Serrano returning for sixth year

Diamond Dave couldn't pull the trigger...Coach Serrano was his hire and...cause...he gone be gone too...leave for the next AD to deal with...:whistling:
PS. I like Coach Serrano and hope he does well. He's coming back so I won't tell you what I would do...:p

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serrano was hired 5 months before Hart.

Reactions: 1 person
We played a terribly easy OOC schedule this year. I think that's part of our problem. We need to play some tougher mid-week/pre-conference games to gauge where we're at and get used to playing pressure packed games. There's enough ACC schools around to play some 2-3 decent mid-week games. In the early weekend series I'd like to see us schedule some of the better Sun-Belt or C-USA teams, even if it means going to them; gotta get games in. Try to play a ULL, Southern Miss, Coastal Carolina etc. Playing Memphis and Cincy does us no good. We had the 3rd worst OOC SOS in the SEC only ahead of Mizzou and Arkansas; and we were like 40 places worse than the 4th worst.

Stunningly obtuse.

We played Grand Canyon who was picked to be at the top of the league, but didn't have a good season. We played St. Marys which finished with a 67 RPI and a share of the regular season title. We played Maryland who finished with an RPI of 55, East Carolina who finished with an RPI of 36 and Southeastern Louisiana who finished with an RPI of 39 and a 38-18 record and we played UCI which had a tough season but you couldn't have known that 2,3 years out...that was mostly on the road except for UCI who we had a home/home with...now compare that to the Florida schools or the Carolina schools, they don't even leave the state most of the time in the run up to the season.

Stunningly obtuse.

We played Grand Canyon who was picked to be at the top of the league, but didn't have a good season. We played St. Marys which finished with a 67 RPI and a share of the regular season title. We played Maryland who finished with an RPI of 55, East Carolina who finished with an RPI of 36 and Southeastern Louisiana who finished with an RPI of 39 and a 38-18 record and we played UCI which had a tough season but you couldn't have known that 2,3 years out...that was mostly on the road except for UCI who we had a home/home with...now compare that to the Florida schools or the Carolina schools, they don't even leave the state most of the time in the run up to the season.

Obtuse? Now we're name calling?

Our OOC SOS was 209th in the nation; that's firmly in the bottom 3rd in the NCAA. It doesn't matter where teams were picked, they didn't pan out. I doubt much of a baseball schedule is planned 3 years in advance.

UF never leaves the state yet plays a top 20 OOC SOS. Why leave when you can play FSU, Miami and FAU who are all top 20 teams?

Last edited:
Obtuse? Now we're name calling?

Our OOC SOS was 204th in the nation; that's firmly in the bottom 3rd in the NCAA. It doesn't matter where teams were picked, they didn't pan out. I doubt much of a baseball schedule is planned 3 years in advance.

UF never leaves the state yet plays a top 20 OOC SOS. Why leave when you can play FSU, Miami and FAU who are all top 20 teams?

Name calling...this is what we're calling it?

Our OOC RPI is because of the games we played this year versus the MTSU's of the state, not due to the run up to the season.

Yeah, "I'd love to see what this team could have done versus a tougher midweek slate" said by no one.

How does this coaches need multi-year contracts in order to convince recruits to sign fraud live on? Coaches are fired all of the time with years left on their contracts. Coaches leave for other jobs all of the time with years left on their contracts. Seems like coaches and their agents have done a fantastic job with this narrative using players as pawns to financially rape colleges and universities.

How does this coaches need multi-year contracts in order to convince recruits to sign fraud live on? Coaches are fired all of the time with years left on their contracts. Coaches leave for other jobs all of the time with years left on their contracts. Seems like coaches and their agents have done a fantastic job with this narrative using players as pawns to financially rape colleges and universities.

What?

Reactions: 2 people

Coaches and their agents have used the argument that they need long term contracts to show the recruits that they'll be their coach over their entire career. That narrative is fiction. It doesn't prevent coaches from leaving. If they win a lot they look for a better opportunity. If they don't win they get fired. What's in their contracts is no guarantee that a coach stays for a player's entire career... but it's promoted as if it does,

Ughh, great...not! Seriously, wtf is Dave Hart thinking? Why delay the inevitable future for another year? Now all we have in Serrano is a lame duck coach. If he doesn't know that, and if he isn't completely aware of that 100% being the case, then he's a WAY BIGGER FOOL than I first thought!

We have some good, young talent returning for next season. The absolute worst thing that could happen is for it to all fall in place and come together. By that I mean that we have a good year that results in us receiving a high seed in the SECT. We compete extremely well there, and either make it to Omaha, or atleast have a legit shot, but maybe fall just short.

