The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #9 Florida Atlantic NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, TBS

No, what kills us every year is inconsistency. The offense is fine. I highly doubt it's in his game plan for the players to shoot 33% from the floor on the night. We led most of the game with that kind of shooting thanks to the defense and their turnovers.

We saw this last year. Hot shooting night followed by a night where we can't hit anything. And yet people want to blame Barnes for his players not consistently executing. Be disappointed all you want, but Tennessee has never made a Final Four in it's history and has only ever made one Elite Eight appearance. With Barnes, without Barnes...doesn't matter.
It seems that the players are more consistent when we are the underdog. Against Duke, they were super aggressive on both offense and defense. We beat a team that had better talent , at least at the 1 and 5 positions. I think last night, FAU had superior talent at the 1 position. They were able to contest almost ever outside shot we made. On the other hand, we had difficulty defending their shots from anywhere on the floor. Against Duke, we had players crashing the board on offense and defense. Last night, it appeared everyone was waiting for someone else to aggressively go after rebounds. Result, a lose to a good team, but one we should have beaten. Review the tapes of the two games and you will see why we lost.

No, what kills us every year is inconsistency. The offense is fine. I highly doubt it's in his game plan for the players to shoot 33% from the floor on the night. We led most of the game with that kind of shooting thanks to the defense and their turnovers.

I don't agree that the offense is fine. There's a problem with either the offense or the lack of shot creators that Barnes recruits, but it's more likely a combination of both. The cold streaks have come far too often during Barnes' time here, and unfortunately they seem to come at some of the worst times.

The Vols get nothing in transition, rarely get good shots early in the shot clock, and there are very few uncontested shots on offense - they have to work hard for every point, and it's damn hard to win at this level playing that way, regardless how good you are defensively.

You see a team like FAU, with far less resources than UT, going 9-10 deep with players that can produce offensively, shoot the 3 ball, crash the offensive boards, and still not allow easy shots on defense. That's a problem either with the kind of kid that Rick recruits or with the system he plays, but it's probably a little of both.

Barnes has been doing this a long time with a lot of success, but it is past time he steps back and takes a really good look at both his recruiting and his offensive system. Great coaches have always adjusted as the game changes, and if he doesn't see that there will always be a ceiling to how far you can go today with a grinding defensive system that looks to keep games in the 50's, then we're 'doomed' to always be a 20+ win, first weekend team in the NCAA's. There are certainly worse things to be, but it wouldn't take a whole lot of adjusting to give us a shot at that next level.

I enjoyed the season. Enjoyed watching the guys play. They always played hard and that is all you can ask. Sweet 16 is pretty dang good. Tennessee just needs to get there on a consistent basis and they will get their turn. The longer it takes the sweeter it will be when they move on. I love Barnes and would not trade him for any coach in the country.

I don't disagree except with the part of "getting their turn". You can't run a program on 'hope' and 'chance', and as much as I like Barnes it's time he adjusted a bit in the way he does things if UT is ever going to have a real shot at getting to the highest level.

Where was ON in this game? He scores 27 against Duke and then against an /undersized/ FAU he's a complete no show? How is that possible?
He scored his first basket in the game with just over 5 minutes left in the game! Unbelievable. This game was tailor-made for him. We need
his scoring. The guy is a mystery. Just too many offensive issues.

The fact that Key and Uros played a lot in this game is proof that we just don't have enough talent. Neither of those guys should be getting significant minutes.

Reactions: LibertyVol
For what purpose? This team is history and will never play together again…..
Because if any one of them want to be better at the game, individually or on ANY team, then hitting FTs is essential. It has nothing to do with them playing together or not again. Don't be a smart ass, it's not that difficult.

This entire year JP looked like it was the first time he had ever heard about the game of basketball.

I don’t understand his lack of performance as he played tentative. He wasn’t used to being coached hard so maybe he was afraid to make a mistake.
It’s a given, as we know, the the is testing NBA waters. I am concerned he will receive misinformation as he’s already being advised a late first round or early second.

Proud of these guys - they did all the right things to win- and if they played FAU ten times just like last night, I think they win 9 of em. They just simply could not get the ball to go in the basket. It was unreal. To me it looked like a lid was on the basket way too often. Sometimes there’s just nothing you can do.

Ya'll do realize JJJ, ON, and Uros are all gonna come back...

Not all three. One of them may but not all. We will lose one or two to portal. Plus, Phillips is testing the waters and leaning towards NBA . Not saying he will def declare, but the NBA drafts on potential instead of what the player accomplished in college.

I didn’t understand that until a scout told me yrs ago that the NBA is a totally different game than college as it’s all transition and not as much defense.

