Something You Should Know About James Franklin

True story: Between his first and second season around May or June, I had to take my wife down to the allergy doctor at Vandy and their offices are right near Vandy Stadium. I had a long wait and it wasn't boiling hot outside so I decided to go walk over to where the Barnes and Noble is and around. I then starting walking up towards Vanderbilt Stadium a ways then decided it was time to head back. I was looking at my phone, probably looking on here and I passed a guy who was headed towards the stadium. I wasn't paying that much attention but noticed he was bald and had glasses and was carrying what I assume was his lunch. About 10 steps later I realized it was James Franklin. I turned around and yeah it was him and he had turned around to look at me and he did a smile and wave.

I am convinced he turned around to look to see if I recognized him and did a double take (which to be fair I did). Unless for some reason he thought he knew me but the way he looked it was like he wanted to make sure he knew that I knew he was James Franklin. Part of me wonders if I hadn't turned around if he would have ran back towards me and thought up some excuse to pass me again.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
How many years did Vandy beat us when Franklin was there? I never thought about Franklin before but he is one with SEC experience under his belt. That's a positive, plus he has to deal with Penn State with its problems too. Someone who could be a coach here.

I'm not saying I'm sold on him, but you would have to think he could recruit well in Middle and West Tennessee.

I would let Steele be interim for this year. The uncertainty of the NCAA penalties is a real thing. Gives you a year to see what’s what and then go get someone big that UT fans could be proud of.
You aint gonna get any bigger than Franklin.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
I would let Steele be interim for this year. The uncertainty of the NCAA penalties is a real thing. Gives you a year to see what’s what and then go get someone big that UT fans could be proud of.
Why wait a year? Go after Freeze or Kiffin and see if you can get either one even if it cost $6-$7mill a year fir next 5-7 years.

Franklin also had to overcome sanctions at Penn State. He would be a great hire in my opinion. Always thought he was a quality person and good coach. If you guys gave him 4-5 years, I think you would be a top 10 team every year. I hope it works out.

I've never liked him. Blame Vandy, because I like them even less. So I kinda cringe at the idea of bringing him in on that alone. Beyond that, he has built Penn State into reasonable relevance after what very well looked like a death penalty, building on what Bill O'Brien shouldered at first. I don't know if he would entertain a Tennessee offer. I have serious doubts about that. But if White convinces him? If he could make strides at Candy? And State Penn? He could be the right guy. He might be the perfect choice. And in a few years? I might start to like him. One of these years.

Forget the 22 class. Doesn’t matter right now with the cloud hanging over UT. Get that settled and then throw the bank at someone. Even if you throw 8-9 mil at someone it is a gamble for them not knowing what’s coming.

If they bring in the right guy? It will be tough getting the 22 class where you want it to be. But not impossible.

The Vanderbilt people got so tired of his "mouth" that they were glad he left. He did a horrible job at Penn State and will be fired if he has another year like 2020.
Horrible job at Penn State? They are the only other team to win the conference besides Ohio State the past 8 years!

He's won 11 games 3 times in the past 5 years. 2020 was his only losing season in 7 years and he ended that on a 4 game win-streak.

What are you talking about he did a horrible job???

As of 8:08 AM, his wikipedia page says this:

James Geoffrey Franklin (born February 2, 1972) is an American football coach and former player. He is the head football coach at the University of Tennessee]], a position he has held since the 2021. Franklin served as the head football coach at Vanderbilt University from 2011 to 2013 before going Penn State.

Think someone jumped the gun a bit?

As of 8:08 AM, his wikipedia page says this:

James Geoffrey Franklin (born February 2, 1972) is an American football coach and former player. He is the head football coach at the University of Tennessee]], a position he has held since the 2021. Franklin served as the head football coach at Vanderbilt University from 2011 to 2013 before going Penn State.

Think someone jumped the gun a bit?
I thought they had an approval process for that?

Reactions: JohnnyJava
True story: Between his first and second season around May or June, I had to take my wife down to the allergy doctor at Vandy and their offices are right near Vandy Stadium. I had a long wait and it wasn't boiling hot outside so I decided to go walk over to where the Barnes and Noble is and around. I then starting walking up towards Vanderbilt Stadium a ways then decided it was time to head back. I was looking at my phone, probably looking on here and I passed a guy who was headed towards the stadium. I wasn't paying that much attention but noticed he was bald and had glasses and was carrying what I assume was his lunch. About 10 steps later I realized it was James Franklin. I turned around and yeah it was him and he had turned around to look at me and he did a smile and wave.

I am convinced he turned around to look to see if I recognized him and did a double take (which to be fair I did). Unless for some reason he thought he knew me but the way he looked it was like he wanted to make sure he knew that I knew he was James Franklin. Part of me wonders if I hadn't turned around if he would have ran back towards me and thought up some excuse to pass me again.

I mean...

VN Store

Back