Tenn/Memphis State - Brighter future? Good article

exactly. Hard to get prop 48s that can’t read into an actual university
Your sweeping generalities about the educational abilities of an entire city of students isn't really necessary to make my point.

Tennessee has just found much more success with far fewer roadblocks in areas like NC, SC, GA, and FL. Recruiting the city of Memphis simply isn't worth the hassle, more often than not, when there are equally talented players closer to Knoxville from other states, and not have to face the hurdles that generally accompany that exercise in futility.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
In year 1, Rick went 15-19 and made no tourney. In year 2, Rick went 16-16 and made no tourney.

In year 1, Penny went 22-14 and went to 2nd round if NIT. What else you got?
Then go cheer for tigger high and go away
all I know is that Barnes much like UT owns penny and Memphis and always will.

Penny has a joke of a midmajor schedule every year and still can’t make the tourney. Even after having cheat to recruit lol

Midmajor trash All the way

Louisville has been successful in multiple sports and has a larger fanbase and has actually won national titles. Memphis has never accomplished anything without cheating and even then couldnt win

You are correct. Memphis was a free throw away from the Naty. What failures. Oh, and while Calipari was at Memphis, he only won more games during that time span than any other college team has, EVER, in that period. Perhaps TN would get past sweet 16 if....

You are correct. Memphis was a free throw away from the Naty. What failures. Oh, and while Calipari was at Memphis, he only won more games during that time span than any other college team has, EVER, in that period. Perhaps TN would get past sweet 16 if....
Barnes and UT owned calipari too. Lol

And sorry those wins were vacated because the Memphis way is to lie, whine and cheat. It’s all you guys know. Besides crime and corruption of course
you’re not a UT fan so quit pretending to be one

If this were football, I would agree. But if Rick doesn’t bring his team to Memphis, then Rick has effectively made the decision not to recruit Memphis and cede it to Penny. Go ask Kermit at Ole Miss. That game will continue, especially now that Penny is in Memphis. East TN is not a basketball recruiting ground. Memphis is.

Rick does a great job of developing players, but talent beats development at the end of the day. Just look at UTs result last year. One of the most celebrated years ever. How far did they go in the tourney, when it really mattered? Rick has to keep his recruiting options open.
I certainly understand your logic but it’s NEVER paid off for us whether we played in Memphis or not. It just hasn’t and we’ll recruit who want anyway. Just not a big issue really. I can guarantee you if the vols thought that it would have helped recruiting that much we would’ve been playing them in Memphis all along.

But the bottom line is I trust our coach. If he thinks we need to play Memphis then Ok but personally I couldn’t care less. We have plenty of big time programs on our schedule and I’m sure that’s going to continue.

When
Then go cheer for tigger high and go away
all I know is that Barnes much like UT owns penny and Memphis and always will.

Penny has a joke of a midmajor schedule every year and still can’t make the tourney. Even after having cheat to recruit lol

Midmajor trash All the way

It’s easy to revert to insults when facts aren’t on your side. UT plays 4 non-conference games against Power 5 conferences and two of those teams are ranked. Memphis is the same.

UT non conference:
1 ACC team
1 PAC-12 team
1 Big 12 team
1 Big 10 team
The rest mid major trash according to you

Memphis
1 ACC team
3 SEC team
1 PAC-12

What else you got?

Your sweeping generalities about the educational abilities of an entire city of students isn't really necessary to make my point.

Tennessee has just found much more success with far fewer roadblocks in areas like NC, SC, GA, and FL. Recruiting the city of Memphis simply isn't worth the hassle, more often than not, when there are equally talented players closer to Knoxville from other states, and not have to face the hurdles that generally accompany that exercise in futility.

That’s the difference in Penny and Rick. Penny will go ANYWHERE to recruit and isn’t scared. Go after a Duke recruit? A Kentucky recruit? No problem. Tennessee fans have to ask why is it futile? Why don’t they deserve more? Why won’t UT fight for these elite recruits? Is UT not deserving? According to most on here, it’s because TN does everything the right way and doesn’t cheat and everyone else does. That’s just a convenient excuse. Just like in football, there is NO REASON Vol fans have to wait, or accept less than the best, or build brick by brick.

When

It’s easy to revert to insults when facts aren’t on your side. UT plays 4 non-conference games against Power 5 conferences and two of those teams are ranked. Memphis is the same.

