Spurrier to receive Neyland award

I love the way everybody talks about the past is the past and stuff like that. now we should kiss his rear end because he retired. if they are dumb enough to give him an award, that I'm sure he doesn't care about, them that's on them. I hope they boo him right out the stadium.

He's the one who is butt hurt 50 years after Tennessee wouldn't change their offense for him.

Reactions: 2 people
Please stop the hate?? What a bunch of politically correct horse sh-t. 'Haters' is now the favorite little buzzword out there for people with different opinions than what you have. I saw no comment before this post that exhibited any hate--just some opinions.

Did he quit in the middle of the season on his team? You bet!! Did he ever spare Tennessee a chance to kick them when he could? I can't recall any. Is he a Tennessean? Well, I think he was born in Florida, went to Florida, and coached Florida.

If you think that makes him a Tennessean, then ok. But hey, if you're looking for 'likes', you probably will pick up a few.

:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

This is way too funny this early...you sure do know your Spurrier history...:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

I'm just trying to figure out how you get 60,000+ VOL fans to not boo when he is announced. I just don't see how the crowd reaction will turn out well.

I'll cheer for him. I hated his guts before. As I grew older I realized how great he was for the sport and our rivalry with him. Honestly don't think he ever meant half the things he said. He just enjoyed getting under people's skin and being featured on ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
As far as I'm concerned, everything Coach Spurrier did and said was only a motivating factor that helped the VOLS beat FLorida every year since 2005 -- oh, wait.

I say, let's just win / play -- AND coach -- our best against the Gators on the field, where'er that field be, and let's turn this ship around in 2016. GO VOLS !

Sorry folks but he lost all my respect when he QUIT and walked out on his team.

No man of Honor would ever do that to young college kids that he recruited so he flatout LIED to them all by being a quitter just so his record wouldn't get worse.

He should have been man enough to take his beatings just like his team had to do.

He doesn't deserve the Honor to ever step foot on UT again.

He's earned every BOO that comes at him.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Two sides to every coin I suppose. First, you can't accuse him of lying to recruits. Every coach has to step down eventually and you can't very well recruit if you tell kids you'll be leaving in a year or two. Second, stepping down mid-season actually helped USC to transition and fave them more time to do that. It helps to develop and evaluate coaching and getting that in place early helps recruiting.

I'm not here to defend his antics or his personality but I have no problem with how he left. It was inevitable.

Please stop the hate. He has been great for the game, great for the SEC, stepped down when he knew he was done. Yes I know all the "he quit" haters will flock to that one but he is a legend, and most of the time people don't like to ask legends to leave. He could have stayed for another two, three or four years cashing the checks and they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Respect for your opponents is something that is lost on people nowadays. He came in here and kicked our butts more times than we all care for, but at then end of the day he helped to grow the game both as a player and a coach. He not only deserves respect, he has earned it. Sure, he ran his mouth a few times but he almost always 1) backed it up, and 2) was never out of line with his comments. He was emotional in his comments a lot of the time, but I can't recall a time when he crossed the line.

He has my respect and college football and the SEC would be best served if he could coach forever in his prime.

Well said.

He can still kiss my :moon2:

Dear Lord, Muffburger and Spurrier being honored in our stadium? The General will be rolling over in his grave for sure. Muffburger hates the SEC and Spurrier kicked our asses up and down the field - so my guess it was bleeding heart Hart that arranged this?

Please stop the hate?? What a bunch of politically correct horse sh-t. 'Haters' is now the favorite little buzzword out there for people with different opinions than what you have. I saw no comment before this post that exhibited any hate--just some opinions.

Did he quit in the middle of the season on his team? You bet!! Did he ever spare Tennessee a chance to kick them when he could? I can't recall any. Is he a Tennessean? Well, I think he was born in Florida, went to Florida, and coached Florida.

If you think that makes him a Tennessean, then ok. But hey, if you're looking for 'likes', you probably will pick up a few.

Thank You Paul Finebaum!! :neener2:

<Please refer to this pic! :rock:

I always have and always will be a Spurrier fan--the guy flat out knows football and could coach.

And yeah--he is better than ANY coach at UT except for The General and Dickey--and it ain't even close. He owned Fulmer--and there's no doubt about it.

Winning more SEC games than anyone except Bear Bryant is saying something....

