Tennessee is an early underdog at home against Kentucky

Oh of course I'm a Peyton fan. It's just the holy reverence held by some fans towards Peyton irritates me. You'd think he walked on water and fed the 100,000 fans in Neyland with two hot dogs and a diet coke. I'm a Peyton fan the same way I' m a Heath fan, or an Eric fan, or a Reggie fan, or a Casey fan, or an Al fan, or a Josh fan, or a Derek fan. Tennessee has had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great players. I just don't see why we need to elevate his VFL status so above and beyond others that made just as meaningful contributions on the field.

For me, it’s because of the good dude Peyton was/is, the GREAT player he was and the great success he had at Tennessee....it’s unparalleled in our lifetimes. There’s not another VFL who had both the UT and NFL careers that Peyton had. One could argue that Reggie White did, but he didn’t, not to the degree at either level that Peyton did.

I didn’t name either of my kids Peyton, I don’t believe he walks on water, I don’t worship the guy. I don’t own a Manning jersey, have no Manning paraphernalia, don’t have his autograph. If anything, I’m a bit perturbed with him given his involvement in the recent botched AD and head coaching hires. His reputation has taken a hit from my vantage point.

But the dude has been a incredibly great face of and ambassador for both the university and Vol football for the last quarter century while playing the most important, high profile position on the field. All those reasons, for me, are why he is the greatest VFL among many, many other great VFLs.

Reactions: 1 person
And I've met people with poison or Bon Jovi tattoos on their arms. What you're talking about has nothing to do with Peyton and everything to do with those kinds of people.

LOL yes, that IS what I'm talking about, THOSE kinds of people. Thank you for making my point. I didn't say anything about Peyton personally did I? I'm talking about the fans that hold him in higher reverence than other players who've come through here.

But I digress. IMO getting picked to lose at home to KY is absolutely embarrassing. A true low point for this program.

LOL yes, that IS what I'm talking about, THOSE kinds of people. Thank you for making my point. I didn't say anything about Peyton personally did I? I'm talking about the fans that hold him in higher reverence than other players who've come through here.

But I digress. IMO getting picked to lose at home to KY is absolutely embarrassing. A true low point for this program.

Lower than the UGA game...or last SEASON? A betting line in MAY? I apologize for thinking you over-reactionary. :lol:

Why ,pray tell, would any reasonable sports fan pay any attention to one of these predictions? I mean most schools don’t even know for sure who’ll be on their roster.....but silliness exist everywhere....

Exactly,after the season gets started lines will go back to their normal stuff. Right now it's just to get betting going on games and to get a gauge of fans.

Absolutely!! I would jump on TN and the points right now. There's no chance we will be underdog's to KY in Neyland, unless we have walk-on's dominating our depth chart.

Why ,pray tell, would any reasonable sports fan pay any attention to one of these predictions? I mean most schools don’t even know for sure who’ll be on their roster.....but silliness exist everywhere....

100% correct! These early summer lines are absolutely meaningless and won't be an indication of what the real lines will be during the season.

To lose to Kentucky, it takes luck on their part with horrendous coaching on ours. If we have our guy, no way we lose to Kentucky.

There is no way that we lose to Kentucky this year. As much as I have been 100% behind Pruitt from day one, and claiming that Smart can’t beat him, I know for a fact that Stoops sure can’t. I’m telling you guys one thing, and I’ll say it again, I think Pruitt is a better coach than all of these guys in the SEC. It begins with him being Smart, and adjusting to game situations. He knows Nick Sabans offense and what he is going to do in football games. He knows Smart as well. I think we can still beat Georgia this year. I also think we beat Florida as well. I think we stun the crowd in Athens, and we begin our run against them with Pruitt. If I’m wrong, then I know I’ll get blasted all over this board. I won’t run and hide either, because I simply don’t do that. I’ll face the harshness🤭🤔😫 from you all.

Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead my friend. Them's treacherous waters we're rowin' in but I'm pulling in the same direction and if we hit a few rocks along the way, well, it happens.

Oh of course I'm a Peyton fan. It's just the holy reverence held by some fans towards Peyton irritates me. You'd think he walked on water and fed the 100,000 fans in Neyland with two hot dogs and a diet coke. I'm a Peyton fan the same way I' m a Heath fan, or an Eric fan, or a Reggie fan, or a Casey fan, or an Al fan, or a Josh fan, or a Derek fan. Tennessee has had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great players. I just don't see why we need to elevate his VFL status so above and beyond others that made just as meaningful contributions on the field.

BV, I understood what you meant. Peyton is certainly a revered name in UT folklore.

I know of a few in DFW...who’s parents couldn’t tell you where Knoxville is. Pop culture...Google it.

Here you go.

Peyton Manning's legacy in Indiana includes numerous children named after him

wbir.com | Popular player, popular name: Hundreds named after UT great

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of kids or pets named Peyton, Payton, or some variation under the age of 23 are due to Peyton Manning.

Since you're in Texas, maybe the ones you know (that couldn't tell us where Knoxville is), are simply paying homage to the state of TN and didn't feel like naming their kids James (James K. Polk) or Davey (Crockett).

BV, I understood what you meant. Peyton is certainly a revered name in UT folklore.

Here you go.

Peyton Manning's legacy in Indiana includes numerous children named after him

wbir.com | Popular player, popular name: Hundreds named after UT great

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of kids or pets named Peyton, Payton, or some variation under the age of 23 are due to Peyton Manning.

Since you're in Texas, maybe the ones you know (that couldn't tell us where Knoxville is), are simply paying homage to the state of TN and didn't feel like naming their kids James (James K. Polk) or Davey (Crockett).

Somebody’s been hitting the Wikipedia! First name that rolls off the tongue “in homage to Tennessee” is JAMES K POLK? :w00t: Maybe former Tennessee governor uber legend Sam HOUSTON? Peyton as a name has been around for awhile. My point is that there are people that have no earthly idea of his legacy who think it’s a cool name. Every body in Indiana worships him? Which was the original contention. He’s “walking on water” for every couple that named their kid?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Somebody’s been hitting the Wikipedia! First name that rolls off the tongue “in homage to Tennessee” is JAMES K POLK? :w00t: Maybe former Tennessee governor uber legend Sam HOUSTON? Peyton as a name has been around for awhile. My point is that there are people that have no earthly idea of his legacy who think it’s a cool name. Every body in Indiana worships him? Which was the original contention. He’s “walking on water” for every couple that named their kid?

LOL...on hitting Wikipedia. Maybe you should hang out with people that are smart enough to know that Knoxville is in TN.

You say the name Peyton's popularity is a sign of the time and I standby that popularity is due to Peyton Manning.

Let me guess, you know people that have a Bluetick Coonhound named Smokey and they've never heard of the University of Tennessee. Sounds about right. :thumbsup:

LOL...on hitting Wikipedia. Maybe you should hang out with people that are smart enough to know that Knoxville is in TN.

You say the name Peyton's popularity is a sign of the time and I standby that popularity is due to Peyton Manning.

Let me guess, you know people that have a Bluetick Coonhound named Smokey and they've never heard of the University of Tennessee. Sounds about right. :thumbsup:

People from Texas think it’s a sovereign country. Not my job to enlighten them I’ll hang out with whoever the **** I want. :) Peyton’s name floats in the pop culture ether...they associate him with commercials and being famous. Huge number couldn’t name the teams he played for...maybe they’d know what a quarterback does and that he is one. Every year after his retirement that becomes par for the course. Point remains, naming your kid Peyton doesn’t mean you worship Peyton. Or that you know who he is. Same as before. :)

Meet the newest member of the Vol Navy.....deep in the heart of KY. No way we lose!

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_124150262.jpg
    IMG_20180526_124150262.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3

VN Store

Back