In either scenario I could see DH awarding DS with a 3-5 year contract extension. Then history just repeats itself by us likely getting the exact same results as we have over the last five years. All of that is the worst imaginable thing I could think of, and I could easily see happening too.

Last edited:
Coaches and their agents have used the argument that they need long term contracts to show the recruits that they'll be their coach over their entire career. That narrative is fiction. It doesn't prevent coaches from leaving. If they win a lot they look for a better opportunity. If they don't win they get fired. What's in their contracts is no guarantee that a coach stays for a player's entire career... but it's promoted as if it does,

That existed at one time, even at UT...With Serrano you are talking about a guy who lived with an expiring contract this past year and for the next...Dave Serrano is not represented by Jimmy Sexton, that's for sure.

I'm not a fan of what happened today, but that's on Hart, the Administration and the Boosters...not on Serrano.

Ughh, great...not! Seriously, wtf is Dave Hart thinking? Why delay the inevitable future for another year? Now all we have in Serrano is a lame duck coach. If he doesn't know that, and if he isn't completely aware of that 100% being the case, then he's a WAY BIGGER FOOL than I first thought!

We have some good, young talent returning for next season. The absolute worst thing that could happen is for it to all fall in place and come together. By that I mean that we have a good year that results in us receiving a high seed in the SECT. We compete extremely well there, and either make it to Omaha, or atleast have a legit shot, but maybe fall just short.

In either scenario I could see DH awarding DS with a 3-5 year contract extension. Then history just repeats itself by us likely getting the exact same results as we have over the last five years. All of that is the worst imaginable thing I could think of, and I could easily see happening too.

You are going on the assumption that DH is still here.

Investing in the program is more critical than changing the coach. If Serrano was replaced the W-L results weren't going to improve if everything else stayed the same. Investing more in the program is how to upgrade the roster. Other SEC programs have more tradition, money, or both. Since TN lacks tradition they need a significant bump to the program's budget to even the SEC playing field.

I would highly recommend the cocktail, I'll be interested in your take...I've watched it twice now and I find both Hart's and CDS' comments regarding recruiting under the one year contract...perplexing. Not too mention Hart saying he still believes in Serrano but only giving him one year seems contradictory putting it politely.

Well it is late and the discussion has died down, but I just watched the press conference. I do not know how you can say you believe in a coach and have full confidence but only extend the contract by one year. I donÂ’t care if in the past all coaches other than football and basketball had one year contracts, that doesnÂ’t work.

He said things I agree with – APR, the team never giving up and not quitting on the coach, not being satisfied with just reaching the SEC tournament, etc. – but I cannot get past a vote of confidence resulting in a one year contract. You give 39 year old players one year contracts, not coaches who have to sell the program to recruits. I cannot figure Hart out on this one; lame duck, doesn’t care about baseball, doesn’t feel like a coaching search, Serrano being a class guy during a tough PR period, I just have no idea.

Txbo nailed it earlier, how do you say coaching is not the problem but do not identify the problem. He put a big emphasis on recruiting but seems content with the facilities and thinks a one year contract is not a hindrance to recruiting.

As far as Coach Serrano, not surprisingly he handled it very well. I donÂ’t know what else he could have said. He could not say a one year contract would hurt recruiting. I really want him to succeed, more due to what kind of man he is than the fact he coaches at UT. His press conference reaffirms my belief he is a great leader and coach, and that if he cannot succeed here who can.

Well it is late and the discussion has died down, but I just watched the press conference. I do not know how you can say you believe in a coach and have full confidence but only extend the contract by one year. I donÂ’t care if in the past all coaches other than football and basketball had one year contracts, that doesnÂ’t work.

He said things I agree with – APR, the team never giving up and not quitting on the coach, not being satisfied with just reaching the SEC tournament, etc. – but I cannot get past a vote of confidence resulting in a one year contract. You give 39 year old players one year contracts, not coaches who have to sell the program to recruits. I cannot figure Hart out on this one; lame duck, doesn’t care about baseball, doesn’t feel like a coaching search, Serrano being a class guy during a tough PR period, I just have no idea.

Txbo nailed it earlier, how do you say coaching is not the problem but do not identify the problem. He put a big emphasis on recruiting but seems content with the facilities and thinks a one year contract is not a hindrance to recruiting.

As far as Coach Serrano, not surprisingly he handled it very well. I donÂ’t know what else he could have said. He could not say a one year contract would hurt recruiting. I really want him to succeed, more due to what kind of man he is than the fact he coaches at UT. His press conference reaffirms my belief he is a great leader and coach, and that if he cannot succeed here who can.

