Tyson Helton is our 2 milli a year OC and..

Tha
Dude, it's called being a fan.

It's like this: your daughter might be butt-ugly (and given your personality, she probably is because her mom is probably butt-ugly). But on the day she gets dressed up to go to the prom, she looks as beautiful as you've ever seen her. You say she's a sight to behold, and you mean it, and it's true for you, even if she's still not gonna come close to competing in any beauty contests.

Some of our fans just don't seem to know how to be fans.
Praising someone who is not doing a good job is not being a fan, it's being a homer. There are plenty of players and coaches that ARE doing a job on thos team.....Helton just isn't one of them.

Reactions: papatomany
When we finally got away from trying to be a power running team on first and second down things got a lot better. I'm glad to see him open up the playbook on first down make some throws downfield try some trick plays. Helton has called some good games and a couple where you wondered exactly what he was doing especially when runs up the middle on first and second down were not working yet he insisted on doing it every possession. Yesterday he called an imaginative game and execution was one of our best games this season. He still had some questionable calls yesterday the flanker screen he called made Pruitt explode he was really angry really lighted into Helton from there on all the plays were downfield not sideways.

Maybe it was just because I was so used to Butch’s inept offense, but I noticed a dramatic improvement in play calling and offensive creativity starting with WVU. Even in getting our doors blown off it was apparent, and it has only continued as the season has unfolded.

National rankings be damned, I’m not sure how anyone can’t see the improvement at this point, or at the very least doesn’t want to wait until they see what Helton can do with an actual offensive line before dismissing him. He has most definitely earned the latter if nothing else.

hope Coach Pruitt doesn't run him off...Coach Pruitt's azz chewings probably can get old for a grown man...we'll see...:D

PS. wouldn't doubt him teaming up with Bro if given the chance...;)

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

He's very good. I think his top end is right up there with the best in the country.

For now, though, he's a rookie OC, and he's gonna make some rookie mistakes. Everyone does, their first year or two in a job. He'll gain experience, and those mistakes will fade away.

He will also get more and more in tune with CJP as they grow into their jobs together. Today, he was off key a bit with Pruitt at the end of the 1st half, when he started out rather conservative (run plays) and the camera caught Pruitt giving him an earful (no doubt saying something along the lines of, "what are you doing? you have a chance to score! make something of it! go try to score!).

So he'll grow out of the new guy errors (so will Pruitt), and he and the other coaching staff will grow closer and closer together until they work like a well-oiled machine. At that point, I think we're going to see Coach Helton show himself to be a really top-tier OC.
Pruitt was telling him he was an idiot for trying to pass the ball. Pruitt wanted him to run out the clock. -This is what Pruitt said in the post game.

He's very good. I think his top end is right up there with the best in the country.

For now, though, he's a rookie OC, and he's gonna make some rookie mistakes. Everyone does, their first year or two in a job. He'll gain experience, and those mistakes will fade away.

He will also get more and more in tune with CJP as they grow into their jobs together. Today, he was off key a bit with Pruitt at the end of the 1st half, when he started out rather conservative (run plays) and the camera caught Pruitt giving him an earful (no doubt saying something along the lines of, "what are you doing? you have a chance to score! make something of it! go try to score!).

So he'll grow out of the new guy errors (so will Pruitt), and he and the other coaching staff will grow closer and closer together until they work like a well-oiled machine. At that point, I think we're going to see Coach Helton show himself to be a really top-tier OC.
Lol Pruitt was telling him to run the clock out. It wasn’t until chandler broke the run that they tried to score.

Volnation is bi-polar. I'd like to see a list of negative Nancys vs. todays chat and do a compare and contrast paper. See you next week boys. Great Win.

Boy Pruitt went after him when they threw on first down into traffic the possession before half. Turned out okay but man that could have been bad.
That was a horrible call at the time and it was so bad that Pruitt was going to let the clock run until Jordan or Chandler had the run that got them to midfield.... I was cursing Pruitt right up until Calloway caught the ball.... I thought he'd screwed around and wasted a great opportunity to put the screws to the house cats

Volnation is bi-polar. I'd like to see a list of negative Nancys vs. todays chat and do a compare and contrast paper. See you next week boys. Great Win.
I'll admit I've given Helton hell a lot this year, but my gripe was him not going downfield..... and he is now

Solid coach. Tough to cover that offensive line.

I will donate $1 to a fund that will eliminate the Wildcat Package from his playbook.

Reactions: papatomany
Lol...we have the 119th ranked offense out of 129 teams. You might want to see a few more "sights" if this is one to "behold".
Well some of the other offense numbers are not fairly compared. Have a lot of those offenses been against the defenses UT have faced? Not saying you don't have a somewhat valid point but it is an unfair comparison for a lot of other offenses in my opinion.

Just throwing this out there. I think David Johnson has done a great job with our WR. I don't see as many dropped balls this year as I have the past few years.

I believe with Helton, an up-and-coming OC and great QB coach, we will snag an elite QB recruit soon. He has done great with JG.

Just wish I could somehow see the game you guys get. The one I watched continued the mediocre play calling, in which the only difference was that we threw on first down early, which (as some of us have suggested every game) kept the defense from keying on first down run up the middle. The second half, we reverted to throwing away first down with constant inside runs, which were easily diagnosed by Kentucky's defense. (In fact, the first three drives of the second half began with runs for -2 yards.)

He's good, and as young as he is thats an even better sign.
But nobody you wouldn't trade him for?

I can think of two better OCs off the top of my head who were both former SEC coaches who left in bad ways who are still light years ahead of him. Nothing against him at all, but lets be realistic.

Did a quick Google search not more than 10 seconds. Tyson Helton's salary is $1.2 million . That is still a lot of money, but it's a far cry from the 2 million that you quoted, and it is in line for coordinators these days.

Swain said this morning that if the season ended in October he wouldn't have expected him to be around anymore, BUT had improved. He also tip toed around a situation he said he has known about for weeks, but the basic jist was Lane Kiffen was being talked about for OC but sounds like Fulmer may have shut that idea down. Swain was trying to explain it without giving away to much information. But that was my take on what he said.

I would not mind at all seeing Lane as the OC. He is an offensive mastermind. When he took our HC job he was young and dumb at the time and made many mistakes. But if Saban thought there was no issue to hire him I think he has changed as a person. I think Fulmer is just a little sore at him for taking his job. Helton has improved but he is no Lane Kiffen when it comes to calling plays.

VN Store

Back