What an arrogant...

Your question is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with what he said but some are just going to find fault regardless

Maybe it is...but the public relations aspect of this, no matter how it was meant, is suspect. He's under a microscope right now and needs to craft his message very carefully. He gets paid a lot, expectations are (maybe unreasonably) high. But clinging to "the system is infallible" won't win over many fence-sitters. He's done too much good to go out this way. A little humility in the face of this will engender a lot of patience.

Reactions: 6 people
The guy is an unlikable prick. He always has been, we just wanted to believe so badly we chose not to see it. But now with the slogans and rah rah high school bull@#$ being coupled with a hefty dose of arrogant condescension, I can't even listen to him without wanting to throw something.

Then why do you listen? Im serious. Im fascinated by someone who has such a visceral reaction to another person but chooses to tune in to that person's conferences.

Reactions: 2 people
Quote from the Monday press conf.

"You find out who's with you and who's against you... You write it down and put it in your back pocket. To reference later...."

Is this freakin guy serious!!!!!!!!!

Hope he has a real big pocket...cause every person on earth thinks he's an idiot

I'm really not seeing the issue with his statement. Doesn't everyone do this in their own way? I know I've definitely kept a mental list at times

Nor do I. He's acknowledging the heat and pressure and saying he is moving on and will maybe revisit the current tempest at a later time.

He also stomped that rumor about the physical thing with a player. Anyone know who asked that question?

Reactions: 1 person
With all due respect, that is not the context in which Butch said those words.

I heard him say , in a paraphrased manner, that he told the team that football is like life, and this is a tough time which they need to own and fix, and you find out who is with you and who isn't during tough times. And that at some point in life, you'll refer to this time, maybe later this season, maybe 10 years from now. So he wasn't talking specifically about remembering who is with you or against you, rather how you get through adverse times.

TIFWIW

Dang it man. We were all on an emotional pitchfork sharpening roll till you went and brought facts into this. Geeesh.

Reactions: 5 people
Again,

I heard him say , in a paraphrased manner, that he told the team that football is like life, and this is a tough time which they need to own and fix, and you find out who is with you and who isn't during tough times. And that at some point in life, you'll refer to this time, maybe later this season, maybe 10 years from now. So he wasn't talking specifically about remembering who is with you or against you, rather how you get through adverse times.

TIFWIW

THANK YOU! I was scratching my head trying to find the arrogance in his statement.

I think if the man said the sky was blue, there are some here that would find fault in his statement.

GBO!
:rock:

Reactions: 4 people
*****, *****, *****, *****.....Jesus people, we are grown ups here. Start acting like it. It's so funny the beginning of the year most of us say we will go 7-5 or 8-4 then lose three game early on and it's a FIRE BUTCH NOW!!! Get a raging clue, damn morons.

Reactions: 7 people
Definitely not a Dabo Swinney, that man can coach, I don't know much about him but he proved he can coach,and didn't take credit for the win.

If this team ends up going 8-4 with a bowl win, then we have a lot of people on this thread we can repost this quote for. It's not arrogance, it's confidence. Butch believes in himself. Would you rather have him telling everyone that we're going to lose every game?

It doesn't matter if the fans believe. He's trying to keep the team believing. If the team believes, then we have a chance. When they stop believing is when it gets much, much worse.

This team has more than one loss to bama on the schedule.

How butt hurt are you all?
You're just watching it to find something he said and blow it out of proportion.
I'm tired of coach talk too but jesus christ, nothing he says will make you happy so don't watch it.

Reactions: 3 people

TIFWIW

Thank you. As usual, some are looking for anything to support their current narrative that Butch is all sorts of awful. So yes, all comments will be taken out of context. In reality, he's the coach of a team that needs to be very carefully managed. If we want to avoid the season really going south, the players will need to progress and stay as positive as possible. Thus, don't read Volnation. There's critical analysis an then there's massive emotional hysteria. Those emotions are non-helpful.

Even Spurrier who is the biggest d&%k in sec history never turned on his fan base when they lost. They should be upset. I even heard him say they won nothing and the season was lost if they got 2cnd in the east and went 11-2 and won a bcs game. But Butch can't hold onto 14 point leads and is defensive.

How butt hurt are you all?
You're just watching it to find something he said and blow it out of proportion.
I'm tired of coach talk too but jesus christ, nothing he says will make you happy so don't watch it.

Actually if he said it's all my fault and I'll fix it immediately beginning next week, I'd be totally happy with that and find no fault in it.

Quote from the Monday press conf.

"You find out who's with you and who's against you... You write it down and put it in your back pocket. To reference later...."

Is this freakin guy serious!!!!!!!!!

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I don't think this quote is that bad... its this kind of mentality that gets you to play with a chip on your shoulder...and if playing with a chip on your shoulder is what gets the wins straight then I'm okay with it

TIFWIW

That isn't how I took it... If you watched it and watched the smirk on his face as he said it... I think the arrogance part of it would make a little more sense. I for one haven't been overly critical of Butch. I think he is underperforming for year three. But I was more than a little taken back with the tone he has taken with the media this year. All things considered.... the media in Knoxville has been pretty easy on him, imho

Reactions: 5 people
Whatever the context, that's an inappropriate comment for a high-ranking representative of UT to make to the media at a presser. It would be as inappropriate for Holly Warlick, Rick Barnes or Dave Hart as it was for Butch Jones. Yes, he's under a lot of pressure and, yes, the media has been critical of him, but handling the media is part of his job description. Giving them headlines that can be spun for clickbait isn't helping the team, the fans or the university-- as he has certainly learned by now.

Reactions: 8 people

TIFWIW

But, but, but that doesn't fit the narrative.. We want to be PISSED and crucify.... SOMEONE, ANYONE....

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back