The Endzone Garden Thread

@VolNExile, is the honeysuckle vine that we grew up with in the South an introduced plant from Asia or native to North America and elsewhere?

@VolNExile, is the honeysuckle vine that we grew up with in the South an introduced plant from Asia or native to North America and elsewhere?
If it was white with yellow, it was probably Japanese honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica. It's like a lot of exotics, brought over as an ornamental and got loose. It can be controlled, as Slice has done, but someone has to be there to control it. It's wonderfully scented though, and the bees (and kids) do enjoy it.

There are native (to North America) vining and shrub-type honeysuckles, but they can be hard to find in nurseries, whereas you can just dig up Japanese honeysuckle along roadsides etc. Or just wait until it pops up in disturbed soil thanks to the wonders of bird poop.

Well, as far as invasive species go, the Japanese honeysuckle isn’t as noxious as kudzu or privet or elaeagnus.

I’m stumped, then. Only thing I have left is if somehow the growing tips on the runts were broken off. I had one plant that never made it past the cotyledon (seed leaf) stage. The growing tip had been broken. The two leaves were the size of silver dollars, but the plant never grew beyond that.
I've had mixed success seeding this year as well. Mine range from 3" to prob 8 plus incehs, and spent couple months on heat mat and grow lights. Moved to porch and never really hardened off yet. Transferred to garden over the weekend and holding up.

Seeded some dwarfs for containers for a guy at work moving into a new apartment. They sprouted atleast two weeks ago, if not 3 and are still just under 2" and were on mat with grow light in front of a west window. It's been weird.

My peppers also did not harden off great. Everything I've transferred to garden is staked up for now. THey will get there soon enough. But, I had on porch to harden off for 2+weeks.

Egg plant is coming along and peppy but they take a long time like peppers. Maybe longer My broccoli rabi and brussels still small and wire thin after 3 months. But I did get some nursery bought in anticipation these would not develop. Second year trying to rear broccoli and brussels to no avail. Those two plants are strange. They have a smaller stalk where they sprout and about an inch up it swells to a bigger stalk. Even the purchased ones.

Last edited:
I’m not alone in having weak seedlings. Four have survived planting in the garden, and five are looking like they’re going to make it. The remaining few are looking like future compost material.

In good news, four of my moonflower seeds have germinated. I should be able to enjoy their blooms again this summer.

Some of my seeds, especially tomatoes are 3+ years old. Some newer. But, that doesn't seem to have hindered my germination. I know Exie likes to keep hers up to date, but I've ordered so many tomato seeds I can't just part with them. They store in a cardboard box in the bottom of a cabinet. maybe that's been my saving grace.

Some of my seeds, especially tomatoes are 3+ years old. Some newer. But, that doesn't seem to have hindered my germination. I know Exie likes to keep hers up to date, but I've ordered so many tomato seeds I can't just part with them. They store in a cardboard box in the bottom of a cabinet. maybe that's been my saving grace.
Ha! If only.

1715272153042.jpeg

Reactions: malinoisvol
I have GOT to repot these things!!! Last final exam was Tuesday, but these stupid storms with high winds just keep rolling through. Maybe tomorrow.

1715272540806.jpeg

To my surprise, mine is much neater. All my seeds are in a box wide enough to hold them laying on side. And long enough to house them all. With homemade index separators for veggie groups. And one in the back for flowers.
Mine starts out like this, using zip-lock sandwich bags. And then Life hits. 🤪

Geez. I pretty much seeded mine this year copying your tactics and didn't get anywhere near those results.
- seed starting mix: Sprout Island Blend™ Seed Starter
- liquid fish fertilizer ("trout juice," essentially leftover bits of farmed trout tossed in a Bass-O-Matic), applied once every 10 days or so when first set of true leaves appear: Organic Fish Fertilizer - Brown’s Fish Hydrolysate
- "Blurple" grow lights, set on veg, not flowering, 14 hours a day
- heat mats

They've been outside about two? three? weeks now.

That's all I've got!

(Seriously, the Sprout Island seed starter is amazing, worth every penny.)

- seed starting mix: Sprout Island Blend™ Seed Starter
- liquid fish fertilizer ("trout juice," essentially leftover bits of farmed trout tossed in a Bass-O-Matic), applied once every 10 days or so when first set of true leaves appear: Organic Fish Fertilizer - Brown’s Fish Hydrolysate
- "Blurple" grow lights, set on veg, not flowering, 14 hours a day
- heat mats

They've been outside about two? three? weeks now.

That's all I've got!

(Seriously, the Sprout Island seed starter is amazing, worth every penny.)
Off the shelf starter mix. Full spectrum LED grow lights with white, blue, and red lights. Heat mat.

Major diff is I haven't fertilized yet. I usually don't start that til they been in the ground atleast a week. But, I do use fish fertilizer, and will be adding unslufered molasses to it this year when I mix it. Maybe I need to re-consider when I start fertilizing. And get a better starter mix (i used what I thought was a good one).

Reactions: VolNExile
Off the shelf starter mix. Full spectrum LED grow lights with white, blue, and red lights. Heat mat.

Major diff is I haven't fertilized yet. I usually don't start that til they been in the ground atleast a week. But, I do use fish fertilizer, and will be adding unslufered molasses to it this year when I mix it. Maybe I need to re-consider when I start fertilizing. And get a better starter mix (i used what I thought was a good one).
The fertilizer sounds like it might be the main issue. I was actually late starting it, and it was pretty amazing how quickly they responded.

Also, for the lights, they were in a tent (ahem) in the basement (ahem), and I didn't water them as often as I should have. Several definitely got the droops, more than once, but they don't seem to have been permanently weakened.

Of course, now they're in danger of being drowned outside. Can't win.

VN Store

Back