Tenn/Memphis State - Brighter future? Good article

You better watch out. Some don't like you talking favorably about the city. I grew up and live in the suburbs. I am an alum of both schools, but I root for orange over blue. My brother is an alum of UT. You are right- there are Vols everywhere in Shelby County. It's an important area. But some want to continue to bash it.
It’s not about people talking favorably about the city of Memphis. If you want to live in that cesspool that’s up to you.

It’s about anyone claiming to be a Vol fan and cheering for Tigger High EVER in any game. That’s despicable and no true Vol fan would ever stoop that low

The thing this article ignores is that, historically, Memphis is a basketball town and Ktown is a football town. Basketball is the lifeblood of Memphis. Basketball is a bandaid in Ktown for years the football team isn’t performing. That won’t change. The hilarity of the article is that they talk about long term investing, but they take a short term view when they talk about what happens if Barnes leaves or Penny leaves. This article is basically saying that long term UT gets the benefit of OTHER TEAMS’ success during down years because they are in the SEC. What? So basically Memphis picks itself up by its bootstraps whereas UT rides coat tales. Not something to be proud of or pound my chest about.

Regardless of your view, there is only one way to resolve the question of who is a better long term investment —— keep playing head to head. Rick Barnes should avoid making the same mistake Pat made with Geno. The fans of BOTH teams deserve better. Stop the pettiness, holier than thou ninipoo attitude, and play the damn game.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The thing this article ignores is that, historically, Memphis is a basketball town and Ktown is a football town. Basketball is the lifeblood of Memphis. Basketball is a bandaid in Ktown for years the football team isn’t performing. That won’t change. The hilarity of the article is that they talk about long term investing, but they take a short term view when they talk about what happens if Barnes leaves or Penny leaves. This article is basically saying that long term UT gets the benefit of OTHER TEAMS’ success during down years because they are in the SEC. What? So basically Memphis picks itself up by its bootstraps whereas UT rides coat tales. Not something to be proud of or pound my chest about.

Regardless of your view, there is only one way to resolve the question of who is a better long term investment —— keep playing head to head. Rick Barnes should avoid making the same mistake Pat made with Geno. The fans of BOTH teams deserve better. Stop the pettiness, holier than thou ninipoo attitude, and play the damn game.
I disagree. If Hardaway wants to show class, cuts out the cheating, and becomes a good example to men he holds influence over, then let the discussions begin again as to whether they should play. If not, then don't play Memphis. I would much rather play UNC, Kansas, Gonzaga, or anyone of that pedigree.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I look at the Memphis vs TN hoops series like I look at the Memphis vs Ole Miss football series.

they're both great series but playing it too often can make it stale....there needs to be a break from time-to-time.

Memphis can always schedule Ole Miss or Arkansas in your stead.

I still contend and have for years that the Vols has nothing to gain from playing this game. I would much rather put another perennial power house on our schedule and drop Memphis

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Too bad no real conferences wants or respects tigger high

Memphis is in a conference with an ESPN contract that pays each team 6.94 million per year and offers regular ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/CBSSN exposure. That number dwarfs MWC/CUSA/MAC/Belt but only highlights the discrepancy between the G5 and the P5 IMHO.

that's why UCF winning the Fiesta Bowl, Houston winning the Peach Bowl, and Memphis playing in the Cotton Bowl is so important for our conference because it means an extra 4.5 million for our conference from the CFP plus the TV exposure.

I disagree. If Hardaway wants to show class, cuts out the cheating, and becomes a good example to men he holds influence over, then let the discussions begin again as to whether they should play. If not, then don't play Memphis. I would much rather play UNC, Kansas, Gonzaga, or anyone of that pedigree.

Don’t want to play cheaters, but you want to play Kansas and UNC? And Penny is a negative influence on young men. Where are you getting your news bro?

