Tyndall looking to bring some players?

Yeah I wouldn't add another coach's name,.of course I am cruel. If I were Freak, I would make you hang onto Stoked4Zo for 6 months....:)

I'm cool with that, it could be worse and my name could be iluvmesumdooley...I think that's the guys name

If this was march I would feel much better about the possibility of this turning out well

CDT has been recruiting some jucos for a while now, and he is now at a better school. If the players liked the coach already, seems his new location would only be a boost.

I have no doubt Tyndall can fill the spots, at Morehead State he was hired April 28th and brought a class of 8 players in. Having Phelps on his staff gives him great info on JUCOs.

My concern is that the guys he's used to taking aren't the level of player needed at this level IMO. People complained about guys in this class, I can't imagine the response to a class full of Edwards, Miller's and Pops'

Reactions: 1 person
is it possible that maybe 2 of the recruits that left today were like Wes, Miller, Pops, Edwards, Chievous?

Not trying to dog anybody. Just trying to not think 4 leaving is a terrible thing. The next 48 hours will be interesting. Hopefully.

is it possible that maybe 2 of the recruits that left today were like Wes, Miller, Pops, Edwards, Chievous?

Not trying to dog anybody. Just trying to not think 4 leaving is a terrible thing. The next 48 hours will be interesting. Hopefully.

Never know how a guy will turn out, but Cornish already has offers from Alford at UCLA and Larry Brown at SMU.

Larry Austin's phone has been blowing up supposedly and will likely end up at the school of his choice in the Midwest.

These guys may not have been highly rated, but there's little doubt in my mind that they were SEC level players.

My concern is replacing them with guys like the ones you mentioned, who are SEC caliber and we find ourselves questioning Tyndall like we did Martin.

Fair enough. I like to think I try and stay fair and balanced. Not overly optimistic to a fault (a homer if you will), and not eternally pessimistic.

If I pegged you wrong...I apologize... Won't be the first time :hi:

Never know how a guy will turn out, but Cornish already has offers from Alford at UCLA and Larry Brown at SMU.

Larry Austin's phone has been blowing up supposedly and will likely end up at the school of his choice in the Midwest.

These guys may not have been highly rated, but there's little doubt in my mind that they were SEC level players.

My concern is replacing them with guys like the ones you mentioned, who are SEC caliber and we find ourselves questioning Tyndall like we did Martin.

Yesterday you were pretty insistant that the recruits didn't feel like the coach really wanted them. Did you get that information directly from them? I know you text with them a bit. Do you still feel that's the case given some of the reports now surfacing that it was the players just wanting out? If that's the case would you think it's because they felt Cuonzo was disrespected or just not liking CDT?

Yesterday you were pretty insistant that the recruits didn't feel like the coach really wanted them. Did you get that information directly from them? I know you text with them a bit. Do you still feel that's the case given some of the reports now surfacing that it was the players just wanting out? If that's the case would you think it's because they felt Cuonzo was disrespected or just not liking CDT?

My feeling from what I know is that the Tyndall put very little effort into making them feel wanted. As of a couple hours after the hire 3/4 were 100% on board and Austin was the only one wavering. Cornish had talked to Tyndall shortly after he was hired and was very complimentary of him and eager to get to Knoxville. Tyndall talked to him about New Orleans and that he knew how tough those New Orleans boys were.

In a matter of about 12 hours the guys were completely off board, and appeared as all 4 were out.

Now maybe Tyndall didn't think he said anything wrong, or did just fine with his talks with them. He's been around long enough though that IMO he knew what to say and do to get the situation to go either way.

It's why I've maintained that watch what happens with Cofer...this is a guy who's wanted to be a Vol since he could walk and talk. He was gonna be a Vol whether Bruce Pearl was here, Cuonzo Martin or Kevin O'Neil. If he's not a Vol it's not because he didn't wanna be IMO, it's because he felt like there wasn't much of a choice.

Very similarly to Cofer, Cornish was a guy who always had Tennessee on his radar and dreamt of playing at Tennessee. He grew up around JJ McCleskey and spent a lot of time around him growing up in youth sports. JJ always told him, one day you're gonna do just like me and be a volunteer, and Cornish really believed that. So for him also to drop out and decide it was in his best interest to go elsewhere says a lot as well IMO.

