Upon further review

We gave them one post-Katrina. We were the designated whipping boy for their big Death Valley debut. Then we tanked the rest of that season for no damned reason at all.

I don't know but I think a Marie DaVoe type voodoo queen was pissed and put us under a 15 year curse

Will forever be the most disappointing game in my lifetime. National Championship appearance on the line and we blew it. That same team that absolutely annihilated Michigan in the bowl game was nowhere to be found in the SEC Championship. Had the chance to be national champions 2 out of 4 years. No telling where our program would have gone after that. We had the chance to become a dynasty if we break through and we let it get away. Why even bring up that awful memory? You’re just going to make everyone drink their sorrows away.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
The gaffney “no catch” is still one of the most upsetting calls ever. There’s no way, after rewatching it 100 times, that any honest person could call that a catch.
At no point could you pause the tape and it would show him catching that pass. He never had the ball. Never controlled it. Never possessed it. Completely terrible call.

I wish they would play the UK game from 07 and Cal from 06 I’d like to see that 1 for the first time

I wish they would play the UK game from 07 and Cal from 06 I’d like to see that 1 for the first time
ha! I know what ya mean T83. Sometime right around the time things really started hitting the skidz I bought some Ski coveralls @ goodwill for $6 which is one of the best investments I have ever made . Fact of the matter is I wore them to the Vandy game last November and they still never fail to keep me warm and dry. Another fact of the matter is that back before security went crazy with the pat downs those coveralls when worn with Cowboy boots allow for a 6pk of 16oz. Beers & a pint of Dickel. I was drinking beer in Neyland waaaaay before it became an actual thing. YouTube has allowed me to watch several games that I must have been experiencing an out of body experience while originally attending because if I didn’t know any better I would swear that I was watching them for the 1st time !! Specifically any November game from 2004- 2014 come to mind. These days I am much more responsible .

Reactions: PowerT83
Based on faded memory, watched in mixed company of some LSU fans, who were giddy in the 2nd half, like they just won the Powerball, one claimed he didn't know who Matt Mauck was, and another was going to name his expected newborn son "Mauck", yuch, yuck. I watched with resignation in the 2nd half as we were giving the game away on a silver platter, remember we got our ass beat on the LOS in the 2nd half when it seems Mauck converted every 3rd down on a QB draw, and tied the game on a 4th and goal. But it seems like the offense shared some of the blame too-- as I remember a key play where we dropped a key 3rd down conversion over the middle before LSU made the game winning drive? Haven't watched it again either, too painful, why go through the agony? That started Saban's rise, and was the first chip off of Fulmer's block of a great run, and was another sign of how we missed Cutcliff (remember Sanders lost the '99 Ark game with bad calls in the RZ that would have put us in the title game too). Then one thing after another precipitates Fulmer's fall, losing the Simms and Leak recruiting battles, losing a rigged Auburn SEC title game in '07 on the phantom holding call on a TD run, and then the final death-knell, losing to Wyoming in '08.

Last edited:
we created Saban that day, and have been paying the price ever since. This was his first SEC championship (in an upset with a 3 loss team). Having that championship helped him launch his recruiting and end up with a national title a few years later (2003 season). The rest is history. If TN had won that game, Saban may never have won a title at LSU, never would have ended up at bama, Bama may have never been turned around from the dumpster fire it was in the mid 2000's, etc. A lot of trends changed that day.

Last edited:
That ended the Peyton recruits, those that signed thinking they’d play with him at least their freshman year. The program hasn’t been the same.

The gaffney “no catch” is still one of the most upsetting calls ever. There’s no way, after rewatching it 100 times, that any honest person could call that a catch.

Al Matthews was never honest.

we created Saban that day, and have been paying the price ever since. This was his first SEC championship (in an upset with a 3 loss team). Having that championship helped him launch his recruiting and end up with a national title a few years later (2003 season). The rest is history. If TN had won that game, Saban may never have won a title at LSU, never would have ended up at bama, Bama may have never been turned around from the dumpster fire it was in the mid 2000's, etc. A lot of trends changed that day.
There is no bigger butterfly effect than that of a college football coaching carousel. Hell I can make an argument that Drew Brees going to the Saints instead of Nick Saban’s Miami Dolphins was the single biggest Free Agent signing ever, in terms of its lasting effect on the game of Football.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol

VN Store

Back