Didn’t lose to Florida twice, only played them once. This team was just an average - above average type of team. We didn’t have that one true elite guy. We had some players that would go off for a game or two, but never lasted more than that. It’s a team with a bunch of role players, that played their asses off. We overachieved first half of the season, until the Florida game, and then the injuries stockpiled. We overachieved making it to the sweet 16. We should have beat FAU, but the offense and players didn’t seize the moment. Depressing the way the season ended, but this team overachieved. Missed 2 pieces to make it an Elite team
Even with elite talent Barnes has shown he underachieves. I’m not saying I want him fired but we should see if he would consider retiring or going out his own way. FAU made adjustments at the half, Barnes did not and it showed and got us beat by a very beatable team.

Sure we could do much worse than Barnes, Donny Tyndall comes to mind, but even Martin got us to the sweet 16. March can be crazy like that but Barnes has shown, repeatedly that his max is elite 8 and that’s with elite talent. He doesn’t deserve top five salary given his results in March.

I'm not sure who started it, or when, but this contrarian notion that I, the coach, will just let my players keep playing and hope they can figure out how
to stop the opponent's momentum and switch it back to us is utter nonsense. There's a reason that coaches, for decades, have been calling TO's to regroup when the opponent is on a roll. Doesn't mean it's automatically going to work, but there is logic behind the idea of stopping the game when it's going badly for you and giving your players instructions on how to play better and slow the opponent.
Gotta save those timeouts for the off-season. We’re gonna need them, but never use them.

We saw this last year. Hot shooting night followed by a night where we can't hit anything. And yet people want to blame Barnes for his players not consistently executing. Be disappointed all you want, but Tennessee has never made a Final Four in it's history and has only ever made one Elite Eight appearance. With Barnes, without Barnes...doesn't matter.

He recruits those players and coaches them. He's the head coach. He's the captain of the ship. If his players are inconsistent, that's on him. I get it that we've not had a great basketball legacy. That's all the more reason to want to get to at least one FF.

I love Rick Barnes. I want him to stay and be our coach. I just wish he would understand the old saying: It's foolish to try the same thing over and over again and over again and expect different results. Unless he makes some changes, he'll never take us to the FF. If he doesn't, I still want him to be our coach, and I'll still express frustration every year when we lose in the SS.

Even with elite talent Barnes has shown he underachieves. I’m not saying I want him fired but we should see if he would consider retiring or going out his own way. FAU made adjustments at the half, Barnes did not and it showed and got us beat by a very beatable team.

Sure we could do much worse than Barnes, Donny Tyndall comes to mind, but even Martin got us to the sweet 16. March can be crazy like that but Barnes has shown, repeatedly that his max is elite 8 and that’s with elite talent. He doesn’t deserve top five salary given his results in March.
When they started turning down open shots in the second half, that ain’t Barnes. It’s when calling the timeouts is his downfall. And, I really wouldn’t call it underachieving. He brought sec regular and sec tournament to us. Had us top 5 3 times in different seasons. Can’t catch a break in March. Think about it.
2017-2018: Kyle Alexander gets hurt and can’t go
2018-2019: Turner didn’t foul Edwards
2021 Covid: Fulky can’t go
2021-2022: ON gets hurt and we go to 2/17 from there when Tennessee averaged 9 a game
2022-2023: Everyone important had to go through injuries and the one player we couldn’t afford to lose tears his ACL.
That 2018-2019 was the team. Elite offensively and was not bad on the defensive side. It just could not guard the 3.
Tennessee overachieved getting to the sweet 16, but I said this last night. Getting beat to FAU leaves a sour taste.

Also wanting Barnes to retire or leave is not the move. Who is Tennessee gonna hire with a proven winning track record. Tennessee is in the best spot it probably ever has been.

Reactions: oz615 and ttocswob
I think the best team that Barnes will have while at UT will be when ZZ, Aidoo, Mashack, and Awaka are all seniors and juniors. Now imagine if Dilione comes back for a second season.

I’ve been impressed with all the young guys.

When they started turning down open shots in the second half, that ain’t Barnes. It’s when calling the timeouts is his downfall. And, I really wouldn’t call it underachieving. He brought sec regular and sec tournament to us. Had us top 5 3 times in different seasons. Can’t catch a break in March. Think about it.
2017-2018: Kyle Alexander gets hurt and can’t go
2018-2019: Turner didn’t foul Edwards
2021 Covid: Fulky can’t go
2021-2022: ON gets hurt and we go to 2/17 from there when Tennessee averaged 9 a game
2022-2023: Everyone important had to go through injuries and the one player we couldn’t afford to lose tears his ACL.
That 2018-2019 was the team. Elite offensively and was not bad on the defensive side. It just could not guard the 3.
Tennessee overachieved getting to the sweet 16, but I said this last night. Getting beat to FAU leaves a sour taste.
A great coach overcomes those things.