Now look, I understand recruiting can be messy and an incoming coach has to do what's best for him, because ultimately it's his job on the line. My issue will be that there's likely gonna be 6 openings, is he gonna replace say Cornish and Cofer with guys similar to Pops and Dwight Miller? If so I don't like the move one bit. If he replaces them with better players and guys that are capable of winning this year, then while it wasn't a feel good move, it was probably the right move.

My feeling from what I know is that the Tyndall put very little effort into making them feel wanted. As of a couple hours after the hire 3/4 were 100% on board and Austin was the only one wavering. Cornish had talked to Tyndall shortly after he was hired and was very complimentary of him and eager to get to Knoxville. Tyndall talked to him about New Orleans and that he knew how tough those New Orleans boys were.

In a matter of about 12 hours the guys were completely off board, and appeared as all 4 were out.

Now maybe Tyndall didn't think he said anything wrong, or did just fine with his talks with them. He's been around long enough though that IMO he knew what to say and do to get the situation to go either way.

It's why I've maintained that watch what happens with Cofer...this is a guy who's wanted to be a Vol since he could walk and talk. He was gonna be a Vol whether Bruce Pearl was here, Cuonzo Martin or Kevin O'Neil. If he's not a Vol it's not because he didn't wanna be IMO, it's because he felt like there wasn't much of a choice.

Very similarly to Cofer, Cornish was a guy who always had Tennessee on his radar and dreamt of playing at Tennessee. He grew up around JJ McCleskey and spent a lot of time around him growing up in youth sports. JJ always told him, one day you're gonna do just like me and be a volunteer, and Cornish really believed that. So for him also to drop out and decide it was in his best interest to go elsewhere says a lot as well IMO.

Now look, I understand recruiting can be messy and an incoming coach has to do what's best for him, because ultimately it's his job on the line. My issue will be that there's likely gonna be 6 openings, is he gonna replace say Cornish and Cofer with guys similar to Pops and Dwight Miller? If so I don't like the move one bit. If he replaces them with better players and guys that are capable of winning this year, then while it wasn't a feel good move, it was probably the right move.

Thanks. What I'm trying to rectify in my mind is were these players given the cold shoulder to encourage them to go somewhere else or was it (as recently reported) they decided on their own that they didn't like CDT or his style and decided to move on despite being wanted by the new staff?

I guess we'll just have to let this play out. I can't imagine he doesn't have a plan. Maybe hes's sacrificing this years class and next years results for long term success.

Thanks. What I'm trying to rectify in my mind is were these players given the cold shoulder to encourage them to go somewhere else or was it (as recently reported) they decided on their own that they didn't like CDT or his style and decided to move on despite being wanted by the new staff?

I guess we'll just have to let this play out. I can't imagine he doesn't have a plan. Maybe hes's sacrificing this years class and next years results for long term success.

I don't think he just flat out said, you're not welcome here, but I think the message was basically that you're not gonna wanna be here.

Like you said, I'm sure he has a plan, whether that plan works or not will decide if this was a good move or not.

Maybe he is very confident in his recruiting abilities and feels he can land 5-6 top 100 guys next year and bring in a top 10 class.

I'm gonna support the guy and let it all play out, but I do question this move.

I don't think he just flat out said, you're not welcome here, but I think the message was basically that you're not gonna wanna be here.

Like you said, I'm sure he has a plan, whether that plan works or not will decide if this was a good move or not.

Maybe he is very confident in his recruiting abilities and feels he can land 5-6 top 100 guys next year and bring in a top 10 class.

IF, that's the move

Didn't really have have high expectations for next year before all this went down. Martin left us pretty bare although we do have a few really good players. Would rather him build the team the right way and throw in a couple of Juco's to make us competitive right off. Thank goodness it only takes a couple of really good players to turn a team around.

I think if he was battling for guys to stay here, we would hear about it. I remember the Pearl/T.Smith was a big deal.

It's pretty easy to tell incoming recruits "I need you here at TN" or "you'll probably be better suited somewhere else".

It's possible that he told 1 recruit to look elsewhere and it backfired like a domino effect on the other recruits.

Who knows really.

Butch Jones could help him understand how much it would help him pr wise if he would just keep Cofer. The one legacy guy please.

VN Store

Back