volsarelife1 "CCM stand for 25 seconds offense" post game thoughts vs Missouri:

We thinking of the same play? They passed out of corner trap, their guy had his dribble along the sideline and wasn’t on the verge of being trapped.

Yes he was. He was in the corner and about to drive to the basket. Pat Bradley even commented on it during the game that he wasn't in a position to make a play.

If it's and buts were candy and nuts...

You can't think that way. You have to believe you'll get the rebound, force the TO, force the bad shot.

It can be a bad shot, and you can get the rebound....but what honestly are your chances of scoring from 75ft with 4 seconds on the clock?

- Cuonzo Martin just coached circles around Rick Barnes.

- Not calling a TO in the first half when there was no stoppage in play was about the dumbest coaching move he's made all year. Our guys were dragging and pissed away a 7 point lead because of fatigue and no TV timeout at the 8:00 mark.

- Mizzou employed the double team approach on Williams that Vandy exposed. It took him out of his game again and no one stepped up to shoulder the load.

- Mizzou played smothering D. Clogged the lane and we could not find easy shots. Guard play was pitiful and we were forced to shoot outside shots and hit very few.

- Allowed Mizzou to shoot 40%+. Now 3-5 in games we allow 40% or higher.

- Missed 5 FTs, lost by 4.

- Grant Williams decision to foul with 14 seconds left was so look dumb. Just a really boneheaded decision. One of his worst games this season from a basketball IQ standpoint. 4 TOs and that dumb foul.

- Kyle Alexander played well. John Fulkerson is a big bucket of struggle right now, especially offensively. Jordan Bowden is passive to the point of detriment.

Who ever thought we'd see the day that I'm throwing Barnes under the bus and everyone else is defending him? Lol

Yes he was. He was in the corner and about to drive to the basket. Pat Bradley even commented on it during the game that he wasn't in a position to make a play.

He had his dribble, he wasn’t looking to make a play because he smartly was running out the clock...if a double came he was in position to pass.

I get that and agree...again I just don’t like my chances on hoping a deep 3 from Missouri taken with 5 seconds on the clock doesn’t bounce high in the air...even if it falls into your lap you’re asking someone to go 75ft in 4 seconds for 1 shot....I prefer extending the game and making Missouri hit 2 free throws every time down.

We had a timeout. It's not like you to rebound and go 75 feet in four seconds all in one motion.

I thought it was a no brainer, again I would’ve fouled on the trap with 25 seconds left...Missouri had possession so even a tie up is their ball. I would’ve tried to extend that game as much as possible, I like my chances more that way than banking on a clean rebound and 1 final look having to go ~75ft in 4 seconds.

Agreed.

You let it play out and you re not even guaranteed to get the ball back much less have any time left to do anything with it.

Disagree all you want. 4 seconds is an eternity. No reason to foul there without forcing some kind of action.

They tried to force the action and it didn’t happen, then they decided to foul. Not sure where your Zo coaches circles around Barnes theory is coming from, but it was a just a loss to a tough team on the road. No reason to call out the staff at this point of the season

Who ever thought we'd see the day that I'm throwing Barnes under the bus and everyone else is defending him? Lol

Yeah, he isn't getting a pass from me on this one. The no timeout in the first half is inexcusable, even if you can forgive the late game foul/no foul scenario.

We had a timeout. It's not like you to rebound and go 75 feet in four seconds all in one motion.

So inbound it out of bounds now with less than 4 seconds? Sure it happens, but how often does that result in a basket?

Just a difference in strategy I guess, I rather extend the game...I’ve seen that work much more than I have going 94’ with 3.5 seconds remaining on the clock.

All that does is put 5 defenders guarding your 4 with your inbounder essentially being out of the play. Martin extends and you re going 75 ft or throwing a low percentage pass to midcourt at best.

If your timeout advanced the ball to midcourt it make more sense.

Why did those guys have to shoot so many shots? Zo had a great defensive plan. Made us beat them from outside. A lot of those shots were contested too. Meanwhile, our sorry perimeter D gave up wide open shot after wide open shot.

Missing shots doesn't tell the whole story. You have to look at why we were forced to take so many shots from outside and deep into the shot clock.

I would have been fine with making us shoot from the outside. For the most part, we have been good at that. Bowden missed several wide open shots. I agree that we also forced some. I will give credit to Martin, but poor shooting wasn't all defense.

They tried to force the action and it didn’t happen, then they decided to foul. Not sure where your Zo coaches circles around Barnes theory is coming from, but it was a just a loss to a tough team on the road. No reason to call out the staff at this point of the season

I detailed why in my original post. Me calling him out for this loss isn't turning my back on him midseason. Don't dramatize it. I think Barnes was outcoached in this game. No more, no less. Doesn't change my opinion of him.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, he isn't getting a pass from me on this one. The no timeout in the first half is inexcusable, even if you can forgive the late game foul/no foul scenario.

Agree. People going out of their way to blame the players and say that 2-20 from our guards is an "off night." Plus, Grant didn't even seem to try to play his game until it was too late.

Reactions: 1 person
So inbound it out of bounds now with less than 4 seconds? Sure it happens, but how often does that result in a basket?

Just a difference in strategy I guess, I rather extend the game...I’ve seen that work much more than I have going 94’ with 3.5 seconds remaining on the clock.

Mizzou was not in the double bonus. Extending was the right call in that situation.

I would have been fine with making us shoot from the outside. For the most part, we have been good at that. Bowden missed several wide open shots. I agree that we also forced some. I will give credit to Martin, but poor shooting wasn't all defense.

I didn't say it was.

I detailed why in my original post. Me calling him out for this loss isn't turning my back on him midseason. Don't dramatize it. I think Barnes was outcoached in this game. No more, no less. Doesn't change my opinion of him.

Your dramatiZing it. I just disagree with your overthe top

I can't reconcile how everyone is so quick to say the guards have an off night, but it's impossible for Barnes to. And that's all it is. Not fahr Barnes, not BBCM...just a bad coaching night.

Agree. People going out of their way to blame the players and say that 2-20 from our guards is an "off night." Plus, Grant didn't even seem to try to play his game until it was too late.

You can call it whatever you want. When 3 of your 4 guards go 2-20 your not gonna win many on the road. If that's blame so be it. Sometimes the ball just doesn't go in enough.

We had the ball inside !:30 to go down one and Grant thought Alexander was breaking to the basket and threw the ball away.

Clearly Barnes's fault.

VN Store

Back