The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #9 Florida Atlantic NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, TBS

I for one am very disappointed. As long as Barnes is coach, Sweet Sixteen is going to be the best we do in the national tourney. And that's ok, but I'm still disappointed. I wish he would review everything and make some fundamental changes in his philosophy. He simply cannot get the most out of his talen with his offense. It kills us every year. If he doesn't overhaul his offense, we will bump our heads against this ceiling year after year after year. It's fine to teach great defense, but why not strive for great offense, too?

No, what kills us every year is inconsistency. The offense is fine. I highly doubt it's in his game plan for the players to shoot 33% from the floor on the night. We led most of the game with that kind of shooting thanks to the defense and their turnovers.

We saw this last year. Hot shooting night followed by a night where we can't hit anything. And yet people want to blame Barnes for his players not consistently executing. Be disappointed all you want, but Tennessee has never made a Final Four in it's history and has only ever made one Elite Eight appearance. With Barnes, without Barnes...doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Rick Barnes getting this team to sweet 16 was elite coaching job, it really was. Wasn’t even close to his best team, had them ranked top 25 all year (second consecutive year in a row), had massive wins this year, and had this team never quit through adversity. Just getting beat FAU gonna leave a really sour taste on what was actually a good season and it is depressing.

For every massive win, we had an equally bad loss. Vandy, Colorado, Florida TWICE. If we’re gonna praise the wins you have acknowledge the loses. Losing this game and tournament, was a reflection of our season. Beat teams we shouldn’t, like Duke and then crap our pants vs FAU. At some point being that streaky, for the whole season, that’s gotta come back to the coaches.

#50 was a flopper, and apparently he had you and the refs falling for it all night.
He was a flopper no doubt but the flagrant was deserved. It didn’t happen on the replay they showed but Uros elbowed the guy in the head. They didn’t get a chance to review till after the 3.

Last edited:
It's been pretty bad as a team percentage before, but I think this is the worst, if not close to it. We always have 1 maybe 2 that are pretty good (say, 77-85%) individually, but that doesn't make up for it because those players don't go to the line enough for it to make an impact. This whole team needs FT practice like that's all they'll ever be allowed to shoot again.

Maybe that and layups. :)

It's been pretty bad as a team percentage before, but I think this is the worst, if not close to it. We always have 1 maybe 2 that are pretty good (say, 77-85%) individually, but that doesn't make up for it because those players don't go to the line enough for it to make an impact. This whole team needs FT practice like that's all they'll ever be allowed to shoot again.

Maybe that and layups. :)
For what purpose? This team is history and will never play together again…..

For every massive win, we had an equally bad loss. Vandy, Colorado, Florida TWICE. If we’re gonna praise the wins you have acknowledge the loses. Losing this game and tournament, was a reflection of our season. Beat teams we shouldn’t, like Duke and then crap our pants vs FAU. At some point being that streaky, for the whole season, that’s gotta come back to the coaches.

We only played Florida one time. You’re thinking of Kentucky.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
The first change in philosophy that Rick needs to adjust is to

CALL A TIMEOUT WHEN THE OTHER TEAM IS ON A RUN

That lost the game and has lost us many games

Periodt.
So our 30% shooting, our best players disappearing, no hustle and getting out rebounded by a bunch of midgets had nothing to do with it? Could have called 10 timeouts and it would not have overcome the poor effort on the floor. For some reason, we just didn’t show up and that will get you beat in the tournament. All it takes is one no show and you’re done.

Reactions: Tenacjim
How does a guy get 27 points against Duke and can't get a field goal or a rebound in the 1st half against FAU?? I have to watch the replay to see what he was doing out there.

How does a guy get 27 points against Duke and can't get a field goal or a rebound in the 1st half against FAU?? I have to watch the replay to see what he was doing out there.
Doing what he did all year. Disappearing at random. Idk if I'm impressed or disappointed in this team. We have a team full of guys who can't dribble or shoot and made it to the S16.

Well… that sucked…

I guess as I was driving home I realized how everyone loses their last “real” game, except the champs.We lost today sure, but even if we won, we certainly don’t have the stuff, maybe magic to win the next three games.

The team looked lost today, offensively and defensively. I’ll let Zz be the reason for most of that. Wide open shots for the owls that of course they would eventually start making. And of course our legendary misses of wide open bunnies. Not a single hero that would put the entire team on his back and will us to victory.

I hate to say it, but we didn’t deserve to win today. The better team won, congrats FAU.

Truly rooting for Tennessee basketball is like Charlie Brown kicking the football. Just when you think it’s all lined up, that ole Lucy snatches it all away.
I enjoyed the season. Enjoyed watching the guys play. They always played hard and that is all you can ask. Sweet 16 is pretty dang good. Tennessee just needs to get there on a consistent basis and they will get their turn. The longer it takes the sweeter it will be when they move on. I love Barnes and would not trade him for any coach in the country.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I enjoyed the season. Enjoyed watching the guys play. They always played hard and that is all you can ask. Sweet 16 is pretty dang good. Tennessee just needs to get there on a consistent basis and they will get their turn. The longer it takes the sweeter it will be when they move on. I love Barnes and would not trade him for any coach in the country.
Totally agree. Losing ZZ was like losing one of your 6 spark plugs in your car. It misses.

Didn’t lose to Florida twice, only played them once. This team was just an average - above average type of team. We didn’t have that one true elite guy. We had some players that would go off for a game or two, but never lasted more than that. It’s a team with a bunch of role players, that played their asses off. We overachieved first half of the season, until the Florida game, and then the injuries stockpiled. We overachieved making it to the sweet 16. We should have beat FAU, but the offense and players didn’t seize the moment. Depressing the way the season ended, but this team overachieved. Missed 2 pieces to make it an Elite team

Is the sweet 16 really crapping the bed? We knew the offense would get us beat. It has all year when we’ve lost.
I'm frustrated because it feels like we so frequently have such a nice path forward then lay an egg like this.

On its own a Sweet 16 is great. When you consider who we lost to to not make the Elite 8... I'd say it's crapping the bed.

Right. It was the worst instance of it in this game. He needs to be called out for it by the media.

I'm not sure who started it, or when, but this contrarian notion that I, the coach, will just let my players keep playing and hope they can figure out how
to stop the opponent's momentum and switch it back to us is utter nonsense. There's a reason that coaches, for decades, have been calling TO's to regroup when the opponent is on a roll. Doesn't mean it's automatically going to work, but there is logic behind the idea of stopping the game when it's going badly for you and giving your players instructions on how to play better and slow the opponent.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
This game was chess, and I’m not surprised that Tennessee got outplayed by Florida Atlantic in the 2nd half.
Florida Atlantic made more critical shots in the 2nd half.

Tennessee did have a prosperous run in the tournament because Sweet 16 for the 1st time since 2019 which they achieved without 1 of their best players.

VN Store

Back