Swain: Josh Palmer "Best Wide Receiver" in Fall Camp

Or maybe just a terrible offense
He has repeatedly made the claim that the coaches had to simplify the offense so JG could run it, this is just some proof that multiple receivers were having issues with knowing plays and routes. Basically they had to simplify the offense for ALL of the newer inexperienced guys getting reps due to injury, not just because JG couldn't get it, like he has claimed several times.

Reactions: bpalmer28
And still... he was UT's most reliable and consistent receiver. He is not a talentless bum. He's the team's leading returning receiver. He made plays for UT. And will likely be a big factor in this year's O.

Or maybe just a terrible offense
That's not arguable. The USCe game should have never been close enough for it to come down to a last minute desperation drive. But games Jones should have lost... he usually lost big. Games he should have won big were too often tight. Games he should have won... were too often losses.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I'll be glad to watch a replay that shows that easy catch everyone seems to think he missed. Do you have it? I've looked and can't find that angle. From the angle shown on the youtube replay, it looks as if either the DB tipped the ball or it went through his hands before Johnson got his fingers on it.

I'm being serious.... and, no, not arguing with my eyes. All I have is that one replay view and it appears exactly like I've described.
@sjt18 so again, please show me where the db was even close to touching the ball, or how it went through his hands? I'm not putting all of the blame on B.Johnson, after all it shouldn't have come down to a last ditch play. But you cant seriously say that that ball wasn't catchable, no one said easy, just catchable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180316-110200.png
    Screenshot_20180316-110200.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: jarnol32
@sjt18 so again, please show me where the db was even close to touching the ball, or how it went through his hands? I'm not putting all of the blame on B.Johnson, after all it shouldn't have come down to a last ditch play. But you cant seriously say that that ball wasn't catchable, no one said easy, just catchable.

If that were Callaway or JJ thats a TD. Johnson just didnt make the play.

Do you have a live play of that? The still photos don't look like the live video I posted from the other angle.

I'm willing to say I'm wrong about that catch... I still like Johnson a lot and reject the idea that he's a bum like was suggested earlier. Every Vol receiver had drops and that one play alone did NOT cost UT the game. Like I posted earlier the play before could have been a pick. If not for a little home cooking by the clock operator... that would have been the last play too.

Do you have a live play of that? The still photos don't look like the live video I posted from the other angle.

I'm willing to say I'm wrong about that catch... I still like Johnson a lot and reject the idea that he's a bum like was suggested earlier. Every Vol receiver had drops and that one play alone did NOT cost UT the game. Like I posted earlier the play before could have been a pick. If not for a little home cooking by the clock operator... that would have been the last play too.
I've never tried to blame Johnson for that loss, never would. But the proof is pretty clear, while a still photo doesn't show what happened immediately before and after, with the three frames it is pretty easy to decipher that if anything the db grabbed brandon's arm to keep him from closing his hands on the ball, but you cant seriously think that given the locations of both the ball and the defender that he magically moved away right before that photo was taken.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I've never tried to blame Johnson for that loss, never would. But the proof is pretty clear, while a still photo doesn't show what happened immediately before and after, with the three frames it is pretty easy to decipher that if anything the db grabbed brandon's arm to keep him from closing his hands on the ball, but you cant seriously think that given the locations of both the ball and the defender that he magically moved away right before that photo was taken.
Did you watch the other angle?

Wow. So neither has dropped passes and you can prove they would have caught that one?

We have seen both make tough catches, especially JJ. And considering that Johnson was a FR, I feel very confident in my statement. The fact is that was a catchable ball that wasnt caught by a FR WR.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
We have seen both make tough catches, especially JJ. And considering that Johnson was a FR, I feel very confident in my statement. The fact is that was a catchable ball that wasnt caught by a FR WR.
So neither has dropped a pass at UT? A truly easy pass?

Johnson was a Soph I believe.

So neither has dropped a pass at UT? A truly easy pass?

Johnson was a Soph I believe.

Of course those guys have dropped passes. Easy ones as a matter of fact. But seeing what we have seen from JJ, MC and Johnson, what would you rank these guys in reliability to come up with a catch in a big moment?

You are correct, I was wrong, Johnson was a soph.

I remember when Swain said JG was the best QB on campus when Dobbs was there. Guess that's why he's doing radio.

I remember when Swain said JG was the best QB on campus when Dobbs was there. Guess that's why he's doing radio.
In pure arm talent... JG is more talented than Dobbs. If JG works as hard as Dobbs and masters the position, he's going to be very, very good. Not the same kind of QB as Dobbs. It would be hard to be the kind of leader Dobbs was. But JG has an arm.

No it doesn’t. Not sure what video you’re watching.
The only one I have... and even the announcers at the time thought the ball was deflected. I'm not saying you are wrong... only that it has looked that way to me every time I've watched that clip. I wish I had a way of slowing it down but don't.

Imo, that pass would have been a difficult catch for Antonio Brown, Julio Jones and/or OBJ to make. Yes, it hit BJ in the hands and was catchable, but JG threw it late, extremely hard and the DB had great coverage. I can't and don't blame BJ for not catching that ball

"Literally"? I have watched that replay several times. If it went through his hands then it is obscured by going through the hands of the defender first. So no... I'm still not buying the easy catch narrative. I'm not blaming anyone except maybe Jones and his infallible system and flawless coaching. Do you have video showing what you're claiming? I've watched the one on youtube several times. That was NOT an easy chance.

Attachments

• 60A83E14-1FB8-4F8C-88D3-EE9BB34BC9AE.jpeg
    60A83E14-1FB8-4F8C-88D3-EE9BB34BC9AE.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 3
SJT, you're wrong about that particular play. The USCe defender did not deflect the ball; his hand was nowhere near the ball. He might have been hooking Brandon's right arm with his left arm, preventing Brandon from gripping the ball well, but he didn't get to the ball itself.

We've had this discussion before in other threads. The evidence is pretty clear and compelling. Brandon should've made that catch. Football isn't played on air; there will always be a defender around jostling you, tugging at you. You gotta make the play in spite of that.

That doesn't mean I think any less of him. The loss isn't on his shoulders alone; football is a team sport. As you've pointed out in this thread, that game could've been won in any of the other 59 minutes and 59 seconds. It didn't need to come down to that play. And Brandon is a talented young man who will have plenty more opportunities to give a breakout performance.

But he should've caught that ball. Could have, and should have.

VN Store

Back