UT football commits NCAA violation

Same. Then I see it's a complete non-issue, and the OP's statement that violations are "already happening..." They always happen. Secondary and third tier violations happen all of the time, everywhere and are generally self-reported with no penalty. This "news" isn't news at all.
I thought the same thing when I read "already happening", as if we expected it from the new AD and HC but just not so soon. I disagree with the OP's choice of wording. This implies some bad pattern of behavior, which is not justified by this minor infraction or past history.

Most schools self report's a dozen or so violations a year. Its usually stuff that doesn't get you in any real trouble, but shows the NCAA that you are conscientious . it establishes a pattern of good behavior that hopefully helps you out if you get hit with the big stuff.

Knox News

Seems fairly minor, but still, violations already occuring.

200.gif

Yes, really.

It's just like dropping (simple/catchable) passes in practice >> it may seem like a minor thing now, but better to go ahead and get this revealed, acknowledged and fixed now (before we get back into the real game / winning championships and such).

Knox News

Seems fairly minor, but still, violations already occuring.
Oh my god... Only one minor violation is described against the football team here which resulted from donating tickets to a school charity auction and had nothing to do with Pruitt. All this shows is that our compliance department is still very thorough at self reporting anything and everything which could be construed as a violation - no matter how minor or unintentional. 8 months in to Kiffin's tenure, the NCAA was setting up shop off Cumberland.

This was not thread worthy.

As a former college athlete, I actually do think that the NCAA serves a purpose. Violations like this (it is a violation) are meant to be handled exactly like this, self reported, with no action taken, because there is no reason for the NCAA to take action. However, you can not leave it to the people who are being regulated to determine what needs action taken and what doesn’t.

While this one is obvious that no action needs to be taken, you basically report everything so that the line of where action needs to be taken can be determined by the NCAA.

NCAA rules are a complete pain, many are ridiculous, but nearly all came from actual violations where an advantage was gained. For instance, if this had been Bama giving away season tickets to a raffle, where coincidentally a recruits sick family member was the beneficiary of the raffle proceeds.....obviously something that should be a bit more scrutinized, and it’s literally the same action (with obviously different motivation)

It’s a pain, but necessary. This was handled correctly by both the university for reporting it, and the NCAA for essentially saying “no big deal” and probably sending a letter of explanation of the rule and it’s reasons to be distributed to any staff that had a hand in it.

The media even reporting it is maybe the only weird thing here.

This just in: UT gets the death penalty over popcorn. In other news, Urban Meyer will officially be coaching OSU this season.

Non issue!....notice "self reported" most if not all schools "self report" minor violations.

The fact that the NCAA has rules that make it a violation to donate tickets to charity or give a bottle of water to a recruit tells you all you need to know about the NCAA

Knoxville Catholic is not a charity. They are a for profit institute, just like any other private school. They charge a substantial amount of money for tuition. There are plenty of items they can raise money for this project other than game tickets. If Alabama donated tickets to Hoover High, you would call that unfair. Instead of being POed at the NCAA for a legit rule, I am POed at a UT staffer for not knowing they can't do this.

Had a recruits mom told me they can give a kid a bagel, but not cream cheese. How silly

Knoxville Catholic is not a charity. They are a for profit institute, just like any other private school. They charge a substantial amount of money for tuition. There are plenty of items they can raise money for this project other than game tickets. If Alabama donated tickets to Hoover High, you would call that unfair. Instead of being POed at the NCAA for a legit rule, I am POed at a UT staffer for not knowing they can't do this.
Well, they are listed as a 501 (c) (3); so that is incorrect information.

It's a high school.and I really couldn't care less if Alabama or anybody else donates their tickets to them.

Reactions: hexnut
Donating tickets to a local school fundraiser is a violation? Good lord.

VN Store

Back