What are the expectations on the year?

Warlick has been coaching for 30 years! She is what she is. Those who think she's going to become a different or better head coach with more experience are delusional. She won't. She's not the head coach at just any college--this is a program with major stature, not some training ground. Do you think the North Carolina men's program would hire somebody and say, 'Hey, give him more time, he's only been a head coach for a couple of years." No, they hire a proven winner--and so should UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Warlick has been coaching for 30 years! She is what she is. Those who think she's going to become a different or better head coach with more experience are delusional. She won't. She's not the head coach at just any college--this is a program with major stature, not some training ground. Do you think the North Carolina men's program would hire somebody and say, 'Hey, give him more time, he's only been a head coach for a couple of years." No, they hire a proven winner--and so should UT.

Go play in the road, Skippy.

Holly Warlick has not been a head coach for 30 years, and anyone who believes being an assistant and a head coach are similar is delusional. Anyone who believes this program hasn't been beset by an incredible amount of upheaval and turmoil over the past couple of years is an idiot. Holly Warlick is a very, very good coach, and things are just now settling down enough for her to be able to really prove it. There is no reason to think that she won't become better with more experience and less negativity (from all fronts) hanging over her head. Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure out of bashing the coaches, Warlick in particular? I think you do. Get over it. Holly isn't going anywhere, no matter how much you ***** about it. If you can't stop your incessant whining, find another team that you can actually support to pull for. The Lady Vols deserve better supporters than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I am not gifted with the psychic abilities with which so many of you seem to believe you are endowed. Unlike Darth Vol and Franklin Pierce, I don't presume that I can predict the future. However, I will say this: I believe many of you naysayers and Holly/coaching staff haters will be sorely disappointed when what you believe will happen (and on some level what you actually want to happen so you can continue to troll internet message boards) doesn't, in fact, actually happen.

I have no idea whether this team will make it to the final four or title game. Neither do any of you. But did you ever think of actually supporting the team and coaching staff instead of relentlessly putting them down? They haven't played a single game and ALREADY people are criticizing and complaining. People who do that aren't fans; they are ***holes. You know, sometimes people can become so demoralized by the constant criticism and naysaying that they won't perform like they otherwise might be able to. If you are constantly being told that you aren't good enough, that you aren't going to get anywhere, and being told that by the people who are supposed to be supporting you the most, then those predictions become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I doubt that any of the players or the coaches read this board or any other (or then again, during a quiet moment, they may), but the tone of the fan base is out there, internet forum or not.

The Tennessee fan base is in so many ways amazing, but some factions are absolutely ridiculous. It's pre-season. Shut the hell up with the negativity and support the team. Encourage them like other normal fan bases. I don't know of any fan base that has more than a few outliers who act the way some Tennessee fans do; it seems the Tennessee fan base is permeated with these idiots. If you are a fan, cheer the team on. Have high expectations for these players and coaches, because I'm telling you, they ARE capable. Instead of tearing them down (individually and as a team/coaching staff), build them up. Instead of constantly talking about what you think they can't or won't do, discuss what they can and will do. You know, people tend accomplish a lot more when they feel supported, encouraged, and appreciated, and it is the job of the fan base to support, encourage, and appreciate. Don't take the wind out of their sails before they even get started. And then if something doesn't go the way it is supposed to once play beings, talk about it, criticize the aspects that went wrong, and be upset about it, but don't bash. Don't demean. Don't demoralize. That isn't what a true fan does, even when things go wrong. The coaches and players know far better what they are doing, and they each have far more on the line, than any of you do.

Unless Holly stops landing quality recruits or has a couple of losing seasons, she isn't going anywhere. Get over the coaching staff bashing. She has accomplished far, far more than most head coaches with only two complete seasons under their belts. She doesn't yet have the head coaching experience that those to whom she is being compared (somewhat unfairly) have (and no matter how you cut it, being an assistant, particularly to someone like Pat Summitt, is not the same as being the head coach). However, she is a very good coach and there is no reason to think that she won't continue to get better and better.

