Tray Curry commitment

Unfortunately sometimes recruiting comes down to timing. I hope this guy ends up at UT but he may have waited too long.

Sorry, but I can't keep from wishing Tennessee kids get a chance to play for Tennessee. I've heard all the arguments that it doesn't matter what state they come from and I won't say those folks are wrong, but I'm to old to change. All my years in the military showed my best friends were from Tennessee,but I had some close pals from Alabama,Florida and Georgia.
If being from Tennessee means they have a passion for the state and the university, then it makes a big difference. That passion motivates them, thats an intangible which certainly counts for something. Should give them a leg up over someone w maybe just a little more natural talent or athleticism but isn’t as motivated or determined. Need those kind of guys.

I know this is how things are done but I still think it’s ****** to offer scholarships without the ability to honor them.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I know this is how things are done but I still think it’s ****** to offer scholarships without the ability to honor them.

Considering the word we often hear from recruits about Pruitt is honesty, I suspect that whatever the promises that were made, Tray is fully aware (as much as a 17 yo can be) what the situation is and what his opportunities are.

Reactions: GoBigOrange_2309

Why? Kids commit and continue to take visits. Some will commit to multiple schools. We've even seen kids actually sign papers and still play the game knowing full well they are off the market. The word commitment means zilch these days.

Why? Kids commit and continue to take visits. Some will commit to multiple schools. We've even seen kids actually sign papers and still play the game knowing full well they are off the market. The word commitment means zilch these days.
Yeah, they’re kids. I think it’s ****** not to honor commitments, perhaps the adults set the example

He could have committed earlier when they offered and he would have a spot. Self awareness goes a long way and I realize that’s a lot to ask of anyone under the age of 25. But if you are rated as a 3 Star and the #19 player in the state you need to pick your okra when they’re ripe, not wait and see if they get bigger. As for the adults, the ones in his life and inner circle should help him understand that. Not Pruitt.

Last edited:
He could have committed earlier when they offered and he would have a spot. Self awareness goes a long way and I realize that’s a lot to ask of anyone under the age of 25. But if you are rated as a 3 Star and the #3 player in the state you need to pick your okra when they’re ripe, not wait and see if they get bigger. As for the adults, the ones in his life and inner circle should help him understand that. Not Pruitt.
If "honesty" is the word of the day, then once a class is full you stop offering, young Mr. Curry made the cut. Don't give me the decommit argument, honest is honest.Someone else's dishonesty doesn't make your dishonesty OK.

Yeah, they’re kids. I think it’s ****** not to honor commitments, perhaps the adults set the example
I think it's fine for a coach to say "I'm offering 5 WRs, and taking the first 2 that commit. Then if you're not in the first two you just missed your chance.
I do have a problem with a coach accepting a commitment, and then not honoring it if someone he wants more wants in.

If "honesty" is the word of the day, then once a class is full you stop offering, young Mr. Curry made the cut. Don't give me the decommit argument, honest is honest.Someone else's dishonesty doesn't make your dishonesty OK.

Yeah and if you did that you’d last about 6 months as a coach. Unless I missed something, he was offered before we hit our streak right? If they offered him last week and then turned him down then yes you are 100% correct that it’s a crappy move. But by your logic If you only offered as many kids as you had spots you might get 1/3rd of them and then what? Preferred walk ons?

maybe that offer is from a while back, spots on a team fill up. If UT offers and the recruit accepts, then they pull the offer that's ***** sometimes, it's simply first come, first served.

My belief is, if the player is that good, the coaches will find a way.

Reactions: jlawso21
maybe that offer is from a while back, spots on a team fill up. If UT offers and the recruit accepts, then they pull the offer that's ***** sometimes, it's simply first come, first served.

My belief is, if the player is that good, the coaches will find a way.
They’re continually offering because young people especially continually change their mind...goes both ways. A procedure that was skipped? Notifying the coaches that you’re officially committing and allowing them to guide you in...like a control tower. Not a pilot myself, so maybe one of them can explain the awkwardness involved in landing without clearance.

Yeah and if you did that you’d last about 6 months as a coach. Unless I missed something, he was offered before we hit our streak right? If they offered him last week and then turned him down then yes you are 100% correct that it’s a crappy move. But by your logic If you only offered as many kids as you had spots you might get 1/3rd of them and then what? Preferred walk ons?
right is right wrong is wrong no ifs

If being from Tennessee means they have a passion for the state and the university, then it makes a big difference. That passion motivates them, thats an intangible which certainly counts for something. Should give them a leg up over someone w maybe just a little more natural talent or athleticism but isn’t as motivated or determined. Need those kind of guys.
I agree that if their talent is in the same zipcode most times the in-state kid is gonna have a leg up because he's playing for the home team has access and support locally but at the same time, it can sometimes backfire. my memory goes back to a certain Offensive Tackle I forget his name but he ended up transferring out I think after Fulmer was fired and died after going to Bama or something. Extreme edge case and sad story but it is a thing that happens. honestly, I think it is about the individual and that comes down to the coaches evaluation/development skills. Thus far on evaluation and development, this staff is passing.

VN Store

Back