His zingers just made it that much harder to accept, but he always just told the truth without worrying how his comments were gonna play on ESPN.

I love Spurrier. Didn't care too much for him when he was at Florida, but that was mainly due to them whipping the dog crap out of us. He's still a fantastic person (I'd recommend watching his SEC storied) that did a lot for the sport and the SEC. And he still loves East Tennessee. My dislike towards his ran out a long time ago.

Spurrier receiving the Neyland Award is like Hitler being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, dude hates Tennessee. :crazy:Ruth's Chris is the biggest rip-off in the restaurant biz, you're better off buying a prime cut from the supermarket and grilling it yourself. Helluva lot better and much cheaper !

Please stop the hate. He has been great for the game, great for the SEC, stepped down when he knew he was done. Yes I know all the "he quit" haters will flock to that one but he is a legend, and most of the time people don't like to ask legends to leave. He could have stayed for another two, three or four years cashing the checks and they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Respect for your opponents is something that is lost on people nowadays. He came in here and kicked our butts more times than we all care for, but at then end of the day he helped to grow the game both as a player and a coach. He not only deserves respect, he has earned it. Sure, he ran his mouth a few times but he almost always 1) backed it up, and 2) was never out of line with his comments. He was emotional in his comments a lot of the time, but I can't recall a time when he crossed the line.

He has my respect and college football and the SEC would be best served if he could coach forever in his prime.

Do you respect and sympathize with ISIS as well? (Ok, maybe that was over the top). The point is, this guy went out of his way to insult and degrade UT every chance he had. Why would possess you to admit you admire him.

Reactions: 3 people

It's obvious that you are oblivious to the word "respect".

Maybe you should check your facts, my friend. He was born in Miami, FL, lived as a child in NC, GA, and Virginia, before moving to TN where attended Science Hill.

I don't know if that's quite right, either. I thought he moved from Miami to Athens, TN and then Newport, TN and then to Johnson City. Just basing it on where his dad preached.

Looking at this from a different perspective you almost could say that Spurrier did a lot for Tennessee during the 90's. It wasn't until he left Florida that Tennessee began is slow exit into the abyss. Now granted, there were some other extenuating circumstances that attributed to this, but when the arms race wasn't with anyone else in the SEC but Florida, Tennessee was one of the perennial powers in the country with 6 top ten finishes(finished 11th in 1993), 2 SEC titles, and a National title. Since he left florida we have finished in the top 25 5 times, lost 2 SEC title games, and the highest ranking to finish a season was 12th in 2007. As much of a hated character as he was, he brought the best out of Fulmer from a competitive angle. As the years wear on we will look at those days with fondness as we remember how bad it was to lose to him, and oh how sweet it was to get a W against him. Congrat Steve, you were a real SOB lol.

SOS WAS born in Miami.

Funny how everyone remembers his cute remarks and jokes but no one remembers the Vols gave him his two most heartbreaking defeats. His last game at The Swamp and the game in Columbia in '14. Only times he didn't have anything to say after a game.

We all should know though, that this is all just smokescreen...............this is lining up Spurrier to be our new OC

I know Spurrier. I don't just know his sideline persona or his news conference attitude. I KNOW him from growing up with him and his family. I've visited him and his wife, Jerri, in Gainesville and Columbia. I've played golf with him. He is far from an a$$hole. I know plenty of those, too. He is a competitor that loves the zinger. He's full of humor and -- believe it or not -- humility. Quit beating a dead horse.

635535833881064850-1538025279_elf17.gif

I'll cheer for him. I hated his guts before. As I grew older I realized how great he was for the sport and our rivalry with him. Honestly don't think he ever meant half the things he said. He just enjoyed getting under people's skin and being featured on ESPN

So, you glorify people who are a-holes for no reason and are constantly looking for the media spotlight. Got it.

SOS WAS born in Miami.

Funny how everyone remembers his cute remarks and jokes but no one remembers the Vols gave him his two most heartbreaking defeats. His last game at The Swamp and the game in Columbia in '14. Only times he didn't have anything to say after a game.

Ill actually give the Ol ball sack credit for his comments after the 2001 UT-UF game. He said that, "Tennessee ran it down our throats." And more right he could not have been. Stephens was a man possessed that night.

VN Store

Back