I have been watching the Lady Vols play basketball for many years. I base my prognostication based on past performance and the healthy players on the roster that can play. Predictions are wrong many times.

Unless the newcomers prove themselves to be better than average performers against the very good teams, I can not see them reaching the Final Four. I hope I am wrong.

The teams that reach the Final Four have players that can take over a game. The Lady Vols have not had a player of that caliber since 2008.

I have been watching the Lady Vols play basketball for many years. I base my prognostication based on past performance and the healthy players on the roster that can play. Predictions are wrong many times.

Unless the newcomers prove themselves to be better than average performers against the very good teams, I can not see them reaching the Final Four. I hope I am wrong.

The teams that reach the Final Four have players that can take over a game. The Lady Vols have not had a player of that caliber since 2008.

How dare you have the audacity to discuss your expectations on the year in a thread titled "What are the expectations on the year?"

Well, I love my Vols. I just do not have a whole lot of faith in Holly's head coaching ability. It's not a knock on her as a person. Some people are great assistants, some are great head coaches. The game is a different game today. Let's hope we have not started our path of La Tech.

Well, I love my Vols. I just do not have a whole lot of faith in Holly's head coaching ability. It's not a knock on her as a person. Some people are great assistants, some are great head coaches. The game is a different game today. Let's hope we have not started our path of La Tech.

I don't think we have to worry about going the way of La Tech. I think the fact that holly is still able to land big time recruits and we continue to lead in attendence should put any of those concerns to ease. Remember, la tech pretty much plummeted from national relevance once Leon Barmore left the program. I think Tyler will do some good things over there and might even see the resurgence of a once mighty la tech program. Personally I'd like to see the old traditional powers like old dominion, la tech, USC, Texas tech, Virginia and Texas all become relevant again

My expectations are always high, win the National Championship, go undefeated, all starters All-Americans, then reality sets-in; SEC, either 1st or 2nd, make NCAA final 4, beat those teams we are suppose to beat. We need a killer attitude for our ladies!

Optimistic goals for Tennessee:
1. Make it back to the Final Four
2. Win the SEC Regular Season and Tournament Championship
3. Harrison named All-American
4. Beat South Carolina and Texas A&M
5. 4 losses or fewer on the season
6. Better than a 1:1 A/TO ratio

Tennessee should be better this year than they were last. They return everyone but Simmons and Russell. The inside combination of Harrison/Graves could be one of the better post combos in the nation (assuming Harrison continues to shine and Graves reverts to her freshman form), Massengale and Carter make up a strong backcourt duo and Tennessee has a very strong freshman class with 4 players capable of making big contributions.

They really need to make Final 4. If they don't the season will be a big disappointment.

Die hard Vol fan

With that being said, it all starts and ends with Pat.
example: Diamond wanted to play for Pat. Look what happened. She was just smart enough to do what was right...

Pat is a special women, we've heard stories about her on the recruiting trail and how she sold the program to all the All Americans in their living room. She has the national titles to back her up when she was in the homes.

When Geno hangs it up, you can bet Uconn will go into this 'gray' area that we are in. What I like about this team is the core group has learned the last two years, the name on the shirt isn't going to win you a game, it's the lady wearing the shirt doing the work.

I have faith in our program, our coaches, and our ladies. With a healthy year, Sec champs, final four. Massengale will be key. I thought we were finally seeing a new women ermerge last year. If she can pick up where she left off, I feel confident in my expectations.:)

Great Post volfanIND. We lost a legendary coach and every program will experience this at some point. Tennessee is very relevant but it takes time. I also believe in this coaching staff and players. People doubted us with Parker and we came away with 2 titles. I like being the underdog and I hope our women prove everyone wrong.

my one expectation is for the Lady Vols to make the tournament,then worry about it from there

Russel isn't going to play,Izzy likes to get into foul trouble,Simmons is gone and there is a boat load of freshmen coming in

so it is going to be an interesting year for sure,CHW has done a great job for a NEW head coach,she is still learning how to be the COACH and i think she is doing a good job

Optimistic goals for Tennessee:
1. Make it back to the Final Four
2. Win the SEC Regular Season and Tournament Championship
3. Harrison named All-American
4. Beat South Carolina and Texas A&M
5. 4 losses or fewer on the season
6. Better than a 1:1 A/TO ratio

Tennessee should be better this year than they were last. They return everyone but Simmons and Russell. The inside combination of Harrison/Graves could be one of the better post combos in the nation (assuming Harrison continues to shine and Graves reverts to her freshman form), Massengale and Carter make up a strong backcourt duo and Tennessee has a very strong freshman class with 4 players capable of making big contributions.

