Vols practice thread Friday 12/13

I know of several qbs that don’t practice well with no defense because it isn’t game like. They have no gage on where to “place” the ball. So, They’ll be off with routes in air and pinpoint vs 11-11. Then there are those that shine with no defender. In my experience, the qb that throws the best vs routes on air normally doesn’t translate well to game day. I agree JG doesn’t put up many points but I do think it’s unfair to expect him to be something he’s never been. Maurer and JG are polar opposites. JG needs a defense to win because he’s conservative. Where Maurer will make mistakes trying to blow you out.

I agree with you. I also noticed what okl coach said about Hurts. He said when he came there he was afraid to make some throws, afraid he would make a mistake. Coach said, I want you to score points, if you think you have any chance to make a play throw it. He doesn't want his qb afraid they will make a mistake and play conservative. Yes Maurer will throw more int than jg, but with game expierience imo he will allow us to put up many more points that will more than offset conservative play offensively.

According to his stats he’s the most accurate of all our qbs and even among the top of the SEC.
His completion % is below 60 and good for 7th best in the SEC. So if your concept of being among the top means being above the worst 5 but below the best 6 then, yeah, hes amazing..

According to his stats he’s the most accurate of all our qbs and even among the top of the SEC.

His stats in scoring points is really the most important stat. And he is not good at all in that stat. In todays football to beat the good teams you have to score a lot of points. Things have changed over the recent years. You cannot win conference championships with conservative offenseive play. Ga a perfect example of this, good defense, poor passing game, good running game, but when you are one dimentialal it can be slowed down enough for the other team to win. Look at the top four teams this year, all high powered offense and really not that good on defense with the exception of clemson. But they can still put up points though. I am for Lsu, but I am picking Clemson to win because they do have a good offense and imo a better defense than the other 3. I think whoever wins will put up around 35 to 40 points in order to win.

I agree with you. I also noticed what okl coach said about Hurts. He said when he came there he was afraid to make some throws, afraid he would make a mistake. Coach said, I want you to score points, if you think you have any chance to make a play throw it. He doesn't want his qb afraid they will make a mistake and play conservative. Yes Maurer will throw more int than jg, but with game expierience imo he will allow us to put up many more points that will more than offset conservative play offensively.
I’ve always weighed the facts in this case. You have a conservative qb, and a gunslinger. At that point it all comes down to your defense to choose your qb for you. Not you. A bad defense takes every turn over and turns it into points. Therefore you go with said conservative qb to limit those points. Where a good defense will only allow 10 points off of 3 tos. Now it’s a toss up. A really good defense will allow 3-7 points on 3 tos. So now you have a gunslinger lean. A great defense and you’re blowing everyone out despite tos anyway so you’re definitely going to the gunslinger. That’s always been my philosophy and it’s yet to let me down.

His completion % is below 60 and good for 7th best in the SEC. So if your concept of being among the top means being above the worst 5 but below the best 6 then, yeah, hes amazing..
Truthfully I have no idea. Stats don’t matter to me more than my own eyes. I know what I seen in Maurer. And It’s the same thing I’ve been telling everyone all along before he ever seen the field. He’ll make mistakes but he’ll score points as well. He’s the hardest to defend and given time he’ll be one of the best in college football. Those that want him gone or far down the depth chart will eat crow at some point when he gets the opportunity he deserves. Injury is the ONLY reason they’re not sitting down to a plate right now.

His stats in scoring points is really the most important stat. And he is not good at all in that stat. In todays football to beat the good teams you have to score a lot of points. Things have changed over the recent years. You cannot win conference championships with conservative offenseive play. Ga a perfect example of this, good defense, poor passing game, good running game, but when you are one dimentialal it can be slowed down enough for the other team to win. Look at the top four teams this year, all high powered offense and really not that good on defense with the exception of clemson. But they can still put up points though. I am for Lsu, but I am picking Clemson to win because they do have a good offense and imo a better defense than the other 3. I think whoever wins will put up around 35 to 40 points in order to win.
If there’s one thing I think Pruitt needs to learn, it’s that. I agree. UT will never beat UF, UGA or Bama without taking chances. I personally believe the answer to beating those teams is Maurer. He’s already proved it. I don’t have nearly the confidence with JG, Hill, JTS or even a seasoned HB to beat those teams.

You’re not a “realist”. In fact you have a reputation of being just the opposite. You’re a stat junkie that cherry picks to fit your arguments. If you were a realist you would credit the kid with his rushing totals as well in your arguments or better yet you would’ve thrown stats out the window and seen with your OWN EYES that the kid is by far the most talented. Your bias shows in this comment alone. JTS does NOT have just as much experience. In fact it’s not even close. Hill is an unknown and not very impressive while at Maryland. Bailey is not only behind in terms of experience as a freshman but also in raw talent and upside. Regardless of how it shakes out Maurer isn’t the kind of qb you let go. Qbs like him make fools of those did.
Ok I'lll give him credit for rushing stats.
48yards on 2.2 ypc with two tds and a bunch of fumbles. whoop de damn do

Hill not very impressive? I agree.

But also

Hill 53.4% Maurer 47.2
Hill 11tds Maurer 2tds
Hill 4 ints Maurer 5ints
Hill 126 rating Maurer 103.6

Hill has been better and is more experienced.

JT has been here longer with a few less snaps. Pretty close in experience.

