Vols vs Nebraska (Game Thread)

Coaches, as you and I both know, have various methods of communication available, but one is almost invariably heard....clearly....the bench. Some kids will pout, sulk and withdraw. Usually they depart at the end of the season and never really make an impact at any program. Others wake up and the benching feeds a fire that helps them grow and mature. Usually those kids go on to become a foundational type player. Should be interesting to see how it goes with this young man. The choice is his.

This is what I'm thinking too. Barnes is going to be in the Hall of Fame one day... he knows what he's doing. I doubt that McGhee has been getting less time as a punishment... I think it's more like a test to see what kind of response he gets. If McGhee responds negatively he'll have a hard time getting meaningful minutes. If McGhee keeps his head up, works very hard, keeps a positive team first attitude then he'll eventually be back playing important minutes. It's a long season and McGhee has 100 or more games left in his career. Barnes isn't a dummy and this isn't his first rodeo.

Reactions: 1 person
:yes:I would thing the most likely scenario for McGee not playing was his defense and fouls. Barnes is sending a message. Coach him up Auntie Dee. A kind pat on the back and a firm kick in the behind if he needs it. Lots of potential there.

:yes:I would thing the most likely scenario for McGee not playing was his defense and fouls. Barnes is sending a message. Coach him up Auntie Dee. A kind pat on the back and a firm kick in the behind if he needs it. Lots of potential there.

Someone told me they remembered the commentators saying something about Jabari mouthing off at the ref after that one foul in the GW game. Barnes immediately benched him and rightly so. That was almost a entire game. But the entire next game? Had it been that serious the ref would have given him a tech. Jmo. But he will learn from it and move on. We will see what happens in two weeks. 👍🏽

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
It's give and take with McGhee. He will give you 100% when he's on the floor, but he's a foul machine and a liability on defense. He should polish up nicely by the end of the season IMO.

Someone told me they remembered the commentators saying something about Jabari mouthing off at the ref after that one foul in the GW game. Barnes immediately benched him and rightly so. That was almost a entire game. But the entire next game? Had it been that serious the ref would have given him a tech. Jmo. But he will learn from it and move on. We will see what happens in two weeks. 👍🏽

Thank you ma'am. As you probably know, I thought that was a terrible call and I do remember him still barking at the ref as he walked away. Surely he wasn't sitting for a whole game over that. If so, Barnes is really sensitive about that sort of thing. Do you get to talk directly to your nephew pretty often. Would be interesting to know the real deal.

Barnes gives you that "shoulder shrug with an oh, well " feeling after a loss - that's not good.

Barnes gives you that "shoulder shrug with an oh, well " feeling after a loss - that's not good.

If you know going in they aren't going to be very good, is there any reason to get really pissed after a loss? I get apathy sucks but I'm not sure what you want Barnes to do right now. He was given less than what Tyndall had last year.

Thank you ma'am. As you probably know, I thought that was a terrible call and I do remember him still barking at the ref as he walked away. Surely he wasn't sitting for a whole game over that. If so, Barnes is really sensitive about that sort of thing. Do you get to talk directly to your nephew pretty often. Would be interesting to know the real deal.
Everyday! He said Barnes said absolutely nothing. I guess you would call that the silent treatment. lol

Not him, it's the way I feel right now about the program.
I don't want to say anything else negative about this team. Reading back over my posts I was getting close to TROLL status.

I'm settling this season for watching the young talent being brought along.
I also think the recruiting picture is much better than many realize.

Barnes gets a pass no matter what happens.

Everyday! He said Barnes said absolutely nothing. I guess you would call that the silent treatment. lol

Maybe if they've ever been told to not disrespect the refs, Barnes doesn't feel that he needs to explain himself. If he told them to do something and they don't listen to him then he might feel that he can't trust them and he might as well bench them. That's all just speculation though... maybe CRB is just giving the other guys a shot the see what they can do if given substantial minutes.

Barnes is a grizzled veteran heading for the Hall of Fame. Unless he's given up he's likely calculated every move and is measuring every reaction... even if it's not obvious.

If you know going in they aren't going to be very good, is there any reason to get really pissed after a loss? I get apathy sucks but I'm not sure what you want Barnes to do right now. He was given less than what Tyndall had last year.

4-3 wasn't a expected record by many at all at this point.

5-2 is the worst most expected at this point

OMG, a one game difference. You're right, time to blast Barnes.

We already have had the worst early season crowds in over a decade. The post was in reference to the op referring to his apathy which seems to a real problem accross the board.

This 4-3 start isn't helping with that apathy and that was the point

Not really considering the schedule gets worse but very very few picked 15 or less wins. It was only a few posters in fact
Most were too coy to actually predict.
Is 14-17 or 13-18 a prediction?

I was confident until I watched them play a couple times.
Then I chose the 14. I see about 3 more OOC wins.

VN Store

Back