Yes, nice post. I would like another player to garner All American recognition,doesn't have to be first team tho. The only thing I would change is, no more than two losses, one regular season, one league. lol

Die hard Vol fan

With that being said, it all starts and ends with Pat.
example: Diamond wanted to play for Pat. Look what happened. She was just smart enough to do what was right...

Pat is a special women, we've heard stories about her on the recruiting trail and how she sold the program to all the All Americans in their living room. She has the national titles to back her up when she was in the homes.

When Geno hangs it up, you can bet Uconn will go into this 'gray' area that we are in. What I like about this team is the core group has learned the last two years, the name on the shirt isn't going to win you a game, it's the lady wearing the shirt doing the work.

I have faith in our program, our coaches, and our ladies. With a healthy year, Sec champs, final four. Massengale will be key. I thought we were finally seeing a new women ermerge last year. If she can pick up where she left off, I feel confident in my expectations.:)

Nice punch off the bench, she's going to better than most team 4th or 5th guard. We should win those matchup.

I really hope they've addresses the turnover issue. That seemed to be our Achilles heel last year, especially against Maryland where we turned the ball over 22 times. If we've addressed that, then I think the sky is the limit for this team..also, was it me or did it seem like the star player for opposing teams would have career days against us?? My wish is that we go undefeated and play an undefeated uconn in the nc before a record breaking crowd..that's my dream anyway haha

I really hope they've addresses the turnover issue. That seemed to be our Achilles heel last year, especially against Maryland where we turned the ball over 22 times. If we've addressed that, then I think the sky is the limit for this team..also, was it me or did it seem like the star player for opposing teams would have career days against us?? My wish is that we go undefeated and play an undefeated uconn in the nc before a record breaking crowd..that's my dream anyway haha

Maryland Terrapins vs. Tennessee Lady Vols - Box Score - March 30, 2014 - ESPN

Meghan and Izzy had 10 combined turnovers that game. Also important .... rebounding. We got out rebounded. Granted it was by 2. But with the final score of 73-62, let's change the rebound margin ... if Tennessee had 42 rebounds and Maryland had 40 rebounds, your adding two extra possessions for Tennessee and taking away 2 possessions from Maryland. Granted our bigs were awful in that game, but giving yourself those extra possessions could of made "a" difference. Coulda, woulda, shoulda! :crazy:

Because we lost Simmons, Russell, and don't yet have DeShields, I think this year's team will be similar to last year BUT I think last's years team underachieved and I'm hoping this year's team will at least meet expectations if not overachieve.

Because South Carolina got better, it's going to be harder to win the SEC regular season or championship or both. Because UCONN still has many of their pieces and because their head coach can use the USA basketball team to develop his talent, they will be a tough team in the NCAA and Notre Dame has yet to show signs of slowing down, too.

Stanford, Baylor, North Carolina, Maryland, and Louisville should all have some trouble adjusting after losing a major star.

But, the big unknown is how will other players step up? I was convinced Notre Dame would lose a step last year after losing Diggins, but they didn't because other players stepped up. Hopefully WE have players that step up. If every player on our team improved like Izzy did last year, we'd be a lock for the final 4 and have a puncher's chance to win it all.

Reactions: 3 people
because we lost simmons, russell, and don't yet have deshields, i think this year's team will be similar to last year but i think last's years team underachieved and i'm hoping this year's team will at least meet expectations if not overachieve.

Because south carolina got better, it's going to be harder to win the sec regular season or championship or both. Because uconn still has many of their pieces and because their head coach can use the usa basketball team to develop his talent, they will be a tough team in the ncaa and notre dame has yet to show signs of slowing down, too.

