Todd Kelly Jr. SHOULD start at safety this season

Momma has been looking over you posts for the past several months. Momma says that you are definitely fixated on TKJ. What exactly is your relation to TKJ. Momma would like to know.:no:

Sounds like he is talking football to me.

Momma has been looking over you posts for the past several months. Momma says that you are definitely fixated on TKJ. What exactly is your relation to TKJ. Momma would like to know.:no:

Are you "Momma"? Or Bobby Boucher? :huh:

Reactions: 1 person

Any relation to Witch Doctor? BNL. Or in your case, MNL.

Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

Does TK jr. have that kind of speed? I know on RTI they are saying he's a biscuit away from being an OLB.

Does TK jr. have that kind of speed? I know on RTI they are saying he's a biscuit away from being an OLB.

UT has him as 5'11 208. Earl Thomas, OP's example, is 5'10 208lbs. He and Eric Berry (when healthy) are considered the best FS (if not overall safeties) in the game. Eric Berry is 6' 211.

RTI does a good job covering what is in front of them but they usually show their @sses when they try to play coach. They are "analysts" but they don't really seem to analyze. If they do, they disrespect their listeners with what they interpret.

5'11 208 is a great size for a collegiate/NFL safety so long as he can run. TKJr can run. File this with the Hurd nonsense.

Randolph and Berry will be the two starting Safeties because momma says so. Berry will not screw up as much. He is also bigger and faster. He is performing better in practice. He is just better. Not what you Knoxville yahoos want to hear, that is for sure but the coaches are going to put on the field come game time the ones who have performed the best in practice regardless of rather they are a home town boy or not.

So, all you Knoxville yahoos need to just bend over so momma can take a switch to you.

This one is especially for you Butchna:

:shaking2: :shaking2: :moon2:

Isn't it past your bed time?

My daughter's...probably about the same age as your third personality. :crazy:

Reactions: 5 people
Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

This all depends on what defense were running not the personnel on the field. For example if we're playing man coverage then yes u can go with a single high safety look. In different coverages however the personnel doesn't make a difference which is why a lot of teams are doing away with the ss and fs title because they both roll depending on coverage. For example if we're running a cover 2 or 4 you don't have a safety in the box so the idea of having kelly always as the single high can't happen. In a cover 3 one safety rolls down and plays in the box and u have a single high playing centerfield which I would like to be kelly.

With that being said I honestly don't know what we plan on running the majority of the time but I'd venture to say in those scenarios where we allow a safety to roll down it will be Randolph with kelly or berry deep.

Anyone who points out that Berry should start over TKJ on this forum will be attacked from several other posters. He is definitely the home town favorite. There were a couple of picks last season. Neither took particularly outstanding athletic ability to make. He was just on the field, therefore, he was able to make the play. Kind of hard to make a play if you are not on the field. I hope I am not getting too detailed here for Butchna to keep up.

You would think he had an outstanding year last year from listening to you people. NO, it was horrible quite frankly. Single handily giving up a TD at Oklahoma, just because you blitzed when you were SUPPOSE to be in coverage...well, where I come from, that is a pretty big deal.

I think the entire graduating class from the year before TKJ graduated, the year he did graduate, and the year after he graduated are all on this board.

Anyone who points out that Berry should start over TKJ on this forum will be attacked from several other posters. He is definitely the home town favorite. There were a couple of picks last season. Neither took particularly outstanding athletic ability to make. He was just on the field, therefore, he was able to make the play. Kind of hard to make a play if you are not on the field. I hope I am not getting too detailed here for Butchna to keep up.

You would think he had an outstanding year last year from listening to you people. NO, it was horrible quite frankly. Single handily giving up a TD at Oklahoma, just because you blitzed when you were SUPPOSE to be in coverage...well, where I come from, that is a pretty big deal.

I think the entire graduating class from the year before TKJ graduated, the year he did graduate, and the year after he graduated are all on this board.

You forgot to refer to yourself in third person. You slipped out of character. I cant take you serious unless you stay in character Momma.

IMO, he doesn't have great speed for a safety. But he has good enough speed. TK's game is based more on instincts and a feel for the game than raw athleticism. That's why I think Evan Berry has more upside as a safety, but Kelly was a better contributor as a freshman.

That being said, I'm not sure he'd make a very good LB. He wasn't that great in run support last season. He's more of a center fielder type of safety than a run stopper. I don't think he has Earl Thomas type of speed, but I think he's a very intelligent/instinctual football player.

He should compliment Randolph better than McNeil, since both of those guys are run stoppers first.

Two questions.

1) Is this really a thing?

2) Does it have to be?

Like momma pointed out already, say anything negatively whatsoever about TKJ and you get swarmed. Attacked in a various number of ways. I'm only recently started posting on this board but I've been reading it for about a year now.

Butchna, Dobbs 4 Heisman, misleading name there son, this here is for you two:

:shaking2:

Like momma pointed out already, say anything negatively whatsoever about TKJ and you get swarmed. Attacked in a various number of ways. I'm only recently started posting on this board but I've been reading it for about a year now.

Butchna, Dobbs 4 Heisman, misleading name there son, this here is for you two:

:shaking2:

Apparently momma doesn't mess around when it comes to forums.

VN Store

Back