UT non conference:
1 ACC team
1 PAC-12 team
1 Big 12 team
1 Big 10 team
The rest mid major trash according to you

Memphis
1 ACC team
3 SEC team
1 PAC-12

What else you got?
Your conference schedule is the midmajor trash part along with your typical schedule. But again. You are a Memphis fan so you can relish your lower tier program and scraps from actual programs that matter lol

That’s the difference in Penny and Rick. Penny will go ANYWHERE to recruit and isn’t scared. Go after a Duke recruit? A Kentucky recruit? No problem. Tennessee fans have to ask why is it futile? Why don’t they deserve more? Why won’t UT fight for these elite recruits? Is UT not deserving? According to most on here, it’s because TN does everything the right way and doesn’t cheat and everyone else does. That’s just a convenient excuse. Just like in football, there is NO REASON Vol fans have to wait, or accept less than the best, or build brick by brick.
Penny will pay for any recruit that’s true. However Barnes doesn’t have to cheat to be ranked #1. But penny won’t even be coaching in 2 years

And there are not equally talented players in Knoxville. One offs, for sure. But never once heard an analyst say that Ktown is a hotbed if recruiting. Whereas Memphis is. Think of the all time greats from UT. Where did they come from? Not Knoxville. I am happy to go to the record books on this one.

Spoken like a true Mississippi State football fan.
What are you talking about. I’ve been a Ut fan for 40 plus years and Memphis is still trash and cheating baby penny is a punk who can’t coach his way out of a paper bag lol.

If this were football, I would agree. But if Rick doesn’t bring his team to Memphis, then Rick has effectively made the decision not to recruit Memphis and cede it to Penny. Go ask Kermit at Ole Miss. That game will continue, especially now that Penny is in Memphis. East TN is not a basketball recruiting ground. Memphis is.

Rick does a great job of developing players, but talent beats development at the end of the day. Just look at UTs result last year. One of the most celebrated years ever. How far did they go in the tourney, when it really mattered? Rick has to keep his recruiting options open.

One no call away from the EE, which is the furthest in school history. I want to play the series for my own sake, and many other Vols fans in West TN would say the same thing. There are a bunch of us. It’s good for the state. We can still play other high level schools like we are this year.

And there are not equally talented players in Knoxville. One offs, for sure. But never once heard an analyst say that Ktown is a hotbed if recruiting. Whereas Memphis is. Think of the all time greats from UT. Where did they come from? Not Knoxville. I am happy to go to the record books on this one.

Not sure what your point is with this response. It is true that we haven’t had to rely on recruiting Memphis. We have recruited Nashville, North Carolina, and especially Atlanta. Then have gotten guys from Kentucky and even West TN other than Memphis. It doesn’t matter where the come from, and it is unique that most of these locations are closer than Memphis.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Looks like we have the better freshmen

good game, Vols!

when Memphis gets Wiseman/Quinones back we'll really be scary.

hopefully the 'can Penny coach?' thing can be put to bed around here.

good game, Vols!

when Memphis gets Wiseman/Quinones back we'll really scary.

Congrats on the biggest win of your season. We beat ourselves with our missing wide open shots but it’s our fault. You aren’t scary at all lol

don't worry, we still have Georgia, Cincyx2, Houstonx2, WSUx2, UConnx2, Templex2, etc we'll get plenty of shots at big Ws just like Tennessee will as well. I hope you guys crush Kentucky...

good game, Vols!

when Memphis gets Wiseman/Quinones back we'll really be scary.

I am from Memphis and grew up with a Dad with season tickets. I think I can be objective and say that the offense was not impressive. He has the talent to do it I guess. But I don’t understand isolating Alex Lomax multiple times. If we had shot mediocre, we win. It wasn’t coaching except for the defensive adjustment late in the first half.

Memphis was missing a combined 30 points, 14 rebounds with Wiseman/Quinones out until January so I'm not surprised our offense is struggling. Penny trusts Lomax and Harris as they're Sophomores with experience so I understand leaning on them.

Memphis was missing a combined 30 points, 14 rebounds with Wiseman/Quinones out until January so I'm not surprised our offense is struggling. Penny trusts Lomax and Harris as they're Sophomores with experience so I understand leaning on them.

ALo is at least 5th option on offense. He isn’t an isolation player. I know you can just say, “we won.” Like I said, I’ve been watching Memphis for years and went to UT. Played and coached some basketball. But isolating ALo in a game against a better offensive team, and they get beat. Jeffries and Boogie are better options in isolation. But it’s a pro offense from a former pro player. I guess that’s what you get.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
ALo is at least 5th option on offense. He isn’t an isolation player. I know you can just say, “we won.” Like I said, I’ve been watching Memphis for years and went to UT. Played and coached some basketball. But isolating ALo in a game against a better offensive team, and they get beat. Jeffries and Boogie are better options in isolation. But it’s a pro offense from a former pro player. I guess that’s what you get.
Where did you coach?

VN Store

Back