginfelter goes pro, we may see some solid freshman contributions from Stallings and others.

4. Offense has to replace an awful lot of production. I hope Rodgers gets a good pro opportunity this year, but by going from mid-April to mid-May without any RBI's, he might have bought a senior year on campus.

5. A one-year extension may also affect Serrano's plans. He could have options if he decides he doesn't want to be a lame duck. Extending him isn't optimal but it's not a disaster. Him walking away from an extension would be a disaster.

I'm happy CDS will get another year but something smells to high heaven on this deal...it's been handled about as poorly as possible.

Diamond Dave couldn't pull the trigger...Coach Serrano was his hire and...cause...he gone be gone too...leave for the next AD to deal with...:whistling:
PS. I like Coach Serrano and hope he does well. He's coming back so I won't tell you what I would do...:p

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just shows you where baseball ranks in the pecking order. 130-138 record is okay for Dave Hart to give him another year.

I'm not okay with mediocrity, or as this program has been, bottom tier.

Just shows you where baseball ranks in the pecking order. 130-138 record is okay for Dave Hart to give him another year.

I'm not okay with mediocrity, or as this program has been, bottom tier.

I'm ok with Hart saying the coach is not the problem. I'm not ok with him not saying what is the problem and how he's going to correct it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If anyone knows anything about contracts for coaches they know that a 1 year extension means you've got a coach that's a dead man walking and it means you really don't trust the guy to turn things around but there is a small bit of hope that they will because they are usually a well liked guy, which by all accounts Serrano seems to be a very well liked coach by the administration. You see it all the time in professional sports and more times than not the coach ends up losing the team halfway through the season because the players know that the coach will not be back. Hart is just trying to give him one last chance and I don't have anything wrong with it but if it were me personally I would have fired him based on the fact that we have not improved in the win column on a yearly basis and have consistently been fighting for the 12 seed every season instead of playing for a 1st round bye like we should have been by now.

The reason behind this thread is a good place to start when looking for Harts fu#k ups.

You don't sign a guy to a one year extension, if you have faith in CDS then you give him at least 3 more years and stand behind it. Not a one year extension because you don't know jack sh!t and don't want to look bad by bringing in a bad hire.

I wouldn't have gave a one year extension either, but the academic performance is up. He hired CBJ & CRB both of which I think are good hires. And the athletic reserves are increasing. So what's your grounds for termination again?

I'm ok with Hart saying the coach is not the problem. I'm not ok with him not saying what is the problem and how he's going to correct it.

I haven't had the chance to watch this yet, but it sounds like I will need to have a cocktail or two before I do.

I haven't had the chance to watch this yet, but it sounds like I will need to have a cocktail or two before I do.

I would highly recommend the cocktail, I'll be interested in your take...I've watched it twice now and I find both Hart's and CDS' comments regarding recruiting under the one year contract...perplexing. Not too mention Hart saying he still believes in Serrano but only giving him one year seems contradictory putting it politely.

I wonder if CDS having son Kyle in the program factored in Hart's decision. I highly doubt Kyle will sign. I heard an interview with CDS right after the injury when he mentioned Kyle would still have leverage if he came back because he would be a young in age fourth year player.

I may be crazy but I think next year will be a good year. We have some decent arms returning and I feel really good about the pitchers that are coming in this fall. As I mentioned in another post, I have had scouts tell me that they think only Warren (before Neely became a factor) will be a weekend starter once these kids get on campus. I know they are only freshmen but elite SEC teams have been winning a lot of games with first year pitchers recently. We built some depth this season by having to use so many freshmen and sophomores on the the mound in weekend series and they, along with the new guys, will be much improved. Hope that Simcox and Thomas can work some magic on all of the new hitters that will have to emerge.

I would highly recommend the cocktail, I'll be interested in your take...I've watched it twice now and I find both Hart's and CDS' comments regarding recruiting under the one year contract...perplexing. Not too mention Hart saying he still believes in Serrano but only giving him one year seems contradictory putting it politely.

Without having watched it, I don't know what else Serrano would say about recruiting. I am sure he would like to say how he really feels, but he has to toe the company line and he isn't the kind of guy that would come across with angry takes. Plus he needs to sell it to recruits - don't know how he does that though. Sounds like Hart is full of it when he says he believes in him.

Florida will not be as good but still top 10 in the country. Vanderbilt will be better. South Carolina will be similar. Missouri returns Houck for Friday nights. Kentucky has some good young talent. Georgia seems stuck like we are.

It will be tough to climb higher than 5th in the division. The schedule next season will be huge to see who we match up with in the West. We avoided Miss St and Texas A&M or this year could have been much worse.

Florida will be loaded. Absolutely, loaded.

I wouldn't have gave a one year extension either, but the academic performance is up. He hired CBJ & CRB both of which I think are good hires. And the athletic reserves are increasing. So what's your grounds for termination again?

A. I never said I wanted Hart to get fired, just repeating what is being discussed in radio land.

B. Academic performance is up but thats not what pays the bills.

C. Barnes was a name hire but IMO he took advantage of how easy it is to recruit at Texas. Which so far hes proving that to be true.

D. Hart did hire Butch but do you think CBJ likes how Hart and company are handling this law suit?

E. While there is a little money in savings now at what price? Axing the lady vols? Thats worked out well, see the title 9 lawsuit and if you don't think the "lady vol mafia" is the driving force behind that your naive.

The thing is Hart had a chance to make this all go away before it came to light but the guy likes to pick fights.

I just hope in 10 years down the road we can all look back and laugh how we all thought CDS was going to be let go and what a mistake it would have been....

Sincerely,

Mr. Optimistic

Reactions: 4 people
Seems like I've seen this movie before.
Wasn't Raleigh originally signed to a 3-year deal and then given only a one year extension for the 2011 season? And that led to the roster Serrano inherited for the 2012 season.

Needs to play a very easy schedule, rack up a hell of a lot of easy wins, win 12-14 sec games and be on the bubble next year is the best path for an extension IMO

We played a terribly easy OOC schedule this year. I think that's part of our problem. We need to play some tougher mid-week/pre-conference games to gauge where we're at and get used to playing pressure packed games. There's enough ACC schools around to play some 2-3 decent mid-week games. In the early weekend series I'd like to see us schedule some of the better Sun-Belt or C-USA teams, even if it means going to them; gotta get games in. Try to play a ULL, Southern Miss, Coastal Carolina etc. Playing Memphis and Cincy does us no good. We had the 3rd worst OOC SOS in the SEC only ahead of Mizzou and Arkansas; and we were like 40 places worse than the 4th worst.

Last edited:
Seems like I've seen this movie before.
Wasn't Raleigh originally signed to a 3-year deal and then given only a one year extension for the 2011 season? And that led to the roster Serrano inherited for the 2012 season.

He signed a 5 year... deal...http://media.al.com/bn/other/Raleigh.pdf

We had to buy him out...

UT, which fired basketball coach Bruce Pearl in March, will pay Raleigh $331,657.33, divided into equal installments over the next 12 months. The buyout includes the base salary from the final year of his contract plus money from broadcast pay and a shoe apparel deal.

Todd Raleigh fired as UT baseball coach | Times Free Press

VN Store

Back