Who are Prime New Head Coach Candidates?

Louisville had talent last year, but nothing by Tennessee standards.

As good as Mariya Moore and Myisha Hines-Allen have been as collegiate players, they were still ranked in the 30s-40s coming out of HS. Durr is their only top 10 recruit, and she was injured for much of last year.

People keep talking about how Holly gets to more E8s than other coaches all while ignoring the massive stockpile of top 20 players that she typically has on her squads. Give her Louisville's roster last year, and she doesn't make the tournament. Hell, give her UConn's roster this year and they probably wouldn't make the tournament either.

She can't coach at this level. She needs players that are pro-level and can coach themselves in order to win.

Which is why, if I hear another fan talk how things will be better with our No. 1 class next year, I will freak out. We had a No. 1 class this year! Every coach in America would kill to have our top 6 players. Geno A would be thrilled to have at least four or five of our top six, maybe all of them. DD and Nared are two of the most athletic and skilled wing players in the country; Russell was a no. 1 ranked prospect, and our guards--Reynolds, Middleton, Jackson--were all Top 20 national prospects, and I think Middleton was Top 10, maybe Reynolds, too. That's as good as it gets, folks. Warlick just doesn't know how to coach. She thinks that they should just play, make plays, but that's not how it works. If Geno A had this group, and his own, we'd be playing UConn for the national title, probably. He would be getting a lot more production and good play out of guards--who are our weak link--and would not tolerate poor passing and decision-making. We wouldn't even recognize this group.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 3 people
:clapping:Catchings was one of the best Lady Vols basketball players ever. Not only that she was one of the WNBA best ever too. She would be the perfect coach for the Lady Vols. Let's start a movement to bring her home and return the LV back to the Pat Summit prominence. She does not need coaching experience either. She was a LV leader under Pat Summit, what more do we need?

:clapping:
Tennessee must still be a prime job, so who is on your list?

Last edited:
Give me Dawn Staley, Jeff Walz, or Kevin McGuff.

Dawn staley & Kevin Mcguff are terrible. Staley is a pound it inside coach with no offense & mcguff team plays street ball no discipline at all. Nc state coach would be better than those two. He had way less talent and was able to have a great year, imagine what he could do with Tennessee roster.

Reactions: 2 people
Dawn staley & Kevin Mcguff are terrible. Staley is a pound it inside coach with no offense & mcguff team plays street ball no discipline at all. Nc state coach would be better than those two. He had way less talent and was able to have a great year, imagine what he could do with Tennessee roster.

agree with the above. Wes Moore and NC State fought hard in their loss. I would have loved to have his senior guard that fouled out in that game.

Reactions: 1 person
Scott Reuck at Oregon State. He has 0 McD AA. Jamie Weisner was ranked in 40's by ESPN, #207 by Blue Star and outside of Top 100 by ASGR, Sydney Wiese was ranked 80 by ESPN, 66 by Blue Star, and not in Top 100 by ASGR. Ruth Hamblin was not ranked by any services. Yet, he takes them to the F4 last year, in S16 this year, and won the P12 last three years (P12 has 5 teams in the S16, so not a weak conference).

Most of his other starters/rotation players are 3 star recruits, with a few Top 50-100 players sprinkled in (Pivec, McWilliams).

Imagine if he actually had our Oregon players on his team.

Reactions: 2 people
Which is why, if I hear another fan talk how things will be better with our No. 1 class next year, I will freak out. We had a No. 1 class this year! Every coach in America would kill to have our top 6 players. Geno A would be thrilled to have at least four or five of our top six, maybe all of them. DD and Nared are two of the most athletic and skilled wing players in the country; Russell was a no. 1 ranked prospect, and our guards--Reynolds, Middleton, Jackson--were all Top 20 national prospects, and I think Middleton was Top 10, maybe Reynolds, too. That's as good as it gets, folks. Warlick just doesn't know how to coach. She thinks that they should just play, make plays, but that's not how it works. If Geno A had this group, and his own, we'd be playing UConn for the national title, probably. He would be getting a lot more production and good play out of guards--who are our weak link--and would not tolerate poor passing and decision-making. We wouldn't even recognize this group.

Top 6? Don't you mean top 3

If Dawn Staley would take the job, then the conversation should start and end with her. If not, maybe Matthew Mitchell.

If Dawn Staley would take the job, then the conversation should start and end with her. If not, maybe Matthew Mitchell.

Say what you will about Mitchell, but he did a bang up job getting the most out of what players he had left after the summer Exodus.

Ive always been a huge fan of wes moore and what he was able to accomplish at utc and now what he is doing at nc state. He is also relatively young and is a great motivator..homerun hire right there

Ive always been a huge fan of wes moore and what he was able to accomplish at utc and now what he is doing at nc state. He is also relatively young and is a great motivator..homerun hire right there

Would get us back to competing for championships.

The UT lady vols basketball job, IMO, is still the 2nd best job in the country. We attracted the no. 1 recruiting class, thanks to Coach Law, even when we are way down. Why in the world would that translate to hire an up and coming coach because he may be cheap? Damn people, get a clue.

4th year at Belmont, 51-14 the last 2 years, 29-3 OVC those same 2.And had Ky on the ropes in the NCAA 1st rd this year before losing by 3.I believe he's more than up and coming or cheap.He was asst at Ga and Louisville before Belmont so he should know his way around big-time WCBB.Currie will do what he likes so it doesn't matter anyway.But Newbauer would/could not be worse than CHW

I agree....Staley isn't a great closer but she is better than Holly! Why would Staley leave SC?

Why not go after Little Pat at LSU? They played her last minute pep talk to the team I thought it sounded like Pat herself!! LSU went out and played their hearts outQ

On a side note, it looks like Florida is going after Becky Hammon. I'm surprised that Becky is considering leaving the NBA bench for this.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/21/15003670/sources-becky-hammon-finalist-florida-ncaaw-nba

Agree on a couple of things:

1. Warlick will be back to finish out her contract before any consideration will be given to replacing her.

2. This thread is just the latest version of countless other threads.

The only reason for commenting is to point out that Hammon was mentioned a year ago (if not before), and several dismissed the idea saying that she wouldn't consider the job since she was focused on making history by landing an NBA head coaching job.

The point is that, when the time eventually rolls around, no good potential pick should be ruled out. If Hammon does end up at FL, it doesn't guarantee that she will be successful there. But if she does and is, then it certainly will make the decision not to pursue her look bad if the LV program continues to decline or tread water with all of the advantages we have (top recruits, great fan base, great facilities, history, etc...everything FL doesn't have).

Last edited:
Say what you will about Mitchell, but he did a bang up job getting the most out of what players he had left after the summer Exodus.

Yes much more than anyone expected! He was very wise when he brought on Lin Dunn!
But, you can't forget HE was responsible for the Summer Exodus as well.

Yes much more than anyone expected! He was very wise when he brought on Lin Dunn!
But, you can't forget HE was responsible for the Summer Exodus as well.

I also liked how he took full responsibility for what happened over the summer, and busted his tail so that it didn't completely derail the season. No one is perfect, but owning up to your shortcomings is something that a lot of people neglect.

VN Store

Back