Not guarding the 3 is coaching.

Think about it, Barnes with Durant couldn’t make it past the elite 8. He can’t with elite talent. He’s shown what he is, not a good coach in March. Not adjusting offensively in general and not making adjust against FAU. Not calling timeouts.

We could do a lot worse for sure but Barnes will never take us to the next level.

A great coach overcomes those things.

Not guarding the 3 is coaching.

Think about it, Barnes with Durant couldn’t make it past the elite 8. He can’t with elite talent. He’s shown what he is, not a good coach in March. Not adjusting offensively in general and not making adjust against FAU. Not calling timeouts.

We could do a lot worse for sure but Barnes will never take us to the next level.
That Durant talk really is stupid because he made the Elite 8 next year.
How the hell is suppose to over come your 4th seniors turning down open shots. That’s on the players, not the coach.
Guarding the three 3 sure can call it that. Also have 3-4 year players have to be held accountable. This goes both ways.

That Durant talk really is stupid because he made the Elite 8 next year.
How the hell is suppose to over come your 4th seniors turning down open shots. That’s on the players, not the coach.
Guarding the three 3 sure can call it that. Also have 3-4 year players have to be held accountable. This goes both ways.
The point is he couldn’t make it further WITH Durant. He certainly can’t without a player of similar caliber. Barnes is paid in top five of college basketball coaches. He’s not a top five coach though. Barnes will get us to the tournament but can’t get us to the next level. Just what it is at this point.

The point is he couldn’t make it further WITH Durant. He certainly can’t without a player of similar caliber. Barnes is paid in top five of college basketball coaches. He’s not a top five coach though. Barnes will get us to the tournament but can’t get us to the next level. Just what it is at this point.
1 player doesn’t make a college team. This isn’t nba. That team lost double digits games that year. Invalid point. Barnes hasn’t got past the sweet 16 it sucks. Alabama just had their best season ever and couldn’t get past the sweet 16. It’s take a hell of lot to have continued post season success. Only one coach available that we know could get it to the next level and that is Jay Wright. Anyone else walking through that door gonna have question marks if they can they get it done or not.

1 player doesn’t make a college team. This isn’t nba. That team lost double digits games that year. Invalid point. Barnes hasn’t got past the sweet 16 it sucks. Alabama just had their best season ever and couldn’t get past the sweet 16. It’s take a hell of lot to have continued post season success. Only one coach available that we know could get it to the next level and that is Jay Wright. Anyone else walking through that door gonna have question marks if they can they get it done or not.
We could certainly do worse. Just have to decide if Barnes is worth his high pay given his post season results.

Reactions: oz615
Where was ON in this game? He scores 27 against Duke and then against an /undersized/ FAU he's a complete no show? How is that possible?
He scored his first basket in the game with just over 5 minutes left in the game! Unbelievable. This game was tailor-made for him. We need
his scoring. The guy is a mystery. Just too many offensive issues.

The fact that Key and Uros played a lot in this game is proof that we just don't have enough talent. Neither of those guys should be getting significant minutes.

Uros got a lot of time because Aidoo got in foul trouble, but Key getting that many minutes despite being a net negative offensively was puzzling. He obviously didn't have enough trust in anyone else, and you're right, our talent deficiency was badly exposed.

I've said it a million times - without a couple of playmakers, guys who can break a defense down and get their own shot as well as creating open looks for others, the chances of running into these stagnant periods where there is no flow or uncontested shots will continue to come in the biggest spots.

We could certainly do worse. Just have to decide if Barnes is worth his high pay given his post season results.
He is. Like hell far, he has brought Tennessee sec regular and sec tournament champion. Won 25 plus games 4 different season. Had us ranked in the top 5, 3 different seasons. Recruiting is the best ever been. Tennessee hasn’t fell out of the AP top 25 since the COVID year. Last night sucks yes, but at the same time be careful what you wish for sometimes.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
This is absolutely true. BUT, they will rip your f***ing heart out.

- Football team only has to beat USCjr to get into the playoff
- Baseball team is one of the best college teams ever and doesn’t make the CWS
- Basketball has a ”realistic“ path to the FF and loses to a lower seeded mid-major yet again

and yes, I’m happy for all we DID accomplish but damn I am so sick of getting my hopes up and continuing to be let down. I’m not a “nega Vol” just someone who has had a really sh*tty 3 years and would like my Vols to finish the job in one freaking sport for me.

My first year following sports seriously was 2005. Disappointment is all I’ve known, man.

VN Store

Back