Basketball isn’t a bandaid in Knoxville. We outdraw Memphis and have a much larger fanbase

Don’t want to play cheaters, but you want to play Kansas and UNC? And Penny is a negative influence on young men. Where are you getting your news bro?
Penny just uses his players like every other race hustler does in that idiotic town

Memphis is in a conference with an ESPN contract that pays each team 6.94 million per year and offers regular ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/CBSSN exposure. That number dwarfs MWC/CUSA/MAC/Belt but only highlights the discrepancy between the G5 and the P5 IMHO.

that's why UCF winning the Fiesta Bowl, Houston winning the Peach Bowl, and Memphis playing in the Cotton Bowl is so important for our conference because it means an extra 4.5 million for our conference from the CFP plus the TV exposure.
Yea. You make chump change because you are a midmajor with a small fanbase. That’s the way things work. We earned our $$$

LOL

Reactions: cardvolfan
I still contend and have for years that the Vols has nothing to gain from playing this game. I would much rather put another perennial power house on our schedule and drop Memphis

If this were football, I would agree. But if Rick doesn’t bring his team to Memphis, then Rick has effectively made the decision not to recruit Memphis and cede it to Penny. Go ask Kermit at Ole Miss. That game will continue, especially now that Penny is in Memphis. East TN is not a basketball recruiting ground. Memphis is.

Rick does a great job of developing players, but talent beats development at the end of the day. Just look at UTs result last year. One of the most celebrated years ever. How far did they go in the tourney, when it really mattered? Rick has to keep his recruiting options open.

If Louisville can get into the ACC then the way things work are changing...
Louisville has been successful in multiple sports and has a larger fanbase and has actually won national titles. Memphis has never accomplished anything without cheating and even then couldnt win

If this were football, I would agree. But if Rick doesn’t bring his team to Memphis, then Rick has effectively made the decision not to recruit Memphis and cede it to Penny. Go ask Kermit at Ole Miss. That game will continue, especially now that Penny is in Memphis. East TN is not a basketball recruiting ground. Memphis is.

Rick does a great job of developing players, but talent beats development at the end of the day. Just look at UTs result last year. One of the most celebrated years ever. How far did they go in the tourney, when it really mattered? Rick has to keep his recruiting options open.
How did penny do in the tourney?

Louisville has been successful in multiple sports and has a larger fanbase and has actually won national titles. Memphis has never accomplished anything without cheating and even then couldnt win

then explain the logic behind UConn and Cincy being on the outside....what's that, 8 NCAA titles between the two of em?

Tennessee has landed 3 players from Memphis in the last 23 years. We are going to be just fine. We hardly recruit the city, anyhow, because it's a waste of time.

then explain the logic behind UConn and Cincy being on the outside....what's that, 8 NCAA titles between the two of em?
Because it’s not JUST titles. Both have small commuter fanbases, terrible tv and attendance and below average success across their athletic dept. If Memphis had actually made money and built fans and damn success in all sports they could’ve built themselves the last 50 yrs much like FSU, Miami, etc but instead they cheated their way to their only moderate success which got vacated and can’t even sell out their old run down facilities. No one outside of that God awful city cares about tigger high

Tennessee has landed 3 players from Memphis in the last 23 years. We are going to be just fine. We hardly recruit the city, anyhow, because it's a waste of time.
exactly. Hard to get prop 48s that can’t read into an actual university

Because it’s not JUST titles. Both have small commuter fanbases, terrible tv and attendance and below average success across their athletic dept. If Memphis had actually made money and built fans and damn success in all sports they could’ve built themselves the last 50 yrs much like FSU, Miami, etc but instead they cheated their way to their only moderate success which got vacated and can’t even sell out their old run down facilities. No one outside of that God awful city cares about tigger high

whole lotta biased anger in that post...

whole lotta biased anger in that post...
Not angry at all. Facts. Memphis earned its reputation as one of the worst cities in the US. Check any FBI/CDC/Census/Financial report. Tigger high will get beat by daddy today and Lil penny will go run away and cry some more

VN Store

Back