Vols vs Nebraska (Game Thread)

We already have had the worst early season crowds in over a decade. The post was in reference to the op referring to his apathy which seems to a real problem accross the board.

This 4-3 start isn't helping with that apathy and that was the point

5-2 wouldn't make it any better.

Last year wasn't exactly a fever pitch for excitement and it's hard to compare becuase we only had 1 home game before the exam break and that was 13k, which is barely bigger than the biggest crowd so far.

Factor in another coaching change and knowing it would be a worse team, I'm wondering why anyone is acting surprised.

I predicted about a game over .500. Figured TN would be a game or so better at this point, but didn't realize how much of a train wreck that the rest of the conference seems to be... so the barely over .500 prediction remains intact for me.

5-2 wouldn't make it any better.

Last year wasn't exactly a fever pitch for excitement and it's hard to compare becuase we only had 1 home game before the exam break and that was 13k, which is barely bigger than the biggest crowd so far.

Factor in another coaching change and knowing it would be a worse team, I'm wondering why anyone is acting surprised.

Most posters here predicted a better season than last year

Before the season I thought we very well may be 6-1 at this point and that would have started to build excitement.

The problem was with the opening game this year. Friday night crowd was well less than last years opening game which was a weekday night. It was a bad sign for sure when looking at fan interst

I don't want to say anything else negative about this team. Reading back over my posts I was getting close to TROLL status.

I'm settling this season for watching the young talent being brought along.
I also think the recruiting picture is much better than many realize.

Barnes gets a pass no matter what happens.

You're probably right. I'm letting the frustration get to me

Maybe if they've ever been told to not disrespect the refs, Barnes doesn't feel that he needs to explain himself. If he told them to do something and they don't listen to him then he might feel that he can't trust them and he might as well bench them. That's all just speculation though... maybe CRB is just giving the other guys a shot the see what they can do if given substantial minutes.

Barnes is a grizzled veteran heading for the Hall of Fame. Unless he's given up he's likely calculated every move and is measuring every reaction... even if it's not obvious.

Communication is KEY even for veterans. Hmm...calculated moves? That's interesting.

Communication is KEY even for veterans. Hmm...calculated moves? That's interesting.

If Jabari isn't understanding what message Barnes is sending by not playing him then he should go ask the man. The wrong attitude won't earn him any playing time. Being positive, team oriented, respectful and working hard will. I think that based on skill and smarts, Jabari McGhee will earn back playing time. He's still only a freshman and Barnes is giving the majority of all minutes to the junior and seniors.

Reactions: 2 people
If Jabari isn't understanding what message Barnes is sending by not playing him then he should go ask the man. The wrong attitude won't earn him any playing time. Being positive, team oriented, respectful and working hard will. I think that based on skill and smarts, Jabari McGhee will earn back playing time. He's still only a freshman and Barnes is giving the majority of all minutes to the junior and seniors.

How did you get the impression that he had the wrong attitude? They have not exchanged one I'll word. He is always positive, team oriented, respectful and a hard worker. No coach has ever said otherwise. But like any real bballer he wants to play. He's not crying over spilled milk. Lol He knows what he needs to do. He will do it and move forward. 👍🏽

How did you get the impression that he had the wrong attitude? They have not exchanged one I'll word. He is always positive, team oriented, respectful and a hard worker. No coach has ever said otherwise. But like any real bballer he wants to play. He's not crying over spilled milk. Lol He knows what he needs to do. He will do it and move forward. 👍🏽

I thought he was barking at a ref?

I don't think the incident in the GW game, with Jabari arguing the foul call, had anything to do with him not seeing time against Nebraska. My guess would be it's more about foul discipline than any kind of attitude problem. just my 2 cent

Sometimes if coaches tell a player the same thing over and over in practice isn't being applied during a game, the next course of action will be to take away minutes and hope it sinks in that way. also jmo

I don't think the incident in the GW game, with Jabari arguing the foul call, had anything to do with him not seeing time against Nebraska. My guess would be it's more about foul discipline than any kind of attitude problem. just my 2 cent

Probably so. I'm just throwing out possibilities. I didn't see JMc2 pop off to the refs. How long after that was he benched?

Apparently in CRB's press meet 'em up today he explained the reasons why a couple of the other post players are getting extended minutes.

Here's one you haven't considered.
Barnes has already determined that Jabari has earned significant minutes coming off the bench.
It was the last game before the 2 week lay off and Barnes is desperate to find a bench before the conference run.
He already knows what Jabari can bring.

Probably so. I'm just throwing out possibilities. I didn't see JMc2 pop off to the refs. How long after that was he benched?

Apparently in CRB's press meet 'em up today he explained the reasons why a couple of the other post players are getting extended minutes.

JMac had a coach afraid to whisper to a ref he made a bad call. :) I bet his freshman yr under Pearl, even with his limited minutes, he barked a time or two.

edit nm wrong JMc

Last edited:
Here's one you haven't considered.
Barnes has already determined that Jabari has earned significant minutes coming off the bench.
It was the last game before the 2 week lay off and Barnes is desperate to find a bench before the conference run.
He already knows what Jabari can bring.

I maybe didn't post that, but I did think that that was a possibility. CRB has big time match up problems in the paint and he could be using the pre-SEC season to see what the others can do if given an opportunity greater than a couple of minutes.

i maybe didn't post that, but i did think that that was a possibility. Crb has big time match up problems in the paint and he could be using the pre-sec season to see what the others can do if given an opportunity greater than a couple of minutes.

i👍🏽

Lol. Sometimes refs deserve a bark or two.

They always do. Cuonzo had a nice guy philosophy... he never had a technical foul in his career until last year at Cal.

In general I'd think that most coaches below the NBA level would want to handle ref relations themselves. JMO.

Hmm...maybe. It's all good. He needs to work on the fouling. Trust me, He knows that without a doubt.

He hasn't played since.

If it happened right after the foul then it's hard to tell if Barnes is sending a message for (1) fouling, (2) talking smack to a ref, (3) all of the above, or (4) something entirely different.

IMO JMc will be back. He adds to much instant energy to keep him out. Commuting all of those fouls though is a big issue (again... IMO).

I hope to see JMc2 back on the floor next week.

VN Store

Back