Updates: Is Rick Barnes actually recruiting/working?

You have to be kidding me. Inability to recruit? Seriously? That is probably his greatest strength. He has recruited and coached no less than 15 players who have playedin the NBA. Texas didn't "recruit itself" before Barnes got there, so I'm not sure where you get that idea from. Texas has 32 NCAA appearances and Barnes is responsible for half of them. From 1939-1998 (60 years), Texas had 16 appearances in the NCAA tournament. That recruited itself???

Or perhaps, Barnes going to 16 NCAA tournaments in 17 years at a "football school" with little basketball tradition or history to speak of prior to his arrival, created an environment that now fosters the ability to "recruit itself".

Is he trying to recruit? I'll assume that is a rhetorical question.

Hey Chris, you're on a roll today. Look at all 'dem likes! You go boy!:thumbsup:

giphy.gif

OP, didn't you hear that CRB was our new FB Defensive Coordinator? He doesn't have time to recruit or focus on b-ball...

Reactions: 1 person
Give Barnes a break. He had to coach the defense during the Orange White Spring game. He was working on defensive schemes. I am fairly confident he has an eye on BB recruits, just in case.

He's been on the job for weeks now. Weeks. It's nearly May and very late in the game. Had some visitors, heard some rumors transfers and what not.

But, is he actively trying to or actually going to sign any players for this upcoming season?

One knock on Barnes was his inability to recruit at a high level. Texas recruits itself. Tennessee doesn't. It's just true....

Great timing ....lulz!

@ALLVOLNEWS: BREAKING: 4* PG Lamonte Turner has committed to the University of Tennessee!! Great start for Rick Barnes and staff! #Vols

Very difficult for me not to disparage you further with a derogatory name or two, but I shall resist. Haha.

Reactions: 2 people
I like that Barnes is smart enough to use football as a recruiting tool for scheduling visits. Show the kids whatever the school has to offer outside of bball and show them the crazy passion of vol fans in one of the best scenery in the nation. It's a disservice to yourself not to use such a card in your recruiting regardless of sport. That's a big deal to be able to attend those games when you aren't playing your own sport.
He did it at Texas and will do so here. Utilize the other athletics to get guys to play for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He's been on the job for weeks now. Weeks. It's nearly May and very late in the game. Had some visitors, heard some rumors transfers and what not.

But, is he actively trying to or actually going to sign any players for this upcoming season?

One knock on Barnes was his inability to recruit at a high level. Texas recruits itself. Tennessee doesn't. It's just true....

I guess at this point that we need to get CRB to check in with you on a regular basis concerning his progress on recruiting.

It's good to know that even in the off-season that some fans don't have an off-season at creating ignorant threads.

Last edited:
I have seen Barnes a bunch at the Tap Room on the Strip. He has not shaved in days, he is doing his laundry next door and then sitting in the Tap Room drinking Schlitz and watching the Cubs play. Harry Carey sure is good, and I like watching Leon Durham play. The Tap Room has a new Mata Hari pinball game as well as Centipede....

Smh

They had an old drop table in there - Mystic Gate? - that I wasted a fortune on. Larry always got on us about tilting that sob.

Two dollar pitchers and Bob Seger on the jukebox. Barnes could do worse...heh

Thanks for the silly laugh.

You, sir, are quite daft...

VN Store

Back