Upon further review

Julian Battle dropped an easy int. in the 4th and he possible could've scored. Instead, LSU converts on the next play and goes on to score the game sealing TD....but the party at Tom Black Track!!!!!

Reactions: PowerT83
Agree on watching a replay of that game, never in my lifetime. Because of what was at stake if we won and we had the better team, it still stands as the worst loss in UT FB history. Vols did everything possible to give that game away and still almost won it in spite of themselves. Not to be able to adjust to the option run in 2nd half was inexcusable for Chavis.

The gaffney “no catch” is still one of the most upsetting calls ever. There’s no way, after rewatching it 100 times, that any honest person could call that a catch.

Hubert, Vandy grad that he is, called it a catch, and at the time it was all that mattered.

The gaffney “no catch” is still one of the most upsetting calls ever. There’s no way, after rewatching it 100 times, that any honest person could call that a catch.
It was an ex Vandy player that called it a catch and we all know Vandy players did not know what a touchdown looked like back then.

I'm watching UT vs LSU 2001 SEC title

2nd viewing, much more sober and not stunting them whores like in 2001.

I lot of blame goes to lack of adjustment

3rd and Chavis

The players drop 3 easy Ints in the first half. Any one of those go our way, adjusting to Mauck might not have been a thing. It would have changed everything.

Just some random musings here as the world burns.

Go Vols
Bama Sucks

Saw it was coming on and immediately went to PBS..

I walked out of there after the game and told the guys I was with....We just saw the last of UT football as we've know it for the foreseeable future. I said it because I was pi$$ed as all heck...But damn it turned out to be true.

Have not seen the game/replay since and won't.

After watching (as I have stated before) I was talking to my oldest son telling him that that game set back our program 10 years. In hind sight, I was wrong, it was the start of the "long fall" we seem to just be coming out of.

Well, during the season no one would have thought our '98 team would win it all. Tee was no Peyton, so how could we win it all?

Same with JG. Who knows, maybe a lot of luck like we had in '98 with Ark. and Fla. will happen and we go 10-1.

Our current team has loads of talent. We could break out this year if we play.

Think about it guys we would’ve had two more SEC titles in 2001 and 2007 if we there wasn’t a championship game and one in 1993 as well I wish we would get rid of the divisions and the SEC title game

We had a 7-1 SEC record LSU had a 5-3 record and had already lost to us back in September. I think that was the last major upset in the SEC title game our loss knocked the SEC out of alot money that year.

Haven’t watched it since it was played. Fuzzy memory says we missed opportunities to put the game away in the first half then made zero adjustments to their halftime adjustments.

There may have been some emotional hangover from the FL win the week before. Combined with memory of the thrashing we gave LSU earlier that season. Guys and coaches were over confident.

IIRC, we knocked Labrandon Toefield out of the game and Rohan Davey. The second half was probably the worst I have seen given how big the game was and the absurd amount of talent UT had on the roster. That game was the beginning of Fulmer’s end IMO.

I flipped on that game and watched the replay until I figured out which game it was. I can't stand to see the Vols lose in live games, much less replays.

Sometimes the better team loses, and that's what happened in this case.

Been looking into past Vol stuff, as a 26 year old I really wasn't aware much until 2004. When we beat Florida. I remember that and the Texas A&M cotton bowl. Saw the end of the Fulmer era, so I at least remember what it was like to be ranked all the time and be relevant.

I've watched that game recently and other 2001 games. I see a lot of shade thrown at Chavis, but, how do you struggle to score against any college defense with Kelley Washington, Donte Stallworth, Travis Stephens, and Jason Witten? Did Clausen actually suck? I mean he didn't seem THAT bad. Made great throws in that game. Regardless, we had all the talent in the world and any OC worth his salt would have had that team easily undefeated. I'm actually wondering how you guys were that confident going into this game. The team seemed to be really inconsistent and struggled with lesser teams very often.

Last edited:
Agree on watching a replay of that game, never in my lifetime. Because of what was at stake if we won and we had the better team, it still stands as the worst loss in UT FB history. Vols did everything possible to give that game away and still almost won it in spite of themselves. Not to be able to adjust to the option run in 2nd half was inexcusable for Chavis.
ikr... Everytime they converted "ANOTHER 1ST DOWN" i wanted to break the TV screen. It just felt so fluckish to me. I almost started to believe that the fix was in.

That one in the second half...I think it was JJ Mclesky? It was a pick 6 game ender..if he held on to it...of course some of us superstitious ones say the cheap hit on the LSU QB started our curse..

Hey, that's not a superstition. That's a damn scientific fact.

Had an LSU fan that was with our group at that game. Friend of my old GM of Vol Network station I worked at. Had to be close to 300 pounds. Was wearing overalls and that clown hat they wear. Dude came prepared for all of us. Gave us each 12 mini Jacks (5 packets wrapped for a total of 100) and he also stashed an entire fifth in those overalls too. How he got through security I will never know. By the 4th quarter the minis were lined up in front of us and our frontal lobes were as anesthetized as Chavis's second half game plan. However I still remember what a complete dumpster fire that the lack of defensive adjustments caused.... This game, the 1990 Bama game and recent '15, '17 Florida last minute losses were the worst I have seen in person. However I put 2001 LSU at the top. The week before witnessing Coach Shiny Pants lose his last game in the Swamp was the most enjoyable and one week later I witnessed the most gut wrenching depressing loss. Unreal roller coaster.

And to this day..Never watched a recording of the 2001 Championship game.

Was there. I could tell from the pregame energy we had already lost the game a full 2 hours before kickoff. We were there to protect. They were there to win

Sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug, we were the bug that night. I thought we had it in the bag with there QB out.

That was the first game I recall the grimacing, passive, hand clapping Fulmer watching a game burn down. Saw that a lot more in the years to follow.

The 1990s Fulmer would have been in Chavis' &^% the whole second half firing him up and getting them on track. By 2001, Fulmer was satisfied, and he felt invulnerable.

The next few years were worse.

Dropped 3 easy pics. 2007 sec title Brent Vinson dropped two that would have been huge
LSU 06 Early Doucet debacle

We owe them a heartbreak or two

We gave them one post-Katrina. We were the designated whipping boy for their big Death Valley debut. Then we tanked the rest of that season for no damned reason at all.

Reactions: PowerT83

VN Store

Back