Terrible, horrific product

I’m not talking about the basketball team. I’m talking about the dreadful, embarrassing, incompetent bozos that are called officials.

How has this continued? How daft is the NCAA that this once great product, an American staple of sports and entertainment, has now become unwatchable because of shoddy, blowhard officials who can barely get up and down the court and have the vision of a bat?

They’ve ruined the sport. There are other issues. I get it. But I watched this game and wasn’t entertained. I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t think “wow what a fun game between two potential Final Four teams”. No. I had to watch 78 FREE THROWS IN A 40 MINUTE GAME and watch these morons call everything under the sun. This isn’t even anything against Purdue. I don’t think this was rigged. Referees are this idiotic and greedy and selfish that they want to ruin a once fun product. And the impotent NCAA, while TV ratings plummet, sits idly by and lets this injustice happen.

College basketball is ruined.
The officiating was so bad I finally just quit watching it! It's a shame when the refs are just utterly unable to competently and consistently enforce the rules of the game.

Reactions: zjcvols
I’m not talking about the basketball team. I’m talking about the dreadful, embarrassing, incompetent bozos that are called officials.

How has this continued? How daft is the NCAA that this once great product, an American staple of sports and entertainment, has now become unwatchable because of shoddy, blowhard officials who can barely get up and down the court and have the vision of a bat?

They’ve ruined the sport. There are other issues. I get it. But I watched this game and wasn’t entertained. I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t think “wow what a fun game between two potential Final Four teams”. No. I had to watch 78 FREE THROWS IN A 40 MINUTE GAME and watch these morons call everything under the sun. This isn’t even anything against Purdue. I don’t think this was rigged. Referees are this idiotic and greedy and selfish that they want to ruin a once fun product. And the impotent NCAA, while TV ratings plummet, sits idly by and lets this injustice happen.

I tend to disagree. The ruin of college b-ball starts with football type play. What happened to the ability to drive the basket artfully get off a shot or a defender, just as artfully blocking the shot and in either case not fouling. I miss the bigs turning and shooting a fall away 10-15 footer. Not just bumbling and stumbling walking, knocking the defender out of the way and trying to tear the goal down as he jumps 6-10 inch off the floor. I miss skillful defense not this bump and playing tag with a guy palming the ball around with not idea of what to do with it unless a blocker (called a screen) takes out his next 35 footer or what ever as the shot clock runs out. I guess what I miss is real basketball players, not oversized guys playing to their size and not very good at the game of basketball as it was once a long time ago. A game of skill, not a game of brute force.

Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.
You do realize that statistically Purdue and Tennessee had almost identical FG and 3-pt shooting percentages for the game? The difference was the FT disparity.

It’s fully unwatchable. If I grew up in a NBA market/didn’t love UT so much, I’d likely never watch CBB outside of march madness. The refs are full on ruining the product.

Yeah I was being kind, and because I'm a UT fan it's the only reason I still show up. If I didn't I wouldn't watch. And it would take people not watching to even make the NCAA considering improving it and I don't see that happening anytime soon. They're making too much money to care.

these officials did the complete opposite of how I used to run my crew. They called a loose first half which got very physical, then tried to reel it in in the second half. Backwards, we used to start out calling tight, then relax somewhat after the players knew their boundaries. It makes a much smoother game where teams could get into the flow. It's really hard for me to watch . Despite that, we shot terrible the second half, and would have won that game by 10 or more if we had shot decent.

Refs calling phantom out of bounds calls. Watch Mashac base line drive Syracuse game called out of bounds with foot clearly in play (by at least 2 feet) Same for Gainey in Purdue game, however his foot was nearer the line but again clearly in bounds. Leads one to suspect other out of bounds calls were made up as well but wrong camera angle to tell.

Vescovi made a free throw at 8:00 and that was the last free throw Tennessee shot. From that point on Purdue shot 19 free throws

And the other problem is several of us were calling that was going to happen. It happens like clockwork, they call a bunch of one team then "make up" and the way things happened it was going to be Purdue would get the friendly whistle the rest of the game.

