Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

I'm pretty sure the unis can be mixed and matched, so all orange is a possibility. Also, the vast majority of the mockups that were out prior to July 1 looked like absolute garbage, IMO.

We've worn all orange both of CBJ's first 2 seasons, and he's the only coach since Majors to do it in consecutive seasons, so I think it's safe to say he's likes the look.

Question to DP, and you may have answered this but I never saw it if you did, but was the Smokey Gray jersey floating around last year really what Adidas gave us (with the checkerboard shoulders)? If yes, did the team just refuse to wear it, and why did they change it from the 2013 version?

Question to DP, and you may have answered this but I never saw it if you did, but was the Smokey Gray jersey floating around last year really what Adidas gave us (with the checkerboard shoulders)? If yes, did the team just refuse to wear it, and why did they change it from the 2013 version?

I have answered it several times, but I'm happy to do so again.

The jersey you saw in stores with the checkerboard sleeves was one of the concepts that Adidas presented to Tennessee for their alternate jersey last season. Tennessee selected a different design, but because of a miscommunication, the incorrect version was made for retail. The version that Tennessee approved was the 2013 jersey with a slight modification. It was not worn because the schedule did not work out for a game to wear it. It was available to wear.

As for why it would change each year, it is simple. The alternate jersey is not about only recruiting, it's also about creating a buzz at retail. They could sell more of them with a different design each year.

Reactions: 1 person

The jersey you saw in stores with the checkerboard sleeves was one of the concepts that Adidas presented to Tennessee for their alternate jersey last season. Tennessee selected a different design, but because of a miscommunication, the incorrect version was made for retail. The version that Tennessee approved was the 2013 jersey with a slight modification. It was not worn because the schedule did not work out for a game to wear it. It was available to wear.

As for why it would change each year, it is simple. The alternate jersey is not about only recruiting, it's also about creating a buzz at retail. They could sell more of them with a different design each year.

It would have been with the white helmet, though, right? I feel like you've established that part as well, but can't remember

DP

Was there any consideration to putting a white outline around the orange on the gray uniforms and helmets? I think Adidas did a much better job of making the orange stand out with their version of the gray.

Reactions: 2 people
DP

Was there any consideration to putting a white outline around the orange on the gray uniforms and helmets? I think Adidas did a much better job of making the orange stand out with their version of the gray.

Nike prefers to keep a look reasonably consistent, even with alternates. Since the orange and white jerseys have 1-color numbers, the gray does as well.

I agree with you that a white outline would make the numbers look much better.

DP, I'm not going to ask you anything, I just won't feel a true member of this board until I start a post with "DP". And thanks for all the info :)

Haha, Charger, you are a good dude.:hi:

You can tell where we are at in the offseason can't you? Far removed from last season's exciting news and not quite close enough to the seasons. I'm checking out any post made in the football forum lol...

No solid orange? Also think the orange jersey would look better with white neck. Hate the black shoulders on the grays. If they wanted that black/antracit or whatever they call it, in the color pattern, maybe just outline the numbers with it. Disappointed with the decision to go with those over all the other awesome designs we've seen mocked up.

Rant over

Without it they look like a West Virginia uniform. I'm not super crazy about it but it makes it stand out more.

attachment.php

"Swoosh" Backwards?

The offseason is strong in this thread. We just spent two pages talking about which way the Nike swoosh goes. Football can't get here soon enough.

P.S I like the shoes

Thanks. You probably answered this part too, but when you say "slight modification", what exactly was different? Was it different enough that the average person would notice, or would it be one of those changes where you'd have to point it out?

Thanks. You probably answered this part too, but when you say "slight modification", what exactly was different? Was it different enough that the average person would notice, or would it be one of those changes where you'd have to point it out?

Reflective/chrome orange numbers like the ones UCLA wore on their gray uniforms last year. Adidas wanted to pair them with a chrome orange helmet decal as well, but I'm not sure we would have done that.

Nike prefers to keep a look reasonably consistent, even with alternates. Since the orange and white jerseys have 1-color numbers, the gray does as well.

I agree with you that a white outline would make the numbers look much better.

You say Nike wanted to keep looks cosistent. Why did we go with the two tone gray jerseys? Was this Nikes doing or was this something the school wanted to do?

You say Nike wanted to keep looks cosistent. Why did we go with the two tone gray jerseys? Was this Nikes doing or was this something the school wanted to do?

It's all apart of the fading into the smoky mountains on the helmet. I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere. If not I came up with it somehow

To me, without it they look very plain. The darker shoulder park makes it stand out more and keeps it from looking like some WV knockoff.

VN Store

Back