Sounds like Hooker is Coming Back

Woodson did have an excellent season ... for a CB. 7 INTs, 246 yards and 3 TDs from scrimmage, 1 ST TD. And the ST TD was the "Heisman moment" that helped Michigan beat OSU which was then and still is the most storied rivalry... especially since UT/Bama have rarely clashed while both at the peak of their success.

Do I think that the national media collaborated to push Woodson to #1 in voting to spite Tennessee? I do, especially given Fowler's comments.

Do I think Woodson deserved it over Manning? Not really.

Did Woodson have an outstanding year not only at CB but an all-around player? Yes.

Was Woodson a major reason his team was undefeated? Yes.

Michigan also had a significantly better 1997 than we did. They beat (at the time) #8 Colorado, 15 Iowa, 15 Mich State, 2 Penn State, 23 Wisconsin, 4 Ohio State. Woodson definitely played a key role in those wins. We lost to #1 Florida (by 13), beat 15 Georgia, 25 Southern Miss and 11 Auburn.

So overall was it just a bad year to go up against a media darling? Yes.

And both guys went on to be HOF players. Woodson is FAR from an "obscure position player".

If there had been a COVID year and a portal and both guys entered it, how many coaches out of a hundred would have chosen Woodson over Peyton? That is all I need to know.

Also, this:

Carvin, as well as running back Jabari Small, said they have been making pitches to Hooker trying to convinced the dual-threat quarterback to return for one more season.

“Most definitely,” Carvin said if he’s talked to Hooker about returning. “We’d love to have Hendon back and Hendon knows that. He knows he has a bright future here and the stuff he could do next year, man, the sky is the limit. Of course, everyone on the team has been in his ear.”

Tennessee Offensive Lineman Returning For Super Senior Season

Coming back to win the Heisman!

You know, I can actually see that if he stays healthy... which he might given how much of his OL is coming back next year and if he gets Tillman back and we get in a guy like Gibbs at RB.

However, in order to actually legit be in the convo IMO we have to beat both LSU and Florida and honestly beat one of Bama or UGA. Heisman isn't just about big numbers, it's about big numbers in big games where the entire nation is watching. 500 yards and 4 TDs against a 6-6 Mizzou doesn't mean much. 300 yards and 3 TDs in a win against Bama would though.

Will Rogers and Bryce Young both had phenomenal years and should be recognized as All-SEC.

Matt Corral also demonstrably had a better year than Hooker.

Hooker's stats are verrrrrrry close to KJ Jefferson at Arkansas. Jefferson has 4 more completions on 14 more attempts, they both have about the same number of yards and YPA. Hooker has 3 more TDs, they both have 3 INTs on the year. They both have about the same number of rushing yards and TDs on the ground.

Hooker had a good year but not All-SEC and leave for the NFL Draft kinda year.

Good year……but not all SEC.

It was certainly good enough for “Honorable Mention.”

You can say it’s close to whomever…….the fact is Hookers rating was better than anyone in the SEC. He was 4th in TD’s, with fewer int’s run anyone.

Hooker also has the 3rd most rushing yards for a QB in the SEC……just about 35 yards shy of Corral.

There is zero reason whatsoever Bennett “should” be ahead of Hooker.

If we push Hooker for Heisman, it'll be the first time in history, but a punter from the Big 10 will win it with ESPN promoting the crap out of him.
You forgot to mention that the punter was the backup punter.

Woodson did have an excellent season ... for a CB. 7 INTs, 246 yards and 3 TDs from scrimmage, 1 ST TD. And the ST TD was the "Heisman moment" that helped Michigan beat OSU which was then and still is the most storied rivalry... especially since UT/Bama have rarely clashed while both at the peak of their success.

Do I think that the national media collaborated to push Woodson to #1 in voting to spite Tennessee? I do, especially given Fowler's comments.

Did Woodson have an outstanding year not only at CB but an all-around player? Yes.

Michigan also had a significantly better 1997 than we did. They beat (at the time) #8 Colorado, 15 Iowa, 15 Mich State, 2 Penn State, 23 Wisconsin, 4 Ohio State. Woodson definitely played a key role in those wins. We lost to #1 Florida (by 13), beat 15 Georgia, 25 Southern Miss and 11 Auburn.

And both guys went on to be HOF players. Woodson is FAR from an "obscure position player".
Michigan did not beat a team that won a bowl game. Their schedule was overrated as hell

I'm sure that Hooker is on pro scouts' radar, now. But his upside in year two with Heupel could be BIG. I just do not believe that he is getting anywhere close to the kind of recognition that he can get with another year.

Reactions: HalfullVol

Yes Woodson had a very good year. But he was primarily a defensive player right? Now think of dominating defensive players in college. Does he come to mind? Reggie White. Ronnie Lott. Aaron Donald. Von Miller. Derrick Thomas. Ndamokong Suh. Warren Sapp. David Pollack. The fact is Woodson didn’t deserve the Heisman. Peyton did. Michigan would have gotten stomped by Nebraska just like we did.

It’s this simple. If Suh did not win the Heisman, then no defensive player should have.

This Quarterback class is terrible IMO . Outside of Pickett I don’t see a single starting quarterback in this draft . So I can definitely see why he would think about leaving . Hopefully he stays . Leads Tennessee to a 11-1 season . Gets us into the playoffs and wins the heisman.

VN Store

Back