Successful Season?

Yes. We likely won’t hang a banner this season for SEC champ or NCAA champs but under Barnes, we are making steps forward
Not too long ago Zaga was an unknown, but they are slowly improving and getting national respect

Gonzaga is the basketball version of the Richt-led Ga Bulldogs.

Always inexplicably lose a game you need and are supposed to win and at the worst possible time.

We have

We have 29 wins now. 30 - 5 was our best record in school history. We need 2 more wins to hit 31.
Beat Iowa & beat Nova & we get 31 wins

The school record in 2007-08 was not 30. It was 31, so they have to advance to the Elite Eight to surpass the record for school wins. Odds are tough for that..

It's been a great season and I have enjoyed watching this team. The SEC Tournament Championship game dud against Auburn is the only truly bad performance that lacked energy and intensity. I was an undergrad at UT during the Houston/O'Neill years and never had the desire to go to a game, we were so bad. I will never be so spoiled that I can't savor a year like this.

The school record in 2007-08 was not 30. It was 31, so they have to advance to the Elite Eight to surpass the record for school wins. Odds are tough for that..
Are you talking Vegas odds that we will beat Iowa and then either Villanova or Purdue? We will be favored.

This is only the 2nd time in school history Vols have won 30+ games, only the 3rd time they’ve gotten a 2 seed...the season as a whole is already 110% a success, a single elimination tournament doesn’t change that. Now if you want to ask what is a successful tournament run that is different, but to me you can’t discredit 35 other games because of 1 bad one in a single elimination tournament.

Yet none of the players or coaches would agree with you

How do you know?

Because they’ve all said their goal this season is to win championships not win 29 regular season game

Edit: Or make the Final Four. They would gladly trade a few regular season wins for a Final Four as they should and that’s been a goal the team has said for awhile.

Last edited:
Had they won conference regular season or conference tournament title I would have been happy with a S16 or EE and felt it was a successful season but since neither of those things happened so I’ll say a FF. If you’re a preseason top ten team and don’t win any sort of championship or make the FF then I don’t know how you could say with a straight face this was a successful season.

People really don't know how basketball works on VN.

If you don't have a good tourney run the season is a failure. It doesn't matter if you win 40 regular season games if you lose in the first few rounds.

Those teams with undefeated regular seasons who won conference champs who lost before the FF consider those seasons as failures.

This team was preseason top ten and never fell out of the top ten.

Anything less than an EE is not a success.

Because they’ve all said their goal this season is to win championships not win 29 regular season game
Goals...definition of successful after the fact...not the same thing. If they fall short and you hit em up in a few months, I bet they won’t feel their 30 win season a failure. Especially since they experienced one as recently as two seasons ago.

People really don't know how basketball works on VN.

If you don't have a good tourney run the season is a failure. It doesn't matter if you win 40 regular season games if you lose in the first few rounds.

Those teams with undefeated regular seasons who won conference champs who lost before the FF consider those seasons as failures.

This team was preseason top ten and never fell out of the top ten.

Anything less than an EE is not a success.
Basketball works the same everywhere. On this board certain posters genuinely feel their opinion takes precedence.

So making championship game and losing would also not be considered a successful season?

I said earlier they make the Final Four it’s a successful season. That’s never been done in school history and in college basketball a special accomplishment. You hang banners for Final Four’s.

I said earlier they make the Final Four it’s a successful season. That’s never been done in school history and in college basketball a special accomplishment. You hang banners for Final Four’s.

You cited the players mentioning their goals of a championship as why a S16 or E8 wouldn’t count, but now go away from that requirement because it’s something the school hasn’t reached? That doesn’t make much sense.

You cited the players mentioning their goals of a championship as why a S16 or E8 wouldn’t count, but now go away from that requirement because it’s something the school hasn’t reached? That doesn’t make much sense.

A Final Four is a special accomplishment. It’s something the school has never done. We’ve made the S16 and EE before. As I said, a Final Four is a great accomplishment, I just forgot to include in that one sentence you keep pointing out. It makes plenty of sense.

What doesn’t make sense is saying a top 10 preseason team with no significant injuries not winning any sort of SEC title or not making it past the first weekend is already a hugely successful season

Top 10 team equals Final 4 or bust...logical.

It’s really sad to defend your bad take by taking a snippet of what I said instead of the full context. I didn’t say a preseason top 10 team is final four or bust. I said that a preseason top 10 team not achieving any of the following:

Winning a regular season conference title
Winning a tournament conference title
Making the Final Four

Is a disappointing season. Since Tennessee didn’t achieve the first two, anything short of a Final Four would now make it a disappointing season despite the high win total.

VN Store

Back