Team 121 and trollpocalypse of 2017

Georgia is going to steamroll us Saturday. Georgia should never be good enough to do that. If you can look at what they are doing there versus what we are doing here and still think we win this game, you're in denial, or delusional, or both. Look at Kirby Smart, does he look like Butch on the sidelines, going full potato because we look lost? The bulldogs are having fun right now. I don't see that same energy on our sidelines during the games. There's nobody getting us up and back into the game when the chips are down. That should be what our players are doing to each other.

Since u already know GA is going to steamroll the Vols, how much $$ have you put on the game? Surely you bet GA and laid the 7 points, right? Did you take out a 2nd mortgage to place your guaranteed wager? I already know the answer......H**L NO you didn't bet 1 thin dime. But you're on here guaranteeing a TN beat down by UGA! Pitiful.

Reactions: 1 person
Since u already know GA is going to steamroll the Vols, how much $$ have you put on the game? Surely you bet GA and laid the 7 points, right? Did you take out a 2nd mortgage to place your guaranteed wager? I already know the answer......H**L NO you didn't bet 1 thin dime. But you're on here guaranteeing a TN beat down by UGA! Pitiful.
Never bet on anything in my life, but im pretty sure UGA will win. My logic comes from what ive seen on the football field. If im wrong then great. What i dont understand is why people take such issue with that?

My personal thought is people are trying to convince themselves otherwise and dont wont anyone interfering in that, but i could be wrong. So could you help me understand?

This feels like more of backhanded insult than a "rational argument." I agree with you about not booing the team and not boycotting the games, but claiming that people "ranting" and "screaming" on a message board is immature just because they disagree with you, is in and of itself immature and hypocritical. It's just different opinions. That's what this place is all about. Unfortunately, the two major opinions being discussed are of the extreme nature and very polarizing to a fan base that is passionate about something we love.

Good point. It was intended to be more of a backhanded insult. I view the words and actions of the extreme Butch haters as detrimental to the current and future success of the program they claim to love and care about. In my mind, that is immature (or maybe just ignorant).

It's like being in a restaurant and seeing a parent constantly berating a child. You know the parent must love the child but you're sitting there thinking "how sadly unfortunate for the child." You are also left wondering why the other parent doesn't step in and defuse the situation.

Good point. It was intended to be more of a backhanded insult. I view the words and actions of the extreme Butch haters as detrimental to the current and future success of the program they claim to love and care about. In my mind, that is immature (or maybe just ignorant).

It's like being in a restaurant and seeing a parent constantly berating a child. You know the parent must love the child but you're sitting there thinking "how sadly unfortunate for the child." You are also left wondering why the other parent doesn't step in and defuse the situation.

Thats far better than the parents that gives the young child their phone to keep them quit the whole time they are eating.

Thats far better than the parents that gives the young child their phone to keep them quit the whole time they are eating.

You think? In a restaurant? We may have identified the difference between the two factions.

volnbama, don't take this the wrong way brother but I had already put you in the "not gonna listen to any reasonable argument" section and you've been on ignore from waaay back so... sorry? :)

Anyone living in Alabama isn't all there anyways

You wrong Stoops lost to Florida 24 to 14 in 2008 his only game against UF but go ahead with your false news.

Ummm. Florida was actually good then.

Tennessee losing to a National Championship contender is one thing, but losing to the terrible Florida teams of late is another thing entirely.

Reactions: 2 people
Quite a conundrum going on with VN these days. Gotta say I'm a little stunned by the way the team is playing as well. I didn't expect world beaters, but I did expect a more focused, disciplined and hard-nosed team this year. May have been a bit of that v. GT and UF....but not so much last weekend. Maybe it's the proverbial hang-over or sandwich game between 2 huge rivalries.

I have no issue w/ folks expressing their varied opinions about Jones, the team, etc. on message boards or call-in radio. Some make valid points / observations that are worth consideration. Others seem to have a visceral dislike for our coach...free country, but the vitriol in various comments takes away from any objective, subjective or otherwise meaningful conversation.

Come Saturday....it's a different story...

I do think there is some validity to the idea that what happens in the stands....booing and lack of attendance / interest on Saturdays has an affect on the team (both players and coaches). Berate someone long enough and they become exactly what you're calling them. I know, I know...play better....do a better job coaching and it all take care of itself, but the thing is...maybe these guys need a little extra encouragement to clear the hurdle and play like the team some believe they can be.

