Where there's smoke there's fire?

Byrd, Wiggins, and Fils-Aime were tweeting some odd comments. Seems there may be some truth to part of the OP.

I don't use Twitter before anyone asks for specific Tweets.

Reactions: 1 person
And....Gruden is line up to come coach after him!

Guys...reallly. Don't believe it just cause its on the internet. :lolabove:

Reactions: 9 people
"I know for an absolute fact that Peyton and some other money guys are on the 'move on from Butch train'." - The guy overplayed it by mentioning Peyton and calling it 'an absolute fact'. I don't believe that Manning would ever take a stance for a coaching change. That's just not how he does things.

Aren't you doing the same by stating Manning doesn't do those things?

Reactions: 3 people
It's also possible Manning understands every aspect of football and sees that the longer this takes the worse the outcome.

Tennessee has built up a decent roster and fan support over the past few years. It would be dumb to let that completely crater before taking action. And possibly even more financially costly than a buyout. Manning is a business man himself as well as a player. He knows the game and the financial aspect of a program as well.

Peyton Manning would not take a stance to advocate for a coaching change. He didn't even do that when Dooley was here. It's not how he does things. Not. Buying. It.

Reactions: 9 people
Peyton Manning would not take a stance to advocate for a coaching change. He didn't even do that when Dooley was here. It's not how he does things. Not. Buying. It.

He may not have taken a public stance, but how would you know if he didn't?

Publicly no, but I doubt you know what he does behind the scenes. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but a lot of professionals take stances on things behind closed doors that they wouldn't take publicly. Who knows what boosters discuss in their circles. Just because he didn't come out and publicly say it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. That being said, I usually don't believe anything I read on here until I see it being reported publicly by a reputable source. So I'm taking this all with a grain of salt. I am a little concerned about the players leaving though because I've seen the tweets.

You know this how?

I went over and it seems everyone on there says his info has been accurate in the past.

I mean. This really isn't that far fetched to of happened....

A bunch of coaches with tons of pressure and expectations fall flat on their faces after a horribly coached game they should have won by every estimate get into a fight with one another about who is to blame?

Then the players see the guys that are supposed to be in charge are losing it as well....lose faith in them as leaders, them social media is full of nothing but articles cracking jokes about the trash can, about Butch about the play calls, opposing fans are talking crap, our own fans are tweeting crap....

I'm not saying all that criticism isn't deserved. But it does have its effects on players. Byrd could play anywhere else and be on the field every play. Here he sits on a bench and listens to everyone and their mother make fun of our team and coach.

Not a hard decision tbh.

Reactions: 2 people
I went over and it seems everyone on there says his info has been accurate in the past.

A bunch of coaches with tons of pressure and expectations fall flat on their faces after a horribly coached game they should have won by every estimate get into a fight with one another about who is to blame?

Then the players see the guys that are supposed to be in charge are losing it as well....lose faith in them as leaders, them social media is full of nothing but articles cracking jokes about the trash can, about Butch about the play calls, opposing fans are talking crap, our own fans are tweeting crap....

I'm not saying all that criticism isn't deserved. But it does have its effects on players. Byrd could play anywhere else and be on the field every play. Here he sits on a bench and listens to everyone and their mother make fun of our team and coach.

Not a hard decision tbh.

It is very far fetched to think a decision on the status of a head coach is going to be determined this early in the season... and I don't think anyone who posts to an internet message board is going to be in touch with what Thornton, Haslam and Co. are thinking... Not to mention, it's Currie's call anyway. Not buying a word of this.

Reactions: 6 people
This is all stupid and silly. I have never liked Butch but he is 2-1 and we could have won yesterday. I know its year 5 and Currie should look at things then. I dont believe nothing in that post.

Reactions: 6 people

Not a hard decision tbh.

I agree and really don't want to lose him. He was the #1 rated athlete on ESPN recruiting for a reason. I thought we might be losing him back in fall camp when i read the quote about him yelling "I told you, 1st round DB".

This is all stupid and silly. I have never liked Butch but he is 2-1 and we could have won yesterday. I know its year 5 and Currie should look at things then. I dont believe nothing in that post.

I'm worried about the players leaving. There are lots of rumblings out there about that right now. Not just this post. Also, it really wouldn't surprise me if the coaches got in an argument. The rest I'm taking with a grain of salt.

It is very far fetched to think a decision on the status of a head coach is going to be determined this early in the season... and I don't think anyone who posts to an internet message board is going to be in touch with what Thornton, Haslam and Co. are thinking... Not to mention, it's Currie's call anyway. Not buying a word of this.

Why? It happened to Les Miles about 1 year ago. He won a national championship and played for another one at the program that canned him and is a pretty well respected coach by most pundits and other coaches.

You act like Tennessee has never canned a head coach. Tennessee fired Johnny Majors and Philip Fulmer, but suddenly Butch is out of reach?

Phil and Peyton will finish out the season, and Gruden will be let go by ESPN and will be on board in Dec.

Reactions: 4 people
This is why I said "true or not, here we go." Rumor, fact, and opportunistic innuendo will become the norm for a while. It's all on the table.

Why? It happened to Les Miles about 1 year ago. He won a national championship and played for another one at the program that canned him and is a pretty well respected coach by most pundits and other coaches.

You act like Tennessee has never canned a head coach. Tennessee fired Johnny Majors and Philip Fulmer, but suddenly Butch is out of reach?

Not exactly the same thing as Miles had basically been fired the previous December... I'm not going to argue this. I just don't buy it. If Jones is fired it will be in either November or December and I certainly don't think a decision has been made by John Currie and that is who matters.

If that poster is connected to the program at all he needs to be gone. I know we're all up in arms about Butch and company but you don't air out the dirty laundry in public. Whatever happened to keeping things in house? What a coward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

Not a hard decision tbh.

Except it was never posted there, that was a Photoshop.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back