Spring Game Attendance all time

It's not a typo. The O&W was very hyped that year. They were trying to break a record.

I think it's interesting to see the #'s during the '90's when UT was good.

I think that it was a free ticket for the 1st time in a long time too. They were charging about $5 in earlier years.

63,016 attended the Orange and White Game today.

Final attendance numbers from SEC spring games

We probably would have beat Bama if it weren't for the weather forecast.

Thanks for the link. Vandy with 5,000, smh. Some high school teams throughout the country get more fans then that. I know when I went to school we were pulling about 3,800 people and we are a tiny group 1 school in South Jersey.

Anyway, 63,000+ is a nice showing.

A sellout to a partial game, with a depleted roster, with the threat of hail and thunderstorms, and when a sellout would mean over 102k people?

Man. I don't know how you live your life being disappointed every time the impossible fails to happen. Do you cry each time you buy a lottery ticket and don't win the jackpot?
I don't buy lottery tickets

Hey Sly. Hope you are doing well. What about 1999? Weird that fresh off a Natty was so small

Hey, I'm great. Hope Cali is treating you and yours well. I don't get the low numbers from 1992 through 2000.

I wasn't living in TN then, so I don't know what happened. I can't understand the deal with '99 either. We saw a ton of Vols at the NC game.

Reactions: 1 person
The threat of bad weather made 20,000 stay home and the weather turned out to be no problem, why dont we kick the weather mans azz for this mistake I HATE WEATHERMEN NOW.:banghead2:

You gotta love the meteorologists in Knoxville. They know about as much as I do about forecasting weather. This was one of the best days all spring. :clapping:

Absolutely gorgeous day! We got to the plateau and stopped for gas, it was 58, wind gusts of probably 15mph and clouds/fog everywhere. We get off the plateau and it's mid 70's and blue skies for miles.

Thanks, Coug, for the reference. I bet we could've had another 5,000 there if a couple of big pockets of negativity (mostly weather predictions with a little VP news thrown in) hadn't cooled fan energy somewhat.

I think you're right. I think we easily would have topped last years attendance and possibly Alabama's attendance this year. VP's unfortunate news probably didn't help but I can't imagine hoards of fans held back over one player.

I think that it was a free ticket for the 1st time in a long time too. They were charging about $5 in earlier years.

I remember Pilot or someone being involved. Maybe you could get your tickets at a Pilot. The stadium was pretty full back in '86 and there were 73K there. No way there was 63K there yesterday. It was just a made-up number to fit in with the rest of the teams.

Hey Sly. Hope you are doing well. What about 1999? Weird that fresh off a Natty was so small

No one really cared about Spring Games back then. It's only recently they've become this huge deal. I think it's great because it gives the fans more access before a long hiatus until August.

Weather was definitely a factor. Me and my Brother in-law were going to go but the weather report was basically saying we're going to have to drive through tornado type weather conditions to get there so we slept in. By the time I woke up it was too late to make it time. I'm willing to bet this was the case for a lot of fans not lucky enough to live closer

Weather was definitely a factor. Me and my Brother in-law were going to go but the weather report was basically saying we're going to have to drive through tornado type weather conditions to get there so we slept in. By the time I woke up it was too late to make it time. I'm willing to bet this was the case for a lot of fans not lucky enough to live closer

No matter. I gave them all the support they could stand sitting on my couch with a beer in one hand and chips in the other :)

Who said 63,000, Goat? One of he guys calling the game for SEC Network guessed "50,000 or 60,000," but he said it in a really off-hand way while talking about the QBs performing in the "QB Challenge," and was clearly just taking a wild guess to have a number.

If someone in a position to know said 63,000, that's awesome. Who was it?

Tennessee but they definitely inflated it. It was closer to 40K than 60K.

watch the tape, many of empty seats throughout the lower bowl. People don't cram together when it is not necessary. there were seats everywhere. Lower looks full when looking long range but looking up close you see its not.

63 is a PR number

Tennessee but they definitely inflated it. It was closer to 40K than 60K.

watch the tape, many of empty seats throughout the lower bowl. People don't cram together when it is not necessary. there were seats everywhere. Lower looks full when looking long range but looking up close you see its not.

63 is a PR number

I was there last year and my whole group just walked in. We were not ticketed or went through any of the gate counter things, literally 6 of us walked in. I would assume they did the same thing this year. And knew the number from last year was PR.

LWS, I was just thinking watching the game and trying to guestimate. Do you know approximately how many seats are available for each the lower bowl and the upper bowl?

I was there last year and my whole group just walked in. We were not ticketed or went through any of the gate counter things, literally 6 of us walked in. I would assume they did the same thing this year. And knew the number from last year was PR.

LWS, I was just thinking watching the game and trying to guestimate. Do you know approximately how many seats are available for each the lower bowl and the upper bowl?

I was bored a few years ago and went on UT's ticket site and you can see EVERY seat except for the terrace area but you can get a pretty good estimate.

With that, there are about 98,000 seats in Neyland, not counting the sky boxes. I think there are 65-66K lower bowl seats.

If the lower bowl seated 70K people, if 35K people sat in every other seat it would look "full" even though it is only half full.

All of these numbers (when it's a free game) are simply made up.

no I don't know. good question. there are 1800 seats in the Tennessee terrace. But that is the only area I know number

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back