No snowflake....don't need a safe space....just the humble opinion of an old(er) Soldier, whose been on both sides of the spectrum and learned early you draw more flies with sugar than with sh....

Reactions: 4 people
Quite a conundrum going on with VN these days. Gotta say I'm a little stunned by the way the team is playing as well. I didn't expect world beaters, but I did expect a more focused, disciplined and hard-nosed team this year. May have been a bit of that v. GT and UF....but not so much last weekend. Maybe it's the proverbial hang-over or sandwich game between 2 huge rivalries.

I have no issue w/ folks expressing their varied opinions about Jones, the team, etc. on message boards or call-in radio. Some make valid points / observations that are worth consideration. Others seem to have a visceral dislike for our coach...free country, but the vitriol in various comments takes away from any objective, subjective or otherwise meaningful conversation.

Come Saturday....it's a different story...

I do think there is some validity to the idea that what happens in the stands....booing and lack of attendance / interest on Saturdays has an affect on the team (both players and coaches). Berate someone long enough and they become exactly what you're calling them. I know, I know...play better....do a better job coaching and it all take care of itself, but the thing is...maybe these guys need a little extra encouragement to clear the hurdle and play like the team some believe they can be.

No snowflake....don't need a safe space....just the humble opinion of an old(er) Soldier, whose been on both sides of the spectrum and learned early you draw more flies with sugar than with sh....

This may be the most level headed post I've seen from either side of the spectrum, kudos sir.

You think? In a restaurant? We may have identified the difference between the two factions.

Hopefully you didnt assume i meant straight child abuse. I try not to reprimand my children in public, but sometimes a good ol butt whuppin or scolding is needed on the spot. Luckily, im to the point all i have to do is look at my kids a certain way and the problem stops, but it didnt get that way by blufffing

This may be the most level headed post I've seen from either side of the spectrum, kudos sir.

'preciate it....

I'm not on either side, just a fan who wants to see our VOLS take it to the other team. I see enough room for improvement to go around, hope they'll get their collective heads in the game...and beat the ever-loving dog crap outta UGA!

Reactions: 2 people
"a coaching staff that is on pace to lead us to quite an unremarkable but predictable 7-8 win season" -- pharmDvol11

Hey guys below, did you read that / how much little-confidence the OP has in you and your coaches? Prove him wrong, starting Saturday. You can win more than 8 reg-season games ! Can't you?

Josh Smith
Justin Martin
Emmanuel Moseley
Cortez McDowell
Todd Kelly Jr.
Aaron Medley
Evan Berry
Kendal Vickers
Elliott Berry
Jakob Johnson
Colton Jumper
Coleman Thomas
Brett Kendrick
Jashon Robertson
Ethan Wolf
Trevor Daniel

'preciate it....

I'm not on either side, just a fan who wants to see our VOLS take it to the other team. I see enough room for improvement to go around, hope they'll get their collective heads in the game...and beat the ever-loving dog crap outta UGA!

I agree. I always want the Vols to win. I just question our coaching and leadership.

Sweet, another Super fan lecture. Im sure this one will go mich better than all the others.

Does everyone really thing they will be the one to change everything here? Reminds me of women attracted to men that beat them, they all think they will be the one with a different result.

I haven't seen a Year of the Superfan like this since '05.

I agree. I always want the Vols to win. I just question our coaching and leadership.

Think we're on the same page...I'm questioning CBJ too...they either need to full descend, or he needs to grow a set.

Players need to ruck-up too...get a little mean, show some heart and knock the crap outta the other team's players.....be they guy no body wants to line up across.

We have a MAC coach in a SEC job. A good MAC coach, but MAC nonetheless. Another 5 years isn't going to change that, apparently.

As the nation media paints the program in a negative light as you speak of, i hear them talk of performance on the field and CBJ ranting in press conferences and exactly zero reference to fans on volnation.

And who consumes the product the media puts out? The media is just expounding on the narrative all of our self-important fans want to ooze out into the world.

And who consumes the product the media puts out? The media is just expounding on the narrative all of our self-important fans want to ooze out into the world.

No they are not. They watch our games and listen to our press conference and react. Reminds me of the old saying trash in trash out.

You wrong Stoops lost to Florida 24 to 14 in 2008 his only game against UF but go ahead with your false news.

I think he's talking about the current Florida teams..you know the ones every other good team butt kicks (Michigan, Bama, Florida State) not the National Championship contender ones under Spurrier and Myer. I think what Stoops left at Oklahoma would beat this Florida team about the way Bama handled Vandy.

Well guys and gals, here we are.