I will blame our team for not stepping up and scoring during the friendly whistle time. But the officiating is garbage, complete utter garbage.

Refs calling phantom out of bounds calls. Watch Mashac base line drive Syracuse game called out of bounds with foot clearly in play (by at least 2 feet) Same for Gainey in Purdue game, however his foot was nearer the line but again clearly in bounds. Leads one to suspect other out of bounds calls were made up as well but wrong camera angle to tell.

And then on the flip side blatantly missed the ball being out a few times. Once in the first half it clearly went off a Purdue player and bounced out of bounds and the Purdue player got it and they kept going. And then the Purdue player blatantly stepping over the line on the inbounds in the second half, which for the life of me how the ref staring right at him missed that especially with no other player around.

Reactions: walkenvol
I understand the displeasure with officiating on Edey...but he is so big ever move looks like a foul .....
They called him for mysterious fouls on rebounds that I didn't see, but didn't call anything on gripping defenders and rebounders with the off hand. They also didn't call Estrella for several egregious holds on our side, which I don't blame him for but it really revealed how badly the game was officiated.

You do realize that statistically Purdue and Tennessee had almost identical FG and 3-pt shooting percentages for the game? The difference was the FT disparity.
How does that excuse Tennessee's poor offensive performance? They shot 33%. If they play just a little better offensively they win the game and free throws wouldn't be an excuse.

How about go cheer for your second favorite team. I'm sure the Vols will be fine at the end of the year, and they're not really lacking for fans like you. Lots of bandwagon fans who'll really be on the bandwagon if they make an end of the year run. Sure we'll see you there.
I'm just stating the obvious. I'll always be a fan, but it's also ok to voice my opinion on the offensive woes that consistently seem to hinder this team. How does that make me a bandwagon fan? lol. I'm not going anywhere.

I watched the first half. I gave up at halftime. Even if it was reversed and we had 48 FTs I’d feel the same way. Refs are ruining hoops and football. What’s the over/under on how many FTs are in the game today?? I’ll say 55 and take the over.

Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.
Tennessee and Purdue both shot almost identical percentages from the field and from 3. One team won, another team lost. Sometimes you just chalk it up to two good defensive teams playing a close game. They can't both win. In a game like that, when your opponent shoots 18 more FTs, it makes winning difficult.

You make it sound like hitting 23' jumpers is routine. And yes, expending a lot of energy on defense probably has some cumulative effect, as does playing two games in less than 24 hours. But going 8-30 isn't some abysmal effort. We've won plenty of games shooting that way from deep. The bigger issue is that we only got one look most times down the floor while Purdue got tow and sometimes three chances.

How does that excuse Tennessee's poor offensive performance? They shot 33%. If they play just a little better offensively they win the game and free throws wouldn't be an excuse.
You know what? I think Tennessee is purposefully shooting poorly. I think it’s all a conspiracy by our lousy coach to play this tough stretch of games so he could piss everyone off and get fired. I mean, since basketball is only a 12-game season, I guess 5 games is a really good sample size.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Another boring thread about officiating....and let's not forget that Bilas hates us!
You will never see me complain about refs... tbh you probably can't find a post where I have... but they were the worst I have ever witnessed. Completely took the flow out of the game. They were awful on both sides. Just completely inconsistent.

Also whoever designed that court should never do that again. I get you have to have have advertisements but the ones on the sides of the court where it goes right up to the out of bounds is awful. There should be some space between where you can still clearly see the out of bounds. If the entire end and sides were all solid that would be one thing, but it's not.

these officials did the complete opposite of how I used to run my crew. They called a loose first half which got very physical, then tried to reel it in in the second half. Backwards, we used to start out calling tight, then relax somewhat after the players knew their boundaries. It makes a much smoother game where teams could get into the flow. It's really hard for me to watch . Despite that, we shot terrible the second half, and would have won that game by 10 or more if we had shot decent.
Bingo! I said the exact same thing. You can't let them kill each other for a half, then come out of the locker room at halftime and call every touch foul under the sun.

VN Store

Back