Todd Kelly Jr. SHOULD start at safety this season

Interesting comparison. Moseley gained about 30 pounds.
Chancelllor is about 232 lbs. Yeah it would put his weight around that, But Stephen has added that weight to become 202. I don't think he'll ever get over 215.

Griffin is good. Another good find by the staff.

:Edit

I looked up Kam Chancellor out of high school. He was a 200 lbs pro-style QB lol. interesting...

Moseley is still only like 185 after gaining the weight. He came in at like 155 soaking wet. I doubt he ever gets to more than 210.

Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

How do we keep Gaulden off the field this fall. By all accounts, despite Cam getting some run at Nickel, Rashaan won that position this Spring prior to his wrist injury. Jmo, but I think Cam playing any nickel this year will be situational.

Reactions: 3 people
I like this thread... it makes me happy. For once in the last five years we're discussing actual talent rather than prayerfully speculating that we've got "diamonds in the rough."

Reactions: 1 person
How do we keep Gaulden off the field this fall. By all accounts, despite Cam getting some run at Nickel, Rashaan won that position this Spring prior to his wrist injury. Jmo, but I think Cam playing any nickel this year will be situational.

Good point, I think the great thing about this whole discussion are the options our DC has to mix things up. Different offenses will also dictate some of this as well as injuries.

Playing corner is one of the skill positions that frequently attracts the injury bug. Corners are frequently the smallest guys on the field either in height, weight, or both. They're tasked to tackle as well as make quick cuts to which my point is, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD COVER CORNERS ON THE ROSTER. The good ones will all play, believe that!

Interesting comparison. Moseley gained about 30 pounds.
Chancelllor is about 232 lbs. Yeah it would put his weight around that, But Stephen has added that weight to become 202. I don't think he'll ever get over 215.

Griffin is good. Another good find by the staff.

:Edit

I looked up Kam Chancellor out of high school. He was a 200 lbs pro-style QB lol. interesting...

I forget which 90's Vol team it was but we had like 20 something converted high school qb's on the squad. Looks familiar.

I think them practicing Cam at nickel is just in case some OC decides to put their best receiver in the slot like Bama and USCe did last year. If he knows the position they can just move him over to shut that guy down. I don't think the coaches have any intention of it being a full time move.

I agree but I think we will be pleasantly surprised by Gaulden. JMO

I forget which 90's Vol team it was but we had like 20 something converted high school qb's on the squad. Looks familiar.

Yeah man. When you recruit Good Qb's who also happen to be great athletes you can do a lot of things.

QB's have the best competitive "makeup" of any players in the sport of football.

1) Jaylen Reeves-Maybin
2) Emmanuel Moseley
3) Evan Berry
4) Jejaun Jennings lol (for you Catbone)
5) Marquez North
6) Malik Foreman

next in line is TDarryl Marshall :dance2:

Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I realize this is a Tennessee thread and we're not here to discuss Richard Sherman, but you've got to give him a bit more credit. He literally shuts down half of the field, which allows Thomas to roam the middle and whatever side Sherman isn't covering. Having a guided missile in Kam Chancellor doesn't hurt either. Believe me, you lose one of those guys and the secondary isn't the same.

I realize this is a Tennessee thread and we're not here to discuss Richard Sherman, but you've got to give him a bit more credit. He literally shuts down half of the field, which allows Thomas to roam the middle and whatever side Sherman isn't covering. Having a guided missile in Kam Chancellor doesn't hurt either. Believe me, you lose one of those guys and the secondary isn't the same.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you.

I would like to see cam cover every teams best receiver all game. Lock that guy down and let the rest of the orange swarm do work

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

bump.

Looks like the scenario I outlined in the spring for the secondary is now forced into action because of injuries. didn't want it to go down this way. Would've been alot better if Martin and Kelly had simply won the starting jobs in camp. However, I stand by everything I said in the spring. I believe this secondary can still be elite.

CB - Emmanuel Moseley
CB - Justin Martin
NB - Cam Sutton
FS - Todd Kelly Jr.
SS - Brian Randolph

That is an impressive group.

Reactions: 4 people
bump.

Looks like the scenario I outlined in the spring for the secondary is now forced into action because of injuries. didn't want it to go down this way. Would've been alot better if Martin and Kelly had simply won the starting jobs in camp. However, I stand by everything I said in the spring. I believe this secondary can still be elite.

CB - Emmanuel Moseley
CB - Justin Martin
NB - Cam Sutton
FS - Todd Kelly Jr.
SS - Brian Randolph

You need to change your name to Nostradamus. Seriously, that's freaky.

bump.

CB - Emmanuel Moseley
CB - Justin Martin
NB - Cam Sutton
FS - Todd Kelly Jr.
SS - Brian Randolph

Unfortunately your dream didn't include McNeil and Gaulden out, really putting a strain on the depth. :'(

Reactions: 2 people
bump.

CB - Emmanuel Moseley
CB - Justin Martin
NB - Cam Sutton
FS - Todd Kelly Jr.
SS - Brian Randolph

I agree with this as our 4-2-5 package for a really good opposing slot but with the running teams we face this year, I think we will still see more 4-3 with Cam at corner for the majority of the year.

BG- a mixture and throw in E Berry
OU- a mixture
WC- a mixture and throw in E Berry
UF- mostly 4-3
Arky - 4-3 Cam at corner
UGA - 4-3 Cam at corner
Bama - If Calvin Ridley is really that good, mostly 4-2-5 with Maggitt sliding back and forth to LB
UK - a mixture
USC- 4-2-5 Cam on Cooper all night
NTexas - who cares
UM - a mixture
Vandy - who cares

Kelly can lay the wood...

Look forward to seeing him play more this season

Momma has been looking over you posts for the past several months. Momma says that you are definitely fixated on TKJ. What exactly is your relation to TKJ. Momma would like to know.:no:

VN Store

Back