We are exactly who we thought we might be so far- starting over with new leadership, finding a new offensive identity, the defense sorely in need of 3-4 guys to step up, and a coaching staff that is on pace to lead us to quite an unremarkable but predictable 7-8 win season. And is it really any surprise that this many of our fans, instead of criticizing this team constructively, has decided to throw caution to the wind and just start a social media dumpster fire on this board and other sites like Facebook or Twitter? Look I know none of us are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies (except for you Jimmy Haslam bc I know you read this stuff lol) but can you guys just get a hold of yourselves and think for minute? I know y'all can do it. Some may have to try harder than others. But this football team lost a huge chunk of leadership and identity.

So can you guys just cheer for them and, I don't know, maybe try to give them a little more confidence going forward this year? It's only been 4 freaking games... I'm not asking you to do it for me or for Butch. Lord knows if y'all turn in your season tickets I'll gladly take them off your hands (for much lower than face bc we suck so bad...). But rally around this team bc you love Saturdays in the fall and watching Tennessee football in this great country of ours. After all, there's nothing wrong with enjoying something that you love every once in a while. I mean you guys at least respect this program enough to (laughably) believe that Bob Stoops is by his phone waiting for us like a 16 year old girl waiting on a Snapchat.

Anyway, in closing, many ppl on here actually like the Vols. We like getting on this board and talking about the X's and O's and the fact that if we pack Neyland stadium this Saturday, make it loud and get behind this team that they actually CAN take down Georgia. So if you're not gonna agree with any of that then you're a troll. That's right. You're no better than a closet jorts wearing Florida fan that's on here talking crap just to get everybody riled up. And pretty soon the only other ppl you're talking to is other trolls bc you've been blocked by everyone else. So, please, don't be THAT guy!

Go VOLS!

200.webp

What people fail to understand when making excuses for the coaching staff when it comes to new this, new that, losing players, etc. is that in YEAR 5, we shouldn't be at this point. We should have guys ready to fill the spots of the guys we lost. 4 and 5 star QB's who have been in the program for 2 and 3 years shouldn't look like they have thus far. We should have LB depth. Our junior/senior 4 & 5 star recruits should be developed enough to contribute, and not look like freshman. There is something wrong in the program, and we shouldn't accept the product we have set in front of us. I want the Vols to win every game, but the proof is in the pudding.
please explain to me why we should, I love how people just make arbitrary statements with no substantive backup of said statements. What is magic about year 5? Is there some law or clause? Oh wait i get it you'll go cherry pick 5 coaches out of the thousands that have coached in history and use them as examples of what should happen in Knoxville in 2017 based on something that happened in College station or timbuktu in 1569?

The hilarious thing about most of you flame bearers is none of you express your own thoughts. You're a big pack of parrots regurgitating the words of others. I saw it on facebook/twitter/bathroom stall wall so it must be true.

Reactions: 4 people
please explain to me why we should, I love how people just make arbitrary statements with no substantive backup of said statements. What is magic about year 5? Is there some law or clause? Oh wait i get it you'll go cherry pick 5 coaches out of the thousands that have coached in history and use them as examples of what should happen in Knoxville in 2017 based on something that happened in College station or timbuktu in 1569?

The hilarious thing about most of you flame bearers is none of you express your own thoughts. You're a big pack of parrots regurgitating the words of others. I saw it on facebook/twitter/bathroom stall wall so it must be true.

Actually it appears year two is a better indicator.

Second year
Nick Saban lsu 10-3
Nick Saban Alabam 12-2
Dabo Swinney Clemson 9-5
Les miles lsu 11-2
James Franklin - vandy 9-4
James Franklin - Penn St. 7-6 (3rd year 11-3)
Urban Meyer Florida 13-1
Urban Meyer Ohio St. 12-2
Chip Kelly Oregon 12-1
PJ Fleck WM 8-5 (1-11 year one)
Justin Fuente Mep 3-9 (10-3 year 3)
Jimbo Fisher FSU 9-4
Chris Peterson BS 10-3
Chris Peterson UW 7-6 (12-2 3rd year)
Gary Patterson TCU 10-2
David Shaw Stan 12-2
Dan Mullen MSU 9-4
Bob Stoops Okla 13-0
Willie Taggart WKU 7-5 (2-10 1st year) in USF he doubles wins each year topping at 10 wins year 4
Bobby Petrino UL 11-1 (would take dooley back before him)

Could go on but it is pretty clear that most coaches we consider good show significant progress in year 2.

VN Store

Back