Stanford, baylor, north carolina, maryland, and louisville should all have some trouble adjusting after losing a major star.

But, the big unknown is how will other players step up? I was convinced notre dame would lose a step last year after losing diggins, but they didn't because other players stepped up. Hopefully we have players that step up. If every player on our team improved like izzy did last year, we'd be a lock for the final 4 and have a puncher's chance to win it all.

you nailed it 100%

Turnovers are an issue EVERY year with Tennessee--a function of our mediocre team offense and mediocre (at best) passing. It's not an issue that a lot of people recognize because we have more talent than most of our foes and so overcome our weak passing and sloppy play, but the problem is quite obvious when we play somebody good.

As is the case almost every year, you can pretty much pencil this team in for a spot in the Sweet 16, barring a major upset. The question is, will we be good enough to move on to the Elite 8/Final Four from there--or will we stumble and lose in the Sweet 16 regional when we face a decent opponent or two, as has been our habit. Warlick has yet to prove she can beat a good opponent. I frankly think UT soon will have to hire a proven winner. Look at what the soccer team did. We had a good soccer coach, she left for texas, and we went and snatched a good and proven head coach from maryland, who is getting that program back on track. Everybody likes Warlick, including me, but we cannot wait for her to adjust to being a head coach--or prove that she can be a head coach. This program is too big for that. Big programs don't turn to assistants--it's too risky. That is why when a successful coach leaves or retired, the school almost always goes out and gets another good head coach. Have you watched Warlick talk to the media? There is always a bit of nervousness, tentativeness, in her demeanor. She doesn't have that steel and that confidence that good head coaches have, because she was an assistant for so long. It is hard for a team to have swag when the coach doesn't have it. I think that is a bit of an issue for this team. That's my take. I hope I'm wrong and Warlick takes the team to the national title--but I haven't seen the swag and will be pleasantly surprised to see it this year.

Last edited:
Turnovers are an issue EVERY year with Tennessee--a function of our mediocre team offense and mediocre (at best) passing. It's not an issue that a lot of people recognize because we have more talent than most of our foes and so overcome our weak passing and sloppy play, but the problem is quite obvious when we play somebody good.

As is the case almost every year, you can pretty much pencil this team in for a spot in the Sweet 16, barring a major upset. The question is, will we be good enough to move on to the Elite 8/Final Four from there--or will we stumble and lose in the Sweet 16 regional when we face a decent opponent or two, as has been our habit. Warlick has yet to prove she can beat a good opponent. I frankly think UT soon will have to hire a proven winner. Look at what the soccer team did. We had a good soccer coach, she left for texas, and we went and snatched a good and proven head coach from maryland, who is getting that program back on track. Everybody likes Warlick, including me, but we cannot wait for her to adjust to being a head coach--or prove that she can be a head coach. This program is too big for that. Big programs don't turn to assistants--it's too risky. That is why when a successful coach leaves or retired, the school almost always goes out and gets another good head coach. Have you watched Warlick talk to the media? There is always a bit of nervousness, tentativeness, in her demeanor. She doesn't have that steel and that confidence that good head coaches have, because she was an assistant for so long. It is hard for a team to have swag when the coach doesn't have it. I think that is a bit of an issue for this team. That's my take. I hope I'm wrong and Warlick takes the team to the national title--but I haven't seen the swag and will be pleasantly surprised to see it this year.

Look at the players on the team. There's no one of the level of a Ogwumike(s), Stewart, Loyd, McBride, Sims, Thomas, etc... That's what's missing. When they have a 1st team AA level player on their team, that's when they will be playing in the final weekend.

Holly has done with the team about what Pat did with her team before she stepped down. If anything, Pat's last teams were much more talented, but weighed down with the issues beyond the basketball court.