It is late and we're all tired...not about the winning or losing...just tired...

The thing I learned from Hoover this year was simple.

I asked my son what he thought of the LSU fans and he said and I quote..."They are crazy, they have lot's of chant's, we only have one, it isn't fair."

We can all do better.

We have too.

Reactions: 2 people
Name calling...this is what we're calling it?

Our OOC RPI is because of the games we played this year versus the MTSU's of the state, not due to the run up to the season.

Yeah, "I'd love to see what this team could have done versus a tougher midweek slate" said by no one.

How does playing crap teams get you better? Instead we get the false sense we're actually decent. Two mid-week games a year vs a GT or UofL won't kill a season. Don't twist it into every mid-week game should be vs the ACC. You're very good at exaggerating things.

AU played GT 2x
UF played FSU 3x
UK played UofL 2x
Vandy played UofL
Arkansas played Okie State

We played 21 games vs the top 50 RPI; 2 of those were OOC.

How does playing crap teams get you better? Instead we get the false sense we're actually decent. Two mid-week games a year vs a GT or UofL won't kill a season. Don't twist it into every mid-week game should be vs the ACC. You're very good at exaggerating things.

AU played GT 2x
UF played FSU 3x
UK played UofL 2x
Vandy played UofL
Arkansas played Okie State

We played 21 games vs the top 50 RPI; 2 of those were OOC.

Getting better while racking up losses won't keep CDS job next year only wins will and wins=confidence which equals more wins.

Play the worst/easiest schedule ever preconference and rack up enough wins to get to the bubble talk. Pray those wins lead to a confident team that can win 12-14 conference games and that will show improvement

If this team plays a hard preseason schedule this thing will be over before it ever starts. Nearly an entire new offense needs to gain confidence and ease into things

Serrano was hired 5 months before Hart.

DING, DING, DING...WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER...:rock:WAY TO GO DUDE...GOTTA CHECK TO SEE IF ANYBODY ELSE CAUGHT IT...:clapping::clapping:
YOU WIN A BIG OLE...

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pepper::pepper:

EDIT: Nope, guess you were the only one, unless people were being nice, or didn't want to be bothered...:)

PS. Now, just waiting on a Chris Burke sighting on campus......:)...:salute:...

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Getting better while racking up losses won't keep CDS job next year only wins will and wins=confidence which equals more wins.

Play the worst/easiest schedule ever preconference and rack up enough wins to get to the bubble talk. Pray those wins lead to a confident team that can win 12-14 conference games and that will show improvement

If this team plays a hard preseason schedule this thing will be over before it ever starts. Nearly an entire new offense needs to gain confidence and ease into things

Weren't we like 10-1 pre-SEC in 2015? Did us no good.

At this point I'm by worried about what Serrano needs to do to keep his job cause I don't care. I'd like to see the program learn what it takes, to win vs elite teams. Bama played an OOC schedule similar in stature to ours this year, they're 15-15 in the SEC and they're on the bubble (leaning towards the outside). That kind of schedule kills the RPI.

Weren't we like 10-1 pre-SEC in 2015? Did us no good.

At this point I'm by worried about what Serrano needs to do to keep his job cause I don't care. I'd like to see the program learn what it takes, to win vs elite teams. Bama played an OOC schedule similar in stature to ours this year, they're 15-15 in the SEC and they're on the bubble (leaning towards the outside). That kind of schedule kills the RPI.

If next year for us is like Bama's year this year it will be a success. In fact I think that is the ceiling for what we have returning

And in 2015 we were on the bubble for sure. With 1-2 wins in Hoover we make a regional

Last edited:
I don't think most really good, recruits with professional aspirations really care about a long term commitment..........Most just want to improve and get paid, they are not planning on staying 4 years

If next year for us is like Bama's year this year it will be a success. In fact I think that is the ceiling for what we have returning

And in 2015 we were on the bubble for sure. With 1-2 wins in Hoover we make a regional

Oh I agree it'll be a success just saying maybe not enough to get us in a regional. If Bama is .500 in SEC play and not firmly in, then 12 SEC wins and a weak SOS likely won't get it done.

Jimmy Hyams
@JimmyHyams: UT baseball struggles: 3 NCAA tourneys in past 19 yrs, 0 in last 11 yrs. UT has had 2 winning SEC records in 19 yrs, one in the last 15 yrs

Baseball is obviously not important to UT. The powers that be like Serrano. He keeps his players walking a pretty straight path. That's all they want. They would like to win, but are not really concerned about it. Football is king, because that's where the money is. It is what it is. I like CDS as a coach and person. I don't know who would come here that's any better.

VN Store

Back