Tray Curry commitment

I agree that if their talent is in the same zipcode most times the in-state kid is gonna have a leg up because he's playing for the home team has access and support locally but at the same time, it can sometimes backfire. my memory goes back to a certain Offensive Tackle I forget his name but he ended up transferring out I think after Fulmer was fired and died after going to Bama or something. Extreme edge case and sad story but it is a thing that happens. honestly, I think it is about the individual and that comes down to the coaches evaluation/development skills. Thus far on evaluation and development, this staff is passing.

Aaron Douglas? I think

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This kid is very big and talented. Would love to have him...but his mom played BBall for Barn, and every recruiting site on Earth has said that he was an Auburn commit with a heavy lean from before Barn even offered him. He had a very long time. Almost 18 months to choose UT. He waited til the last minute, when we have 24 commits out of a 25 max class. I hope we end up getting him somehow, grades still have to hold up for everyone we already have committed ...as well as for Curry. We will see what happens

This kid is very big and talented. Would love to have him...but his mom played BBall for Barn, and every recruiting site on Earth has said that he was an Auburn commit with a heavy lean from before Barn even offered him. He had a very long time. Almost 18 months to choose UT. He waited til the last minute, when we have 24 commits out of a 25 max class. I hope we end up getting him somehow, grades still have to hold up for everyone we already have committed ...as well as for Curry. We will see what happens
the fact he 'out of the blue' to everyone in the know randomly committed to UT shows just how much those in the know actually DONT know. With the pundits they normally have good info on 5 stars and most 4 stars but the 3 stars they are guessing and crap shooting as much as the rest of us. They googled saw his family had ties wherever and assumed.

the weird thing is this kid obviously didn't bother to contact the coaches about his commitment before announcing. I think they will find a way to make this work if he really wants to be here. It would make an awesome storyline.

the fact he 'out of the blue' to everyone in the know randomly committed to UT shows just how much those in the know actually DONT know. With the pundits they normally have good info on 5 stars and most 4 stars but the 3 stars they are guessing and crap shooting as much as the rest of us. They googled saw his family had ties wherever and assumed.

the weird thing is this kid obviously didn't bother to contact the coaches about his commitment before announcing. I think they will find a way to make this work if he really wants to be here. It would make an awesome storyline.
Hope it doesn’t mean our coaches aren’t being clear with potential recruits. With our success of late, I don’t think that’s the case. Maybe he’s trying to force it I to becoming a reality, ha.

Yeah, they’re kids. I think it’s ****** not to honor commitments, perhaps the adults set the example

Nice thought, but the reality is that coaches have to recruit as if these kids are just playing games and reserving spots...and many of them are. They can't rely on the word of an 18 year old kid. As I said, "commitment" means nothing these days. You recruit above and beyond. Expect kids to flip and prepare accordingly to get the best 25 you can.

Nice thought, but the reality is that coaches have to recruit as if these kids are just playing games and reserving spots...and many of them are. They can't rely on the word of an 18 year old kid. As I said, "commitment" means nothing these days. You recruit above and beyond. Expect kids to flip and prepare accordingly to get the best 25 you can.
How many scholarship offers have we extended?

I know this is how things are done but I still think it’s ****** to offer scholarships without the ability to honor them.

He had the opportunity to accept. But, if he wanted to look around some more, then we needed to look around.

It is like trying to coordinate 25 dates to the prom...

Reactions: Bennessee01
If being from Tennessee means they have a passion for the state and the university, then it makes a big difference. That passion motivates them, thats an intangible which certainly counts for something. Should give them a leg up over someone w maybe just a little more natural talent or athleticism but isn’t as motivated or determined. Need those kind of guys.

So 25 offers and then we wait and see who commits and who doesn't and as they commit elsewhere we make more offers?

Reactions: butchna
How many scholarship offers have we extended?

Probably 100 or so? So you can get the best 25 that you can. You not going to offer every 5 star? I'm guessing that there's a board with a list of needs and a ranking of players maybe 1-10 for each position. Maybe less for some positions. And then you make decisions on need vs talent. If you can sign 8 linebackers that are 5 stars, you probably would wouldn't you? 8 blue chip kickers, probably not. And then as relationships develop, the staff gets a feel for who wants in vs who is on the bubble or gone. If a need starts to get filled, you have to make decisions on talent over need. jmo

If you look at our last GREAT team..which I would say was 1998.

Al Wilson
Travis Stephens
Eric Westmoreland
Cedric Wilson
Jermaine Copeland

Were all Tennessee Boys that made huge contributions. Some Olineman as well from TN.

Yeah there's something to statepride and playing better because of that.
80+ On the roster.

Those guys were all recruited because they were very good players.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back