Bailey? Much more raw talent AND upside. hence the borderline Five star vs a Three star.

So in other words Hills stats aren’t much better vs the big 10 than Maurers we’re vs the best teams in the SEC as a true freshman. You lost that one.

BM has taken 4x the amount of snaps than JTS. Lost another one.

Different classes homeboy. I’ve told you this over and over. One class isn’t evaluated against another. Hell.... they aren’t even truly evaluated among themselves for that matter. So, please explain how Bailey has more upside AND raw talent if Maurer has the stronger arm, is more accurate from inside OR outside the pocket but has the ability to extend plays and fast enough to hurt an SEC defense. Seems to me Baileys only chance to beat out Maurer is mental and he’s a year behind. He’s an unknown. Simple as that.

Jarette runs like he's in molasses.

I just dont see those who think jg is so good..

There aren't many. So few, in fact, that Pruitt had to let someone else 'start' because so many fans were booing when they heard his name announced. That's a fact.

You get on my nerves with that bs..

Wondering when folks will realize he's a troll. Probably a florida or georgia fan. He ALWAYS, in EVERY discussion about ANYTHING, takes the side against common sense, against what most fans are thinking. He's just here to troll.

Stop man..... you’re making a fool of yourself.

He can't help it. It's what he is.

Yet most folks realize he is just a really. bad. quarterback.

I never guaranteed any losses..unless JG started..and he didnt for half the season.....

Heres to JG putting up a career norm 14 points against a D1 team!
Here's to Maurer completing 47% of his passes before JG comes in and digs us out of a 10-14 point hole.

Reactions: k-town_king
Here's to Maurer completing 47% of his passes before JG comes in and digs us out of a 10-14 point hole.
Thank baby Jesus it wasnt more than 14 points otherwise Tennessee is up you know whats creek since JG has literally NEVER thrown more than 2 TD's against any non FCS team. So lucky to have him and his offensive output!

Exactly. Good staffs in this day and time look for and exploit matchup problems. UGA was a great example. Great defense, good running game, mediocre passing game, so opposing staffs took advantage of that. You have to be solid in every phase of the game to win a NC these days.

You must be referring to the Kentucky game. Because in all the other games BM was 4 points to Alabama. And was actually up on Mississippi state

Reactions: 1vol8
Thank baby Jesus it wasnt more than 14 points otherwise Tennessee is up you know whats creek since JG has literally NEVER thrown more than 2 TD's against any non FCS team. So lucky to have him and his offensive output!

Yeah because throwing an INT in every SEC game other than UK and not completing half of your passes is SOOOO fantastic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191215-153827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-153827_Chrome.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 10
He has shown flashes but he isn't ready. JG is the best option. There was a point in time where a switch was probably needed. But now it's not.
I agree he may not seem ready. But I believe given the same leeway that JG was given that it would be a different story.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I agree he may not seem ready. But I believe given the same leeway that JG was given that it would be a different story.
As of right now, JG is better. I believe that's why he was given more leeway. He knows the run game checks better. He's more accurate and makes better decisions with the ball. Is he a world beater? No. Is he a serviceable QB who had a bad few games? Yes, but the whole team had a bad few games.

Reactions: k-town_king
As of right now, JG is better. I believe that's why he was given more leeway. He knows the run game checks better. He's more accurate and makes better decisions with the ball. Is he a world beater? No. Is he a serviceable QB who had a bad few games? Yes, but the whole team had a bad few games.
I think that his run game check is what gives him the edge. Other then the missouri game we had a 60 t0 40 run to pass diff. When JG is QB. When its some one else it closer to 50/50. So that tells me 1. He knows his run checks or 2. The coaches dont trust his arm enough to win games or make good throws...and he has had more then a few bad games...we lose vandy if not for gray...JG couldnt hit water during the rain storm till gray went off

Yeah because throwing an INT in every SEC game other than UK and not completing half of your passes is SOOOO fantastic
🤔. I guess you count the one vs Alabama because the stat sheet does? Never mind the fact that his play had us VERY MUCH in that game vs the #1 team in the country and he hadn’t even settled in yet? Never mind the ints you’re referring to being against the best defenses in the country as a freshman as well? And btw..... regardless of what KTown says..... his completion % also includes throw aways and drops. It includes being thrown into action vs UF without preparation. Wow......some of you expect WAY too much of a freshman.

If your comparing stats. Comapre both QBs vs top 25 teams and tell me who played better. And don't give excuses like k-town just straight cumulative top 25 stats for BM and JG. Then tell me who was better this season

🤔. I guess you count the one vs Alabama because the stat sheet does? Never mind the fact that his play had us VERY MUCH in that game vs the #1 team in the country and he hadn’t even settled in yet? Never mind the ints you’re referring to being against the best defenses in the country as a freshman as well? And btw..... regardless of what KTown says..... his completion % also includes throw aways and drops. It includes being thrown into action vs UF without preparation. Wow......some of you expect WAY too much of a freshman.
To be fair Hillinski from SC preformed like a RSJR QB from UT as a freshman...(blue font)

Didn't say it was. Saying JG isn't good. The math backs that up. And until UT can get a QB who can throw, read a defense, and move in the pocket, they will keep being mediocre.

Dont forget JG lost the starting job to Dormady and only took over because of his injury. How many games did JG go without putting points on the board then? And the next year?...

VN Store

Back