What Holly needs to do is start bringing in elite players. The elite players will bring better results. Diamond is a start. Let's see what happens once she has a player of her caliber on the squad. With the talent on the team next year, if Holly still isn't making FF, then I'll understand why you're calling for her head.

she was good enough for CPS to want her to have the job,so that is good enough for me

and i don't really care about an interview

Reactions: 2 people
The next two seasons are big ones for Holly and her staff. She has a lot of talent this year but still a lot of young players and several who have been here a while that need to play better. Holly gets a lot more respect if she can beat a couple of the top ranked teams this season and also beat Stanford. We have to realize that Holly has won 54 and lost 13 for a .806 winning percentage. That is a very good percentage for a coaches first two seasons.
After this season we may have the most talented team in WCCB basketball. The addition of Russell from redshirting, Cooper, and DeShields is a lot to add to the talent already here. We need to get 30 plus wins that season and should get that many this year as well. So look for Holly to have over 100 wins in four seasons that would match just about what any coach has done in their first four.

Interesting discussion - I think Massengale is the key for you this year. She was 'handed' the starting PG job before she ever arrived on campus, and it took her two years to learn that she needed to earn it. I thought she started to do that last year before the injury and if she can build on that you will have someone creative and wiser to lead the team from the guard position. And if she is doing that you have a chance that Graves regains her passion - she looked totally frustrated the little I saw last year. Add her to Harrison and that is a strong three headed team that with moderate assistance from the other two on the floor can win a lot of games.
I think Holly is a fine coach, but I don't think she is a great basketball mind, and that is a limitation for the team. Pat was a great motivator and a great recruiter but was never the strongest 'x's and 'o's coach and that is Holly's heritage. Holly has done a good job recruiting (what coach couldn't with TN on their sleeve?) but is not in Pat's class as a motivator and I haven't really seen a lot of 'x's and 'o's showing through. It is early days for her - and I don't really know what she has done with her assistants which would be one way to go to improve the offensive and defensive concepts.
And defense may be the biggest question mark - weak side and help defense was a real problem last year - if a player got beat one on one (and every player gets beat some of the time) the seas parted and the team scored.
I also wonder how practice will go with DD - she is a very dynamic player and very unique - how does that work when she cannot play in games - does she completely sublimate her unique skills to provide the type of practice player who can help prepare the team that will play in games or is she allowed to beat up on the starters and sap their confidence. It is a delicate balance and will be a challenge for Holly and the coaches and for Diamond herself. It could be great for everyone, or it could be less than ideal.

Interesting discussion - I think Massengale is the key for you this year. She was 'handed' the starting PG job before she ever arrived on campus, and it took her two years to learn that she needed to earn it. I thought she started to do that last year before the injury and if she can build on that you will have someone creative and wiser to lead the team from the guard position. And if she is doing that you have a chance that Graves regains her passion - she looked totally frustrated the little I saw last year. Add her to Harrison and that is a strong three headed team that with moderate assistance from the other two on the floor can win a lot of games.
I think Holly is a fine coach, but I don't think she is a great basketball mind, and that is a limitation for the team. Pat was a great motivator and a great recruiter but was never the strongest 'x's and 'o's coach and that is Holly's heritage. Holly has done a good job recruiting (what coach couldn't with TN on their sleeve?) but is not in Pat's class as a motivator and I haven't really seen a lot of 'x's and 'o's showing through. It is early days for her - and I don't really know what she has done with her assistants which would be one way to go to improve the offensive and defensive concepts.
And defense may be the biggest question mark - weak side and help defense was a real problem last year - if a player got beat one on one (and every player gets beat some of the time) the seas parted and the team scored.
I also wonder how practice will go with DD - she is a very dynamic player and very unique - how does that work when she cannot play in games - does she completely sublimate her unique skills to provide the type of practice player who can help prepare the team that will play in games or is she allowed to beat up on the starters and sap their confidence. It is a delicate balance and will be a challenge for Holly and the coaches and for Diamond herself. It could be great for everyone, or it could be less than ideal.

Really good points UC..I think you pretty much summed up what's been going on with the team and what needs to improve so we can take Tennessee back to that "elite" level. With the freshman class, Tucker included, this team could be really dominant, or, if they didnt correct the turnover problem, could be more of the same..I think the freshman will be key to whether we play in the ff or not..

VN Store

Back