Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

Not true in any way...Dawn Staley makes 1.5 and will make 2.1 at the end of her contract...which will be extended again. Tennessee has nothing on South Carolina except tradition...and that is in the past now. Holly has set the program back so far that there are many coaches in much better position than taking this job. It's not a swipe because it is still one of the top programs but you can't get whoever you want. You could get a better younger coach who could lead the program back...but....

That’s like saying Alabama has nothing on Vandy except tradition. Silly.

Not true in any way...Dawn Staley makes 1.5 and will make 2.1 at the end of her contract...which will be extended again. Tennessee has nothing on South Carolina except tradition...and that is in the past now. Holly has set the program back so far that there are many coaches in much better position than taking this job. It's not a swipe because it is still one of the top programs but you can't get whoever you want. You could get a better younger coach who could lead the program back...but....
Sorry to be the one to point this out... but this really was a dumb thing to say. Tradition is always in the past. I also disagree that there "are many coaches in much better position than taking this job". There might be 5 coaches who have the current combination of incoming talent, facilities, fan support and national exposure as Tennessee (Geno, Kim, Muffett, Dawn and Jeff W). With the right hire, Tennessee could realistically be in the Final Four in 2021. There aren't many coaches who can say that from where they currently are.

Reactions: orangefloyd
IDT the name coaches like Muffet, Tara, Kim or Geno would be willing to come to UT. They've built their own successful programs at other schools like Pat did at UT, and they're well-compensated where they are. IDT the new elites like Dawn or Vic would be eager to come, either, for the same reason. They're also building legacy programs at other schools. And there really aren't any former LVs ready to step into this job-- or wanting to coach at this level.

Sure, UT will make the calls when a move is made, but there are going to be some respectful no's from top-tier coaches who're happy and successful at their current schools. It's very unfortunate that UT doesn't have a succession plan, but that's what happens when a revolving door of ADs have kicked the can to the next guy.
Can't see Kim leaving anytime soon. She has a bench full of young talent and with the new arena and practice facilities on the way recruiting shouldn't drop off.

Well, IMO they should be able to hand pick whoever they want! LV basketball was and still can be the dominant program! Id go after Vic Schaefer at Miss St, he’s only been there 6 years and look what he’s accomplished! Give him this talent and LV win immediately!

I would go after Brenda Frese first... and she makes $1.18 million per year, so they would probably need to bump her up to at least $1.75 million to get her... If she said no, how about Becky Hammon (the Spurs assistant)? There is no way an NBA assistant makes more than $750K per year and she is never going to get her shot as a head coach in that league - no way.

Or Muffett, or Walz, or VanDerveer or Staley, or Mulkey, or Graves, or . . . . The pool is very shallow and most of the top coaches are entrenched with a lot of investment in their programs. It might be better to look for another Pat Summitt. A young upcoming coach looking to make a mark.
Kara-Lawson.jpg

You bet! Every coach starts somewhere. You don't just start with 20 years experience.

Kinda like Holly started somewhere? I don't believe the pool is so shallow on this as some have said. I just think that most of us don't know who ALL the really good coaches are out there. We just know we don't have one.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Scott Rueck-Oregon state
Kelly Graves-oregon
Wes Moore-NC State
Kristy Curry-bama
All of these coaches make less than Holly does. I would say with a small bump over what Holly makes like 750 you could have any of these and for sure probably could at 1 million considering Wes Moore makes in the 400 range and Scott and Kelly in the 550-600 range.

Scott Rueck-Oregon state
Kelly Graves-oregon
Wes Moore-NC State
Kristy Curry-bama
All of these coaches make less than Holly does. I would say with a small bump over what Holly makes like 750 you could have any of these and for sure probably could at 1 million considering Wes Moore makes in the 400 range and Scott and Kelly in the 550-600 range.
Curry? No. Let's not make her out to be a good coach just because she beats Holly.

Holly not leaving, I don't care if they never win again and probably wont win an SEC game this season she's n the family her teams always
look like middle school team...……..

Matthew Mitchell. Knows the tradition. Coached under pat and wind at Kentucky. I wanted him when Pat stepped down. Get Phil off his f—a— and stop the bleeding before it is too late. Our football coaching situation was the laugh of the nation. Nor again. I am a Tennessee grad..

The two UConn assistants...

Chris Dailey is happy where she is, but TN is HER CHANCE to make HER name. I think Chris Dailey stays with Geno until a big fish comes around like TENNESSEE.

Chris Dailey first
Jeff Walz second
Shea Ralph third

Many of the other big names won’t make the move. Vic might, but I’d want someone younger anyway.

I'm thinking Many current successful Women's Coaches would JUMP at the chance to Coach THE PREMIER Program in the SEC, and the Bedrock of Women's Basketball. This thing could be turned around Quickly, with the Right Hire. This is LVBB!
You must have built your house on sand if you think the Lady Vols are the "Bedrock of Women's Basketball."

We can throw any name we want, but if the right people don’t show disapproval then nothing will happen! I hate to say this, but maybe a empty TBA is the answer! It’s a shame I say that because it’s not the kids fault that they are getting short changed by a terrible coach!!

VN Store

Back