What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Mizzou Edition

If they don't see the change in Dobbs after a couple games then they will Saturday night. I think he is the key player in the game. If he is rolling then our offense will and if he struggles then so will our offense. All in all it should be close but I wouldn't invest all in your defense because ours isn't bad and your offense is absolutely atrocious. Congrats on the 200 yard rusher because I doubt that will happen again. I ll end with saying Mizzou is a very scrappy team and always finds a way to win. Should be a great game and GO VOLS :)

If we can stop the run and put the game on Mauck then we will get a couple of picks and win by 2 td's. I agree with sjt18 that this game will sorta preview our 2015 season sans AJ.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for info, I looked on my own just to see what their thoughts were and I got overly frustrated at terribleness of how their board is built. Seriously it needs a rethink.

I think the loss of AJ is huge but not something that will break the team. The overall chemistry of this team is something we haven't seen in a long time. They play for each other and the fans. If this was a Dooley led team, it's an automatic loss. Butch will have these guys ready and to the Mizzu fans thinking we haven't seen a defense as good as theirs, bro do you even internet? Our schedule is chocked full of defenses of better or the same as their caliber

Orange fist to the tigers face, Dobbs running all over the place, fans going nuts, not a single fan setting on their butts, neylands roar just to much tigers fold I love my vols it never gets old, so do the hokiepokie better think twice b4 u mess with old Smokey

It's WoodsmanVol before college!

Reactions: 6 people
Mizzou is scrappy but I think we hold advantage on every matchup except our Oline vs their DEs. But Dobbs will help to mitigate that and we may very well end the day with more sacks. Distractions for us and two long travel road games for them.

We win but it should be fairly close unless we get a good early lead and then we can turn on the heat.

Our D Ends aren't too shabby either. Maggitt and Barnett are just as formidable as Mizzou DE's. Barnett has already surpassed the total # of sacks Clowney had his freshman season. Vols win 31-21

"-Mizzou fans are essentially butthurt about the lack of respect they get as a prominent program. They are griping about us having several starters missing, saying that every game they win gets credited with them playing teams that have key players missing. They feel the world thinks they keep "backing in" to good seasons and records. "

Mizzou is going to have to do a lot to convince me this isn't a valid analysis. This is my summary of Mizzou football the last two years. It will be the same if they win this weekend - I will blame the major midweek distraction as much as anything else. I think Mizzou is garbage and a bottom feeder and will return there once Tennessee and Florida's programs stabilize.

They're definitely not a power nor consistently great...but I have to disagree with the bottom feeder idea; teams that have had 8 or more wins for 8 of their last 9 seasons wouldn't really be bottom feeders...those are the teams that win 2/3/4/5 games yearly and for whom that's the ceiling.

If you want to argue though that it's not a popular or prestigious or championship-winning program, though, by all means go ahead.

Reactions: 1 person
They are overestimating a team that appears mediocre because of the weak schedule they've played.

They HAVE backed into good seasons both this year and last. I hope UT can capitalize on its advantages and wear Mizzou out.

This is a VERY important corner turning game and maybe even more so without AJ. We will basically see the team that UT returns in '15 on Saturday.

Agree with backing into a good season this year.

I don't think anyone really "lucks into" or "backs into" winning 12 games in a given year in a major conference though...I say that for any team.

We are so spoiled here at VolNation!

Someone in that fan base really does need to make them a new message board though.

I'm wondering if the fact that it has endured so long was by any means a result of it being the only option (aside from the rivals/scouts/membership-charging ones).

Orange fist to the tigers face, Dobbs running all over the place, fans going nuts, not a single fan setting on their butts, neylands roar just to much tigers fold I love my vols it never gets old, so do the hokiepokie better think twice b4 u mess with old Smokey

Well there it is.

The dumbest thing I'll read all day.

Reactions: 6 people
They're definitely not a power nor consistently great...but I have to disagree with the bottom feeder idea; teams that have had 8 or more wins for 8 of their last 9 seasons wouldn't really be bottom feeders...those are the teams that win 2/3/4/5 games yearly and for whom that's the ceiling.

If you want to argue though that it's not a popular or prestigious or championship-winning program, though, by all means go ahead.

A few winning seasons DO NOT promote you from bottom feeder.
Want example?
2011....6-7
2012....9-4
2013....9-4
2014....3-7
That's Vanderbilt FYI. New coach yes, but a sudden change like that shouldn't happen.

Once UF finds a coach, that program is going to heat up again too. UT is already doing so, and UK may be warming up a bit too. Mizzou is 15 minutes of fame.

Want example?
2011....6-7
2012....9-4
2013....9-4
2014....3-7
That's Vanderbilt FYI. New coach yes, but a sudden change like that shouldn't happen.

Once UF finds a coach, that program is going to heat up again too. UT is already doing so, and UK may be warming up a bit too. Mizzou is 15 minutes of fame.
Stability breeds success even if it isn't the kind that leads to championships. As long as the Tigers retain Pinkel they'll have relative success.

Want example?
2011....6-7
2012....9-4
2013....9-4
2014....3-7

Really going this route? Because using "yeah, well Vanderbilt had 2 really good years before their coach left" is a terrible comparison. Anyway:

2003: 8-5
2004: 5-6
2005 7-5
2006 8-5
2007 12-2 Final ranking: 5/4
2008 10-4 Final ranking: 16/19
2009 8-5
2010 10-3 Final ranking: 14/14
2011 8-5
2012 5-7
2013 12-2 Final rankings: 5/5
2014 8-2

No on here is arguing "they're world-beaters," "they're powerhouses," "they're going to consistently be in or win the conference race," or "they're going to win 10-12 games every season."

They're by no means bottom-feeders, though. They haven't been remotely near that level, and it's been over a decade now. (I could get it if we were talking about that team in the 80s.)

They're by no means a great yearly team, but they're at least a middle of the road program at this point.

(Pretty much they're another Ole Miss...they'll spend most of their seasons finish middle of the road/pack; they'll have those every-so-often really good years, but they'll fall short of the kinds of championship victories needed to raise that program into the next echelon.)

Last edited:
I don't think they realize how different this team is from last year. Last years team still had Dooley's stink on it. Now we have freshman outperforming upperclassmen and Dobbs has completely turned a 180 from last year with a year under his belt. I hope they do underestimate us because if we play to our ability we could embarrass them. If they don't think they're lucky to only have 2 loses they are delusional. We could just as easily be a 3 loss team as they could be a 5 win team. I hope we come out and smash them in the mouth. Go Vols!!! :rock:

VN Store

Back