'25 VA CB Shamari Earls (uscjr commit)

Willie Martinez has the worst recruiting among his peers. Year 4 and he’s yet to consistently field 4 stars. At first it was him and Ellarbee, now Elarbee has left him in the dust. We need a recruiter at DB while we are fortunate enough to have Coach Garner

I do find it odd that AP said he wasnt a take when he is ranked .9400 on 247, while the other cb’s dont clear .8700, and he has more scholarships than the other db’s committed too, which is why I think and hope that there maybe some other DB’s we are in with that we prefer over him

Willie Martinez has the worst recruiting among his peers. Year 4 and he’s yet to consistently field 4 stars. At first it was him and Ellarbee, now Elarbee has left him in the dust. We need a recruiter at DB while we are fortunate enough to have Coach Garner

I lost brain cells reading this post

I haven't looked any deeper than stars this cycle. certainly his recruiting is suspect, average. i would point to body of work. this year will be big for him

I do find it odd that AP said he wasnt a take when he is ranked .9400 on 247, while the other cb’s dont clear .8700, and he has more scholarships than the other db’s committed too, which is why I think and hope that there maybe some other DB’s we are in with that we prefer over him
You serious? The staff doesn’t go off rankings from “experts” and the fact he committed to USCe should tell you everything…

You serious? The staff doesn’t go off rankings from “experts” and the fact he committed to USCe should tell you everything…
I go more off offers than anything, Earls has offers from bama, uga and osu. With the db’s we have committed, they all only have offers from mid-tier p5 schools at best, except redmond does have an osu offer too.

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
I will never understand why you take up for Martinez so much. What do you see that the vast majority of us don’t?

It's his belief that by not criticizing coaches, he's a better fan than everyone else. There's a few other Regular RF posters who think that. One of them who has me on ignore supported Butch Jones almost up to the moment he was fired.

There's nothing on the field, present and past, that should make anyone really believe WM is a great coach. He's the weakest link.

Not all offers are committable like ours in this case…
Seems like we go through this every year.

1. The recruiting services are not experts and don’t have time to evaluate everyone well especially if they don’t go to camp. The composite gives you the best idea of talent….but doesn’t evaluate determination.

2. Offers is helpful, but coaching staffs can’t completely evaluate everyone. Sometimes schools offer players because others are but that doesn’t mean they are willing to commit to that offer until they have evaluated further. Sometimes a school finds someone other schools have not noticed yet.

Recruiting is not an exact science. 3* sometimes do better than 5*. The best you can do is look at overall class rankings by several services. Then you have to look at how many players are in each class. Plus count individuals that transfer in and out.

So basically look at the roster the week before the first game.

Recruiting has changed!

I go more off offers than anything, Earls has offers from bama, uga and osu. With the db’s we have committed, they all only have offers from mid-tier p5 schools at best, except redmond does have an osu offer too.
And how to you determine fully commitable offers? You do realize that those sites list player offers based on who the player tells them has offered. And you also realize that tons of players are told by a coach that they have an offer that is in reality tentative and that staff might not actually accept a commitment from that player.

I will never understand why you take up for Martinez so much. What do you see that the vast majority of us don’t?

You can be ambivalent or even dislike Martinez and not like the post. Especially given that our primary recruiting is done by area and not by position. That being said, if we’re serious about being a Top 5 team we should have a top 10 DB coach at the least and Martinez ain’t it.

Reactions: Stacmot
And how to you determine fully commitable offers? You do realize that those sites list player offers based on who the player tells them has offered. And you also realize that tons of players are told by a coach that they have an offer that is in reality tentative and that staff might not actually accept a commitment from that player.
Ok since there is no real way of knowing if offers are commitable or not, how do you go about evaluating offer lists? Just assume all offer lists are suspect?

Ok since there is no real way of knowing if offers are commitable or not, how do you go about evaluating offer lists? Just assume all offer lists are suspect?
Basically, and if they commit to a school like USCe over supposed offers from UGA or bama then one can deduce that pretty easily

It's his belief that by not criticizing coaches, he's a better fan than everyone else. There's a few other Regular RF posters who think that. One of them who has me on ignore supported Butch Jones almost up to the moment he was fired.

There's nothing on the field, present and past, that should make anyone really believe WM is a great coach. He's the weakest link.
To be a successful position coach at this level you have to at least be able to do one of two things IMO. You have to either be able to recruit top tier talent on a yearly basis and stockpile talent or you have to be great at developing talent. The superior coaches can do both. WM can do neither one. It was the exact same problem with his position group the last time he was here. I can’t wait til he’s gone!

VN Store

Back