USA Today: What to like about No. 18 Tennessee

Dying.

I would agree with that. Would like to see a 10 win season, but 9 wins including a W in FL and a W in Neyland against GA would be pretty nice. That said, we'll all fall apart on VN when we see a 10-11 win season missed with a loss to Vandy or SC. I just hope we can find some consistency. I can't help but think that the ship might have sailed with that 2015 season. We were so close in so many games, but couldn't pull it out. I just want to see our Vols return to a consistent threat year in and year out. Whether thats CBJ as HBC or somebody else.

To be honest, even with a 10 win season I don't think the Vols would/will be a threat to the rest of the SEC as long as CBJ is here. His propensity to 'play it safe' and make poor game-day decisions eliminates any psychological effect having lost to us the previous season might create, regardless of our returning starters.

Reactions: 1 person
To be honest, even with a 10 win season I don't think the Vols would/will be a threat to the rest of the SEC as long as CBJ is here. His propensity to 'play it safe' and make poor game-day decisions eliminates any psychological effect having lost to us the previous season might create, regardless of our returning starters.

As much as I'd like to disagree with this, I can't.

Butch isn't going to be able to shake that reputation until he stops losing games by 1) blowing big leads like in 2015 or 2) having inexcusable losses like in 2016.

He had a chance to shake that reputation last year with the wins over Florida and Georgia (even though the Georgia win was a total fluke), but he blew it with the South Carolina and Vandy losses. Nobody is afraid of him or thinks "Man, I really don't want to play Tennessee." Of course, you can say that about a lot of SEC coaches other than Saban.

CBJ needs to go 9-3 and beat South Carolina and keep the streaks going over Florida and Georgia to warrant a 6th year at UT.

(On the fllip side, if we're playing this game, what if UT had remained healthy?)

tenor.gif

3. "....It's no secret that another underwhelming season in 2017 would spell the end for Jones and his coaching staff, with the writing on the wall potentially as early as the end of September, ........with the impetus needed to avoid the series of self-inflicted that have come to define the Jones era ....."

This entire quote is staggering - especially the last part. This self-inflicted habit has got to change.

What's staggering is that there are people in denial of this fact

What if we beat Bama, Florida, Georgia and LSU, but lost 4 other games?

How bad would CBJ have to be as a coach to beat Nick Saban, and lose to Will Muschamp, Derek Mason, Mark Stoops, and Barry Odom in the same year?

Unless we lost 75% of the team to injury during the Alabama game, I just don't see it happening.

Anything less than 9-3 should spell the end for Butch regardless of who the 4 would be.

Then what coach will come to UT when we fire people for 8 wins..

We can not afford to do that right now..coaches already know how demanding vol fans are...ruthless

Just be happy Dooley is gone...

Reactions: 4 people
I have a weird feeling about this next season..something stupid will happen, but we will finish the year very strong...

For example, we lose first game...and then win out..

A 10 win season with 2 losses is a very good season that would have Vols in the top 10 at the end of the regular season unless the 2 losses are the last two games of the season.

Sounds like you will only be satisfied with a coaching change. You would probably say a 15 win season is not a good one.

Reactions: 2 people

We can not afford to do that right now..coaches already know how demanding vol fans are...ruthless

Agree - who would want to come here if a coach is fired after three seasons like that. And if they do, the contract is going to be such that they cannot get fired without a major buyout that will make the buyout that CBJ has look like pennies.

How bad would CBJ have to be as a coach to beat Nick Saban, and lose to Will Muschamp, Derek Mason, Mark Stoops, and Barry Odom in the same year?

Unless we lost 75% of the team to injury during the Alabama game, I just don't see it happening.

Seriously ... Saban lost to Freeze who lost to Mason ... your point?

Reactions: 3 people
A 10 win season with 2 losses is a very good season that would have Vols in the top 10 at the end of the regular season unless the 2 losses are the last two games of the season.

Sounds like you will only be satisfied with a coaching change. You would probably say a 15 win season is not a good one.

Did you even read the post, or did you just see the number 10 and go straight to full on wharrgarbl mode?

Nowhere did I say anything about whether or not a 10-win season was good or bad. I said that even a 10-win season by UT wouldn't inspire any fear in our opponents.

Cause being better than Derek Dooley = successful as a coach at UT?

Reactions: 4 people
Butch will need at least 8 wins to keep his job imo. It's year 5 and with his recruiting starting to slip patience is rightfully thin. 8 wins will earn him one more season to make it to Atlanta.

Guys... guys... guys... With a $10,000,000 buyout if he gets fired, Jones is here at least another year regardless of this seasons outcome!

Thanks to our retiring AD!

If we win 10 games in the regular season, then chances are he's made some pretty good decisions along the way, and at some point had to do something to make the players make a play… Somewhere.

Now, that really hasn't happened yet, at least to the point Of getting us to a championship game. So it's still in the arena of what if...

Alot of you guys are talking like this is the 90's again and Bama is swapped where Florida was and we should be competing with them. The SEC is totally different now and we are not a historical juggernaut nor do we have the tradition of Bama, Ohio St, Michigan, Notre Dame etc.

Alot of you guys are talking like this is the 90's again and Bama is swapped where Florida was and we should be competing with them. The SEC is totally different now and we are not a historical juggernaut nor do we have the tradition of Bama, Ohio St, Michigan, Notre Dame etc.

I have to say your wrong, Tennessee has as much tradition as Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan if you look at all time win records through out the years....
Go Vols

Reactions: 6 people

Not that any of what you said is true, but if it were...should we just shutter the football program and try to become a 'basketball school'?

VN Store

Back