These are our 2023 Vols

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
1. This is our team this year. We can beat anyone in the country for a fraction of the game - sometimes a considerable fraction. But we haven't played a complete 60-minutes of football all year. Bless 'em, I still love this team. Let's hope we can be what we are and beat KY and MO on the road. Those would be two huge road wins for this team now. Maybe we can put together a complete game against GA and who knows?

2. Refs were diabolic. That's not why we lost but they cannot run and they cannot hide from how diabolic they are / were. If adults were running the SEC, it would be addressed.

3. Everyone coming into this league from the outside has some things to learn. I don't think you can just go for 4th and 1 every time it's on the board when you have a great punter who has proven he is a weapon. I think this is CJH and he is definitely consistent about it. I would have liked to have watched the second half having punted there - maybe the same outcome but we'll never know. If this is CJH and this is how he does football - great, I'm all on board. It worked really well last year. CJH is still learning but I like where we are going.

4. Love this team. It might be an 8 - 4 team and that's alright. They may be 10 - 2 if they put the full game together against GA and learn to win on the road. This is the 2023 version of our Vols and they're pretty darn good.

Well stated.

One change I would make is #1 is not strong enough. The VOLS curb stomped Bama for a whole half at their house. They did this without being perfect and gave up at least 8 points.

Although I hate they didn't come out and finish the job in the second half, I saw GREAT potential.

Rough being a HC making millions and have your job security hinge on 18 and 20 YOs.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I was hoping that we would attempt to block that punt when we had them backed up in their endzone late in the game & we needed some points!

1. This is our team this year. We can beat anyone in the country for a fraction of the game - sometimes a considerable fraction. But we haven't played a complete 60-minutes of football all year. Bless 'em, I still love this team. Let's hope we can be what we are and beat KY and MO on the road. Those would be two huge road wins for this team now. Maybe we can put together a complete game against GA and who knows?

2. Refs were diabolic. That's not why we lost but they cannot run and they cannot hide from how diabolic they are / were. If adults were running the SEC, it would be addressed.

3. Everyone coming into this league from the outside has some things to learn. I don't think you can just go for 4th and 1 every time it's on the board when you have a great punter who has proven he is a weapon. I think this is CJH and he is definitely consistent about it. I would have liked to have watched the second half having punted there - maybe the same outcome but we'll never know. If this is CJH and this is how he does football - great, I'm all on board. It worked really well last year. CJH is still learning but I like where we are going.

4. Love this team. It might be an 8 - 4 team and that's alright. They may be 10 - 2 if they put the full game together against GA and learn to win on the road. This is the 2023 version of our Vols and they're pretty darn good.
I really like our coach. He has done wonders for our program. When we went for it yesterday on 4th down in our own territory I was livid. Punt them deep and get the ball back. This kind of decision making is rampant on both college and professional football. Games are being lost because of it.

Well stated.

One change I would make is #1 is not strong enough. The VOLS curb stomped Bama for a whole half at their house. They did this without being perfect and gave up at least 8 points.

Although I hate they didn't come out and finish the job in the second half, I saw GREAT potential.

Rough being a HC making millions and have your job security hinge on 18 and 20 YOs.
“curb stomped for a half…….” 😂

I really like our coach. He has done wonders for our program. When we went for it yesterday on 4th down in our own territory I was livid. Punt them deep and get the ball back. This kind of decision making is rampant on both college and professional football. Games are being lost because of it.

I had no problem with it. We were going to have to take a few risks to win this game on the road

I would like to see stats on our 4th down conversion % this season. If someone has access to this stat and can post it, thanks in advance

Ok now does he play Nico more? If he does that and it wasn’t Joes fault he lost the Bama game what message does that send to the locker room.. Nico does need reps I think he needs to work him with the first team since the east is over with and just playing for a better bowl..

This team is so frustrating to watch because of how close they are to being good. They just completely fall apart for long stretches of the game.
A team cannot get over that hump when the officials continually snatch the rug out from under the team's feet. Momentum is a VERY important part of the game. The team played well and also had several mistakes, I get it; however, it is simply impossible to have success when you have such an egregious bias against your team from the officials. I have seen terrible officiating before. I have seen games when it looked like the refs were biased. I have never before seen such a game where it is so undisputable that a real "fix" was in. With sports gambling growing at an exponential rate, I would hope refs would be subject to intense investigation when games like this occur.

EDIT: I wonder if a sports gambler that incurred a significant loss could file suit against the officiating crew? I would normally think of such as ridiculous, but there is SO much video from that game where the bias would be provable in court.

Last edited:
Reactions: valoisvol and ed59
23%. 3 for 13
Thanks. Thats the best argument right there against so many decisions to go for it on 4th down. Especially when we seem to have an elite punter and a coverage team that does well at downing punts just this side of the goal line.

Reactions: posivol
I would like to see stats on our 4th down conversion % this season. If someone has access to this stat and can post it, thanks in advance
Last year we were raked 12th in the nation converting 22 of 33 attempts (66%)

This year we are currently ranked 129th nationally converting only 3 of 13 attempts (23%).

My personal thoughts on the Bama Game................The first half we played to WIN THE GAME...............The second half we played NOT TO LOSE ! I had no problems with taking the chance on 4 th down rather than kicking the ball. However, the actual plays called on 4th down sucked........when they clogged up the middle the entire second half of the game, why try to pick up the first down by running right into the middle of the defensive line? Anyway, I like our coach and totally support him but I look forward to Nico being our quarterback next year !

Or try a freaking FAKE PUNT....catch them napping.

We have a 6-5 240lb QB and they hand off from the shotgun on these 4th and short ydg, why. Seems to my non-coach mind Milton behind Mays with the RB pushing could get 1 yd or less. They couldn't get a 4th and inches yesterday.
those refs would have screwed us on the spot on a qb sneek,already saw it earlier in the game twice on joe runs.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Win out besides UGA and win the bowl game and we have back to back double digit win seasons. If you can do that and get some of the younger guys some playing time as well then the program is looking more stable than it has in a long time.
I really like Joe Milton, but I also know he hasn't found consistency or that killer, competitive instinct. I think Dobbs, Tee, Manning, Ainge, Clausen and maybe even Bray all make the Castles throw AND the Warren throw. Would have completely changed the complexion of the game.

And even though I just talked about a lot of R-Sr above - this program could be absolutely great next year. Ingredients are here and some spackle from the portal in a couple of places and we should be very, very good.

VN Store

Back